Honeycomb Alpha Yoke and Bravo Throttle quadrant

B12

Owned the Honeycomb Yoke for some time now, used it and tested it but set it aside when I learned they were producing a Bravo Throttle Quadrant too.

Best Yoke I've ever used though.

As the Bravo throttle quads became available for the first batch felt sure I would be in there, but no ... ordered from a German dealer on Amazon, same place/dealer I ordered my Honeycomb Alpha Yoke from, they were and still are in hot demand I suppose and we cant blame the Miners for this I guess :)

The Pandemic has taken a terrible toll on factory production all over the world for just about everything and that's totally understandable. not only are new high end CPU and GPU's hard to find and need to pay over the odds, but flight sim controller hardware too, seen this confirmed on several forums where new to FS2020 folk were desperately looking for suitable FS hardware to fly the sim, we all found it hard to find! Had a couple of old Saitek Rudder pedals here and thought now would be a good time to sell I suppose, so on to Ebay they went ... I'm not a greedy person, but WOW what they both sold for, each more than when they were brand new, easily, had looked after them, original boxes ETC ... so fair play and you know what, with money I had set aside for original Honeycomb Bravo throttle  and profit made on those Ebay wins, set about looking for the Honeycomb Bravo on Ebay as well ... Oh my gosh, they were selling well, bidded on a few that topped out at about  £480 ish ... in each case it looked like an entrepreneur had bought a few and circumvented the measures somehow for profiteers and they were selling on Ebay UK like hot cakes for a bit ... they should cost about £270 ish in UK if times were more normal ... but these are not normal times and it looked like one last Bravo was on UK Ebay, set myself a limit of £500 and was winning and just like my CPU and GPU times for build was hammering my F5 key, with about a minute to go was outbid but had already set a new limit and had prepped in £520 all ready to enter, F5ing still and at 10 seconds hit the enter key closed my eyes and kept my fingers crossed and held my breath ... when I looked at screen again I had won, Yay ... a lot of money and way over the odds, but what can you do? I'd sold off two sets of Saitek Rudder pedals gathering dust I'd almost forgotten about, so for me, it was fine.

Anxious wait, but guy was decent and posted next day delivery and it was indeed a brand new unopened Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quad, am absolutely delighted with it, its actually much better than I thought it would be according to video reviews I'd watched, all set here now, good rig, good gear ETC. If I have to stay inside Pandemic wise just now, then at least I can enjoy my Flight sim hobby as best I can.

Stay safe all

TQC6EQ7.jpg

0OmjAnK.jpg

eppF3sF.jpg

d6c3H9v.jpg

LHG9U4J.jpg

9DipVsq.jpg

k9xba6f.jpg

nXfNXrC.jpg

8ZxqZuz.jpg

That is a super cool setup you have :)

One question if I may.  The red rgb lighting on the yoke panel kinda makes me wonder if something is going really badly wrong behind the scenes. 

Or is it just like my computer -  Rgb lighting abounds and I spend part of each day trying to work out how to turn it off. I'm just not a fan personally, but I can certainly see the enjoyment that others get from it.

I really like the looks of the throttle quadrant.  You did very well indeed with your purchase.   

And you are absolutely right.  We are all confined , but with Orbx and our flight sim of choice  we can still virtually visit  almost any part of the planet.  It makes for a great wish list for holiday travels with my wife once all this is over.

Thanks for posting this. I very much enjoyed reading about your setup and see how it has all come together.

PS- if you are in doubt if I am green with envy .... yes I am ! :D:D

Cheers & all the best

Pete

Hi Guys. My son bought the Honeycomb Yoke and the red lighting renault you can turn that down so it’s hardly showing. It is very good but we do not have the throttle yet and not likely to the way things are going. I have a question as I read somewhere that MSFS is more Cpu dependant than Gpu. Is that right or wrong. Thanks Derek.

2 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi Guys. My son bought the Honeycomb Yoke and the red lighting renault you can turn that down so it’s hardly showing. It is very good but we do not have the throttle yet and not likely to the way things are going. I have a question as I read somewhere that MSFS is more Cpu dependant than Gpu. Is that right or wrong. Thanks Derek.

Hi Derek

Thank you for explaining the red led lighting.  The Honeycomb Yoke  looks like a very nice bit of kit.:)

I don't want to "highjack" the thread, so I have PM'd you a screenshot of my typical system behaviour.  Quick answer, in my experience GPU usage is the dominant factor in MS2020

Cheers

Pete 

18 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

I have rtx3090 and if I turn dev mode on, it constantly shows that I’m restricted by CPU.

