Laptop Cooling

caleb1

Just another general flight simming question for the knowledgeable members here:

Recently got a new laptop for flight simming to replace older desktop.  While it performs much better than my desktop, the CPU gets very hot, fluctuating between 88 and 98 degrees centigrade while the sim is running.  I hear this is somewhat normal for gaming laptops due to bad airflow in the small spaces, but still not ideal for best cpu performance and longevity.

Just interested in starting a discussion to see if anyone here is using a laptop for flight simming and has experienced high temps, and what do you do to help keep it cool?

I have seen things called laptop cooling pads, basically a flat panel of fans that you place under the laptop to force more air into it.  Does anyone here use one of these?

I have seen mixed reviews, sometimes people say it reduces temp by 10+ degrees, while others say by only 2 or 3 degrees....

Thoughts?

Caleb

• Sad 1

Hi Caleb,

just like you, I bought a modern (gaming) laptop to replace an older desktop. I use it for P3D v5. It gets very hot too (regularly above 80 degrees), so I bought a cooling pad. It's difficult to measure the effect (in my case, the temp reduction can't be 10 degrees, otherwise I would have noticed!). But I'm confident the cooling pad must help somehow, because it keeps the air moving (so hot air keeps moving away as well). 

Regards,

Mathieu

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Caleb

I have also used cooling pads for some laptops, but I also remove any covers on the bottom side, such as the memory access and HDD access covers if they are present, and it definitely helped, kind of like opening up the cowl flaps on an aircraft.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2