Average frame rates on Quad Core Q6600 and 8800GTS

Jonny D

Just a report on my performance

I have been running the "+fullproc." addon as instructed by Mozz.My cpu is an x6800  dual core duo, overclocked to 3.6.

Firstly my performance graph shows core 0 running at maximum capacity and core 1 at about 10%. This was what they showed without the addon.

But now my processes report show 50/60 % usage. My keyboard reports about the same.

BUT performance wise. I am now running with autogen set to "dense" Weather set to maximum cumulus coverage. Airport traffic set to max and aircraft and boats etc all set to 100%.  And I am seeing it all! And I am still running at 22+ fps. (Maxed at 23)

Without the addon I was getting very little airline traffic and no airport traffic. And I could not show more than 50% cumulus without getting a fps drop.

I don't know how it does it , but it certainly works for me.

Thanks Mozz.

/realtime does not work Mozza, but the +fullproc. flag is a bottler! Both cores on the lappy now maxxed out and a definite improvement. Strangely on that quad core in our office you and Timbo played with last December, it made it lock up.

You didn't get /realtime from me old son !!  as for the Office Quad  "Bugger" !!!  Not sure what would be going on there, perhaps it's not happy living beside the tweaks I did to smooth it out.

Maybe a superflous question for the "incrowd" but for the lesser adept viewers could someone shed some light on the batch file to turn fsx to realtime ?

I admit fully that I'm a bit in the dark here and I bet some other thousend readers with me ........... ::)

can someone just show a copy of that batchfile cmd line ?

or add the file as attachement for us lesser ones ?

many thankx in advance :)

mmm wolter im not sure if you have obtained your new system yet but

when i set my system to process FSX in realtime i got non stop CTD's

and wierd issues with other third party addons, eg Teamspeak

although, my system has about the same processing power as a politician, go easy

Hi Uhu,

I've put both the +fullproc and /realtime together into a small batch file which you can get here: http://members.optusnet.com.au/butch/fsx.bat right click on this link and select 'save link as'.

Save this in your FSX root folder (where fsx.exe is located) then you can one of two things.

1.) Right click on fsx.bat and create a shortcut which you will then save to your desktop. Use this to start FSX from now on.

or

2.) Right click on your current shortcut and simply change the extension from fsx.exe to fsx.bat then 'apply'.

To check if its worked, start up fsx in a window using the short cut and start 'task manager' (ctrl+alt+del) then click on the performance tab. From there you will see your various cores hard at work.  ;D

To check if /realtime has worked, click on 'processes' and find fsx.exe, right click on it and select 'set priority' it should already be on the highest setting which is 'realitme'.  ;D

As I stated before, this works on multi core (more than one) cpu's. It will still work on a single core but you need to be patient because this command tells your PC to give FS top priority. All other commands / instructions will be queued up behind fsx.

As always, no warranties implied or offered use at your own risk!

Cheers,

Butch

Butch I'm not sure why you want to use a batch filt to change the /Realtime  and or the +fullproc  commands.

I have not heard about the /realtime myself but as far as I can see it is a config setting that forces a real time Processor setting copying the right clicking in the Task Manager and setting realtime (normally Temporary).

This may cause instability in x64Bit systems.

Wolter  run your task manager and look at the processor  Core loading  before and after , you should see a marked leveling of the process shareing.

Great Tip ! Works great on my E6850. Does this mean that the jobscheduler / affinity tweak can be removed now ?

@ Petejohno - Quick answer... NO

All these tweaks add say 2% to 3% to the smoothness of the sim, note I said smoothness? Collectively they all pull towards a 'glass' smooth flying experience. You can have very high FPS but jerky frames and the illusion of flight is gone. You can have low fps but a smooth sim and your a happy camper.

@ Maurice - A batch file is a simple way of queing up a set of commands (switches) and executing them automatically each time you start an app. You can do this manually each time by openning a dos box and type the commands manually each time. I prefer to have a bat file do it for me automatically.  ;D ;D

In the days when people used DOS I 'discovered' this method many years ago when I had to rename, convert, process and rename a number of files. I thought there had to be a better way... it occured to me that the autoexec.bat (does anyone on this board remember what a autoexect.bat file is?) did exactly the same thing and a short cut was born.

The settings only remain 'active' for as long as the app is running.

I've used this for ages and I have never had any issues with it, and thats the only reason I've shared it here. Its harmless... of course not all PC's are setup the same and so its almost a certainty that some will find problems with this. If anyone does the solution is simple, dont use the short cut!  ;D

I hope you get it to work for you, cheers Butch...

by the way stop posting here and get started with AUGREEN... that's due in June right?  ;D ;D

@ Maurice - A batch file is a simple way of queing up a set of commands (switches) and executing them automatically each time you start an app. You can do this manually each time by openning a dos box and type the commands manually each time. I prefer to have a bat file do it for me automatically.  Grin Grin

But I'm don't understand why you would turn the command on with a batch file  when you can add this command to the end of the Shortcut in the first place.