Thanks PiotrMKG for your comments and yes I have been told that the sim is CPU dependent. Oh you lucky so and so, a nice 3090. If only. I need a nice new Cpu but as things are going that is going to take awhile yet. Thanks Derek.

6 hours ago, PiotrMKG said:

I have rtx3090 and if I turn dev mode on, it constantly shows that I’m restricted by CPU.

Hi Piotr

I think in many respects both of us are correct and  perhaps the best answer is it depends on our personal performance expectations for particular hardware, resolution , desired frame rate , internet speed, server latencies etc.  You have a very powerful  multicore CPU, coupled with a current level state of the art GPU with a PCIE4 connection  and what you see for your particular hardware configuration and desired mode of operation is a completely fair observation. 

My system is less powerful , certainly on the gpu side and I restrict my frame rate and my observation  is based upon that.

In truth, what I believe we all desire is the best performance from a completely balanced system that we can afford.

However getting a balance between computational performance and rendering performance may be a never ending journey for many of us.  As much as we all wish for the next greatest technology to solve our problems, my own experience is that some things get dealt with, while other issues develop to take their place. 

But I suspect that both of us are very happy with how our individual systems perform and as long as we can enjoy our hobby to the fullest extent under those circumstances , isn't that the best answer one can give.

So perhaps, the question that Derek asked is a valid question , but somewhat  irrelevant if one is happy with their particular system . In many respects if is always about balancing expectations with the reality of cost and that is why I believe that we all desire to have the best system that we are able to afford to meet those expectations.  So there is no "black and white" simplified answer from my perspective because even with unlimited budgets,  it is very difficult, perhaps impossible to meet all our expectations without some compromise.

I could be very wrong but if one waited 5 yrs and asked the same question I suspect the specific aspects of the answers may be different , but conceptionally we will still be discussing the same broader context . 

A a simple example if I may.  Perhaps 4K will be old hat by then and current technology  of the day may have advanced to 8, 12 or 16K or beyond as the next new thing.  Yes the specific problem may then  be getting desired performance levels at 16K , and wouldn't that be a wonderful discussion compared to where we are today :).  Hardware and software solutions will have advanced,  but the issues we face today will still be there , just at a different level.

Cheers:)

Pete

On 2/28/2021 at 1:31 AM, renault said:

That is a super cool setup you have :)

One question if I may.  The red rgb lighting on the yoke panel kinda makes me wonder if something is going really badly wrong behind the scenes. 

Or is it just like my computer -  Rgb lighting abounds and I spend part of each day trying to work out how to turn it off. I'm just not a fan personally, but I can certainly see the enjoyment that others get from it.

I really like the looks of the throttle quadrant.  You did very well indeed with your purchase.   

And you are absolutely right.  We are all confined , but with Orbx and our flight sim of choice  we can still virtually visit  almost any part of the planet.  It makes for a great wish list for holiday travels with my wife once all this is over.

Thanks for posting this. I very much enjoyed reading about your setup and see how it has all come together.

PS- if you are in doubt if I am green with envy .... yes I am ! :D:D

Cheers & all the best

Pete

Hi Renault and thanks.

DadTom explained the Honeycomb Yoke lighting very well ... its just for bling I suppose? it doesn't help illuminate the yokes switches or anything like that unfortunately in a darkened room on night flights, there is a little dimmer switch at back of Yoke that goes from full bright Red to nothing. I keep it off normally.

However... Its a good Yoke, best I've tried that are affordable whilst still retaining multiple switches ETC that we really need in computerised Flight Sim IMHO, Tried the CH Yokes and both versions of Saitek yoke inc Cessna one over the years, this one is much better ... there are some really expensive Yokes out there, but with limited buttons and switches, would like to try one, but happy with what I have to be honest ... crazy money for some of those all metal construction Yokes, once Honeycomb can meet demand, prices should return to normal levels for their controllers ... works out of the box now with XP11 and FS2020, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quad too.

Honeycomb have some interesting Rudder Pedals coming out in near future that I'm sure will be good quality, but all good here for Pedals.

On 2/28/2021 at 9:00 PM, Donka said:

What other kit do you have if you don't mind me asking? Looks like Virpil and Thrustmaster. What about your TPM unit?

Hi Donka, good to see from your sig you have your FS rig in action.

