MSFS Orcas - chance at getting updated ground textures and markings?

ravenn22

I picked up Orcas last night and something felt off right away ( and this isn't an airport I'm familiar with IRL )

A quick check on maps showed there's a bunch of little fixes to ground textures and airport markings that I think would go a long way to making the airport feel a bit more real.

( I'm not trying to be picky, but constructive... )

• Updated custom ground materials
  • 2 double stripes on threshold
  • Blastpad - 5 stripes, in white
  • Runway numbers - black outline
  • More accurate taxiway centerline markings
  • Add taxiway markings at T-hangars ( center east )
  • Custom decal for EMS helipad
  • Closed X for west center taxiway
  • Segmented Circle - scale to match underlying ground texture
  • etc...

The custom buildings and decor is nice - and I'm enjoying flying out of here...  It'd just be great if the ground materials and markings could get a little more love.

Thx!

1591098356_orcas01.thumb.jpg.26125875bb28aed8e6f01be841f029fc.jpg

2114633712_orcas02.thumb.jpg.f755c312fe243d76b439abd43a1c8a9d.jpg

966185563_orcas03.thumb.jpg.7ac8c2bb4e79c5b2b80c39a90b2c41b7.jpg

746810334_orcas04.thumb.jpg.351efeded01bba7916b17c7f67ddee78.jpg

176963012_orcas05.thumb.jpg.bfcb96c03a5c924d06554144032bf44a.jpg

I second this entirely. I fell in love with PNW flying in the sim through Orbx, specifically with Orcas Island. I had the immense pleasure of flying here myself in the real world, followed shortly after by the release of this scenery for MSFS. I was a bit surprised at the number of markings inaccuracies, and it seemed very un-Orbx. I still love the area and the airport but would love to see an update to this classic scenery!

Don't know if the devs will concur but as far as I know runway markings are more often that not preset, especially in MSFS.  So unless the airport is going to be fully photoreal and thereby lose some of the advantages of having crisp runway textures, you might be stuck with what is in the scenery.

11 hours ago, John Dow said:

Don't know if the devs will concur but as far as I know runway markings are more often that not preset, especially in MSFS.  So unless the airport is going to be fully photoreal and thereby lose some of the advantages of having crisp runway textures, you might be stuck with what is in the scenery.

That's not correct, the MSFS SDK allows for creating your own custom ground markings textures and decals. I'm working on a small MSFS freeware scenery for New Zealand at the moment and I created some custom runway end markings for that. So it's possible although time consuming. 

I am not sure about MSFS but in P3D any custom markings are not visible for the same distance as the default markings. For this reason I only use them in special situations. They are OK for taxiways and aprons but for runways it is better to use the default.

Larry

50 minutes ago, larryisenor said:

I am not sure about MSFS but in P3D any custom markings are not visible for the same distance as the default markings. For this reason I only use them in special situations. They are OK for taxiways and aprons but for runways it is better to use the default.

Larry

I didn't notice any difference in visibility for my custom decals but I'll double check again before I release it on Saturday, thanks for the information 

Archived