London Landmarks for MSFS - thank you

andy1252

Didn't just want to lose this in the screenshots folder, but this is just to say "nice work" on the London landmarks update.

Just one shot to show it's all back the way it should be (IMO). This is with the MS UK update in place but with photogrammetry turned off globally and the tickbox for "with MSFS UK world update" set in the London City Pack control panel. Some photogrammetry in MSFS works really well, but all the stuff in the UK that I've seen sucks big time, so I shall leave it turned off when I fly in the UK until they fix it properly. But it's no loss now that I've got my London back, so thanks to the Orbx folk. I've had a bit of a moan about the new "logo" in another thread here, and I wasn't totally convinced about the Brisbane package, but this has restored my faith somewhat, so thank you.

LAAs20w.jpg

Thanks Andy, that's unfortunate but Asobo's Photogrammetry version indeed isn't fun. I repeated a flight from EGLL to Sound End cross London which I did with PG on yesterday, this time with PG off and Orbx landmarks London and the overall impression is indeed much, much better. Plus, performance is higher and color is much more consistent. These grey-brownish PG buildings are so dull.

Downside is, PG can only be enabled/disabled globally. I'll have a closer look what I am going to miss in the rest of the UK, but certainly a number of nice landmarks.

Actually, Asobo should redefine London but I doubt they will ever touch it again now they probably set foot to France already. I'm afraid we'll have a Déjà-vu in Paris next month.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

actually, it's possible to separately deactivate photogrammetry (PG) that is provided via a World Update because it has a separate entry in the content manager. Moreover, since it's just a small folder that activates rather than includes the data (all PG is streamed), installing and uninstalling it won't take long.

WU UK - Content Manager UI with UK updates not installed.jpg

Then again, the global PG on/off switch can be accessed during a flight so it's easier to correct if one forgets to make the desired change beforehand.

Given that PG is streamed it's possible that better data will become available at some point though that depends on the plans of the original provider (BlueSky for GB) and the specific licensing agreement with MS.

Cheers, Holger

16 minutes ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi Michael,

actually, it's possible to separately deactivate photogrammetry (PG) that is provided via a World Update because it has a separate entry in the content manager.

Thanks, that's probably what I will do. I was pretty proud my system could handle all MSFS sceneries so far and even very demanding ones, but London seems to be just beyond.

Kind regards, Michael

9 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Didn't just want to lose this in the screenshots folder, but this is just to say "nice work" on the London landmarks update.

Just one shot to show it's all back the way it should be (IMO). This is with the MS UK update in place but with photogrammetry turned off globally and the tickbox for "with MSFS UK world update" set in the London City Pack control panel. Some photogrammetry in MSFS works really well, but all the stuff in the UK that I've seen sucks big time, so I shall leave it turned off when I fly in the UK until they fix it properly. But it's no loss now that I've got my London back, so thanks to the Orbx folk. I've had a bit of a moan about the new "logo" in another thread here, and I wasn't totally convinced about the Brisbane package, but this has restored my faith somewhat, so thank you.

LAAs20w.jpg

Great Shot Andy good to see that the HMS Belfast has risen from the depths once more and not 

replaced with 2 identical cruise ships B)

9 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Then again, the global PG on/off switch can be accessed during a flight

Definitely my preferred choice. I usually leave it on until I find myself down low over somewhere really ugly and then I'll just pause and switch it off. As I'm not a procedural flyer (barely any kind of flyer, really<grin>) I don't feel any loss of immersion in the flight.

Archived