RTX 3070, RTX 3090 and 6900 XT

harpsi

Hi, 

I would like to know if the less expensive one, RTX 3070, is much worse than the others concerning the price. At this moment it is impossible to find RTX 3080 and 6800 XT, since both oth are not available in almost any country. I would like to run MSF2020 with detailed addons like sceneries, aircrafts, full AI traffic, weather, and so on with at least 25 fps. I am planning to buy i9 - 10900K processor.

harpsi

A lot will depend on what resolution and settings you are planning to run at.

I did a quick comparison between the 3070 and 3080 at the following link which may help guide you. This was at 3440x1440 resolution so kind of a half way between 1440p and 4k:

8 hours ago, Donka said:

A lot will depend on what resolution and settings you are planning to run at.

I did a quick comparison between the 3070 and 3080 at the following link which may help guide you. This was at 3440x1440 resolution so kind of a half way between 1440p and 4k:

Nice review.

I just have 4 options:

1 - RTX 3070: more or less 840 euros

2 - RXT 3090: more or less 2200 euros

3 - 6900 XT: more or less 1460 euros

4 - Waiting some more less until some RTX 3080 come out

All the other components are not a problem to find. All the videocards are Asus TUF OC...

Resolution? Well, I prefer 4k but is it so different from the non-4k resolution?

Suggestions are welcome, considering that I would like to run MSFS with all detailed addons like busy sceneries, complexed aircrafts, AI traffic, weather, and so on, with more than 25/30 fps. 

From what I have seen, a 3070 would be the bare minimum for 4K but with everything maxed out I would aim for a higher card like 3080 or up. I personally don’t think the 3090 is great value for money but everyone has a different perception and it would give the best experience for MSFS at 4K. 

5 minutes ago, Donka said:

From what I have seen, a 3070 would be the bare minimum for 4K but with everything maxed out I would aim for a higher card like 3080 or up. I personally don’t think the 3090 is great value for money but everyone has a different perception and it would give the best experience for MSFS at 4K. 

The question is: forget 3080... They will be not available in the next months... I am waiting since October...

5 minutes ago, Donka said:

Yes, it’s just luck if you can score a 3080 at the moment. 

I can only count on my country because many countries do not sell products for other countries. I already contacted several shops and I am on waiting lists since October. There is no prevision for stock reposition in the next months... :( 

I have a 3070, an old i7 processor (Xeon 5820) and I got the following results.

Just for fun before I got the card I MAXED out every single thing at 4K and benchmarked taking off from GCRR (in MSFS2020). I got 7-9 fps.

I installed my 3070 and did the same test and got 19-21 fps. Turning it back to very high settings in 2D, I'm getting 45-55 fps depending on where I am.

I run it at 4K at mainly very high settings and I haven't yet suffered any fps degradation even over KLAX. VR is ok too and I am quite happy but obviously I have to run that at medium until it's optimised.

In Xplane 11 both in VR and 2D it's totally stutter free with high fps. Over Lanzarote in 2D, with very high settings, I'm getting up to 120fps, which is a bit of overkill I know!

In 3D Mark, my 3070 is faster than my twin 980ti cards in SLI mode, which 3D Mark uses.

Hope this helps make up your mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, 

I have the possibility to have a not so expensive videocard Radeon 6900 XT. I would like to know your inputs. People say that it gets hot quite easy and it is not so good for MSFS... It costs 1600 euros.

To buy or not to buy?

7 hours ago, Ivan Majetic said:

My local PC shop here in Zagreb just got gigabyte 3070 card and the price is 1474 eur. And Sapphire 6900xt has a price of 2125 eur. Think I’ll pass. 

I bought my 3090 for 1900€

• 3 weeks later...

Bought my RTX 3090 for £1600 when it should have been £1400 RRP FE before December and that was still a crazy price, they can go easily for £2000+ now and a lot, lot more on Ebay, one of my Pals offered me 2 grand for mine, needed it for what I do though.

That cargo ship stuck in the Suez Canal cant help imports either and every tanker is getting held up behind it !  Not saying its full of RTX 3080/3090 cards but I bet there are a fair few thousand on it and other cargo ships backed up behind it ... really glad I pumped for mine when I did :)

Archived