Retirement

I mentioned to my wife this morning that when I retire (hopefully within the next six years) I would like to invest in a top end computer system. She didn’t even flinch. Is this normal?
Cheers

Graeme ;)

When I retired eleven years ago, I figured flight sim would be my main interest. My wife was very supportive and urged me to get the right computer for the task. Two computers later, she still graciously says the same thing. She says spending a few bucks is easier than living with a grumpy husband :P

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

When I retired eleven years ago, I figured flight sim would be my main interest. My wife was very supportive and urged me to get the right computer for the task. Two computers later, she still graciously says the same thing. She says spending a few bucks is easier than living with a grumpy husband :P

Like Rodger and W2DR, my wife has been very supportive after I decided to get back into flight simulator after I "retired" at the end of 2011.  I started with the computer I had for general household use.  But then I discovered off the shelf hardware by Saitek that made it so much more realistic.  Unfortunately, though, when I started adding the Flight Information Panels (FIPs) the frame rate took a nosedive.  So I added a medium performance off the shelf computer, and net worked the two.  Worked well.  But when I decided to upgrade I went with Jetline.  Built to my specs, just for flight simulation use.  The beauty is great, knowledgeable help is a phone call away.  Throughout my wife has been most supportive.  Of course it helps immensely that we both went back to work part time.  Now with  the upcoming stimulus payment I'm considering doing it again, and upgrading from FSX to P3D.  Another feature of Jetline is they will install all of the software and make sure it works.  Wife and I were discussing this just last night.  

It comes down to, although togetherness is wonderful, it is good to have other interests, and especially during this pandemic  time, stuff to talk about.

So, Graeme, you are fortunate to belong to the club of those with wise and supportive wives even though they do draw the line at Ferarris.

Ken

Archived