Sadly, neither tweak, alone or in combination, had any positive effect on my system (specs below). Rather, I experienced major stuttering and instability.

Oh well! I was getting pretty good performance anyway, using a combination of Nick's tweaks and Orbx's recommended settings.

Cheers,

Noel.

Hi Guys newb to the FTX forums but IT consultant for 20 years Windows mostly and I was one of the first MCSE's in AUS.

Oh - and Flightsim fan for almost that long too.

Here is I hope a decent explanation.

OK Batch files (and yes I remember autoexec.bat - did you know XP still recognises one?).

Batch files are lists of command line instructions, one per line

That run sequentially, some branching is available but you can only go down the list vertically, not up.

Command line instructions are such things as copy, ren, dir etc

Anything you can type at the C:\> prompt - or in the Start.. Run .. cmd "black window with white writing" can go in a batch file.

BTW They are text files with .BAT as the extension (not txt) (actually .CMD is more powerful=more commands available in Windows NT thru Vista)

You can also run .exe program files from the command line therefore fsx.exe, winword.exe will also work.

Shortcuts, on the other hand are simply pointers to files themselves rather than lists of commands.

In this instance if we are talking about adding switches to a program shortcut, as long as the switches can be ganged together the shortcut is probably the way to go.

Remember also if you add the switches to the desktop FSX shortcut and then run the Shortcut from All Programs you may be referring to a different shortcut and the switches won't apply.

Anyone need anything further just post.

@cjlowe5 - nice explanation

Do you remember what the config.sys was?

I remember it was bragging rights to my fellow nerds as to who could have the greatest free lower memory, ie everthing loaded into extended memory and an even bigger one to have a multi-boot config.sys file so depending on what apps you where going to run you could chose your memory configuration.

My first PC was a 386-40 w/128mb of ram and massive 30mb hd... smoking! It had a 5" floppy drive that held 1.2mb and took 8 minutes to read.

The killer apps I ran on this mountain of a PC was Nova-logic's Falcon (F16) and later on Spectrum Holobyte's F114 stealth fighter.

Oh, and graphics was cutting edge at 256 colours and a 14" monitor.

Jeez, those where the days...

On further investigation, it seems my C2D E6700 CPU is using both cores already. Core 0 is always maxed out. Core 1 shows variable use, totally maxing out when flying over complex scenery such as cities, as might be expected. This seems to be the rate-limiting process, as I never run out of RAM and the GPU is cruising (compared to say, Crysis, where the GPU load is much greater). Only cure for this is a faster processor.

Seems strange that my system already appears to be using its full potential while others need to tweak settings to achieve the same thing.

Is it caused by differences in hardware (MOBO, BIOS, etc), or maybe because I have applied the core 2 duo patch from MS: WindowsXP-KB936357-x86-ENU.exe? Anyone else using this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936357

Cheers,

Noel.

Ahh Butch

LUXURY!

config.sys indeed

HIMEM.SYS

EMM386.EXE NOEMS

PC  - too expensive had an atari 2600 first!

Then my mate got an ATARI ST and we started playing HARRIER

from then I was hooked.

F117 graduated to that when another friend worked at an unnamed confectionary giant on night shift.

We'd sneek in and load it on his boss' PC then uninstall it after.

I think I got my first PC a 286 when I scrounged parts from work

Including a massive 256MB EMM card

Played the Original Wing COmmander on that.

• 1 month later...

Wow what a difference setting the AffinityMask to 14 (3 cores) instead of 15 (4 cores) on a Quad core makes. Freeing Core 0 up helps with framerates significantly. Thanks for the info guys!

;D

Ok guys; dumb question, I've been looking at the Quad Core Q6600, my mobo manual says the Kentsfield is supported. The Intel web site leaves me unclear as to operating systems. It mentions 64 bit a lot. Will this cpu function with 32 bit XP?

Thanks

Sue

;D

Ok guys; dumb question, I've been looking at the Quad Core Q6600, my mobo manual says the Kentsfield is supported. The Intel web site leaves me unclear as to operating systems. It mentions 64 bit a lot. Will this cpu function with 32 bit XP?

Thanks

Sue

Yes it will support 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.

;D

My first computer, in 1988, was a Timex Sinclair 2600, with cassete tape storage, running BASIC.

Then after a couple years, I finally got a 386.  Good old wire frame flight sim, on the TS !

LOL

Sue

;)  Well guys, I bit the bullet. Being MOW&F I ok'd the purchase of a Q600 and a monster heatsink/fan.

Let you know the results when it arrives, and I install it.

Thanks John for the help.

LOL

Sue

Archived