Virpil wise, have two of their stick bases, one is on the seat and this is for my TM Warthog grip with short extension ... stock TM Warthog base is awful compared to it, second Virpil stick base, both are VPC MongoosT-50 Base's, the older model and new one too CM-2 I think and that is the one seen in background with curved extension for central mounting on desk and Monstertech mounting that can quickly be moved in when needed with its quick clamping mechanism, this has the newer TM Hornet grip on top.

MY TM Warthog throttle I modded with a popular slew mod, much better than stock item and an easy to fit upgrade.

On the seat ... or underneath it is a Buttkicker V2 and everything on the seat has its own powered hub and can be switched off at the side if not needed for different types of sims and controllers ... the Saitek TPM I built into my desk a while ago you see is redundant now because of my new Honeycomb Bravo quad and going on Ebay soon, same as a Saitek Trim wheel .. PM me if you are interested and that's allowed here? No worries, don't want to cause any agro with Orbx who provide us with this great forum :)

Have the full suite of Saitek panels and 12 of the FIP LCD gauges too (Beta tested these for Saitek) not sure what to do with these yet, want a lean mean system that can be quickly swapped around for my various sims, civil flying, military flying and high end gaming like ARMA3 ETC.

Have a couple of TM MFD's that hopefully this year I will mod with working mini LCD monitors for DCS, this can be done and is the icing on the cake when flying their A-10C.

Rudder pedals are the Thrustmaster TPR's I modded with a generic Motorcycle steering damper ... not my idea, lots of TPR owners have done this mod and i just copied them, what a difference it makes though for these pedals. like night and day, they are now perfect IMHO.

I'll post up some new pics soon.

Cheers.

An example of how I modded my Thrustmaster TPR's with a Motorcycle steering damper, its important if you decide to to this, measure twice and cut once ... that's an old saying we had in the oil rig fabrication industry in Scotland, what you want is to have the damper have a little slack at both ends with the rudders at full yaw movement left and right ... this guy never quite managed that, for dedicated Helicopter flying you can remove the middle springs and the pedals will stay as they are, tried it, awesome, 99.9% of what I do is normal fixed wing aircraft though, so kept the TPR stock springs at tightest tension for return to centre travel, with the damper it needs more, there are better stronger springs, but for the life of me could not find them? Mudspike and DCS forums came to the rescue, just appropriate strong elastic bands wrapped appropriately on parts behind the TM TPR's work perfectly and pedals return to centre fine while I look for a better solution.

Have to say though, these pedals with the damper mod and non returning, best flying I ever had in DCS Huey for that module, with the damper mod its still a massive improvement .. all mileage varies I guess.

Oh, and if you decide to mod your pedals this way, that's your Thrustmaster warranty out the window of course ... nobody is endorsing this here, at your own risk stuff.

What a difference though in rudder precision in all sims I've tried, the pedals are far too light and flighty from stock, you can get used to that of course, but its not right, for the price of these pedals I think they should have had a damper out of the box MFG Crosswinds come with this option too now.

Found my old pics of my TM TPR Damper mod to share.

Took a while before I was satisfied to go drilling, getting the right bits and bobs from Amazon/Ebay etc and my spares box too did take a while, wanted to do it right, wanted no play where sleeves and bolts would be, getting the actual steering damper was a joke ... took ages, never noticed I'd ordered from a China dealer and when that parcel did arrive they had sent me a wee charm necklace by mistake ... I'm not joking! All came right in the end though :)

My Damper mod might look different from others angle wise you will see on the net, depends on the damper length you get I suppose, you really do need to measure carefully before attempting this mod ... what you want is a little bit of spare travel at each end of the damper when the rudders are moved to their extremes left and right in the yaw axis with no play or slackness in any area.

Best mod I've ever done for any of my FS controllers, what a difference.

Pics and in no particular order with some temp test fitting too ...

ZgG9Pgn.jpg

JC9jCVN.jpg

imsIBaD.jpg

HiWvmZG.jpg

qHg955s.jpg

So how am i gonna do this? This way

tLiStt0.jpg

Or that?

UUbKIPQ.jpg

Gotta love Loctite

7yIIwDs.jpg

Do I really want to ruin this, last chance saloon here before drilling and void my warranty ... Yes I do :)

oQgU5lm.jpg

Checking for clearance in all areas, the original damper bolt had to be longer ... more delays!

0qI7ZZy.jpg

Finally, and it works as intended ... super pleased, yaya :)

tRD9FhJ.jpg

Archived