NEW PC

harpsi

Hi all, 

I don't fly since 2016 or before. I have an i7-2600k processor which is a very old one with more or less 8 years. I stopped in FSX with all addons like Aerosoft, Orbx, FlyTampa, PMDG, AI Traffic, Weather programs and so on. Never used P3D...

I want to be back to flightsim, maybe with both P3Dv5 and MSFS, which means I need a new system. No money problems, but if I can stay between 2000 and 3000 euros as a final price, that would be ideal... For this price, I am just counting CPU, Videocard, Motheboard, Memory, Storage devices (at least one for OS and another one Flightsim and other things), Cooling, Case, Power Supply and minor needed things. Sound card of monitor are out of this budget because I also work with sound/video which means I need to invest something in this area.

Advices needed, especially about the difficult decisions like AMD Ryzen 5900X or Intel i9-10900K, Radeon 6800X or RTX 3080, and so on...

Maybe I would like to go to 4k resolution. Tell me your advices on this as well.   

And another issue is that I would prefer if the CPU is used like it comes which means no overclocking. Although I would like to see advices for both yes or no overclocking. I had a vey good experience with OC my last system myself but after some months blue screens were coming, more and more with the time, to the point that I could not open my very heavy FSX with "thousand" addons.

Thanks,

NO  

If you are looking to go to 4K, I would recommend nvidia RTX 3080 for graphics since Nvdia are currently outperforming AMD at 4K in MSFS 2020 in all the reviews/ benchmarks I have seen. 
If you are not looking to overclock then AMD is probably the best current choice for CPU. Are you only using this PC for flight simming or will there be other tasks? That would drive my recommendation for cpu and also RAM. 
Speaking of RAM, I would target 32gb of 3600mhz cl16 to pair with AMD. 

For motherboard I would target an x570 variant as that will give you full PCIE 4.0 support and at least two m.2 slots to support 2 separate drives for OS and sims at NVME speeds. Which model depends really on the cpu used, they will all work well but some run cooler with higher powered cpus for example. 
The same consideration for the likes of a power supply etc. 

Here is a guide of parts as a starting point which can be refined. Things to think about are uses other that flight sims, display resolution, do you value noise levels or cooler temperatures, do you like to show off the system or will it just be a box hidden under your desk etc? I’ve picked a combination of drives for speed but you can get slower speeds for less money. There isn’t a huge difference in price between SATA and the faster NVME drives though so I think it is money well spent for long loading flight sims. 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PPsdxc

2 hours ago, Donka said:

If you are looking to go to 4K, I would recommend nvidia RTX 3080 for graphics since Nvdia are currently outperforming AMD at 4K in MSFS 2020 in all the reviews/ benchmarks I have seen. 
If you are not looking to overclock then AMD is probably the best current choice for CPU. Are you only using this PC for flight simming or will there be other tasks? That would drive my recommendation for cpu and also RAM. 
Speaking of RAM, I would target 32gb of 3600mhz cl16 to pair with AMD. 

For motherboard I would target an x570 variant as that will give you full PCIE 4.0 support and at least two m.2 slots to support 2 separate drives for OS and sims at NVME speeds. Which model depends really on the cpu used, they will all work well but some run cooler with higher powered cpus for example. 
The same consideration for the likes of a power supply etc. 

I am using it for other tasks but for example, fine and long video/sound editing is also a very demanding task for computers.

I never tried AMD. I had Intel until today. That's why AMD is a big ? for me... Anyway, AMD with RXT 3080? Is it possible or should one buy only Radeon for AMDs?

You can readily match Intel/AMD cpu with any Nvidia/AMD gpu, no concern there. It doesn’t sound like you have any immediate requirement for > 10gb vram so the 3080 is probably your best bet. 

The 5900x or 5950x depending on budget would probably make more sense given your editing requirements and potentially increase to 64gb ram but 32gb is more than adequate for flight simming just now. 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QhJJt8

59 minutes ago, Donka said:

You can readily match Intel/AMD cpu with any Nvidia/AMD gpu, no concern there. It doesn’t sound like you have any immediate requirement for > 10gb vram so the 3080 is probably your best bet. 

The 5900x or 5950x depending on budget would probably make more sense given your editing requirements and potentially increase to 64gb ram but 32gb is more than adequate for flight simming just now. 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QhJJt8

Do you think 850 W is enough for the power supply? 

I also see that people are getting away from Samsung HD/SSD, maybe because we just pay the name "Samsung". Is it true?  

850w is fine for the build I listed as it has enough headroom. No harm in going higher, I was just trying to balance the price and the list is a guide only. As for drives, I had Samsung previously but currently running that WD drive for my OS and a Sabrent 2TB for sims and they both have been flawless. Samsung are good but I typically go for the current solid offering at a good price. 

Here is another possible list:

Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor / AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor

Corsair H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler    

Asus ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard / Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory        

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive        

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive    

Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card    

Thermaltake Versa J22 ATX Mid Tower Case    

Corsair TXM Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply    

Asus TUF Gaming VG289Q 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor

Good options?

Just an observation from YouTube where a guy was using a 3090 and flying at 4K Ultra in MSFS.

At times he was hitting 12 Gb VRAM usage on his 3090.

That said, it could be useful to have more than 10 Gb VRAM. My 8 Gb 1080 doesn't cut it in many areas at 4K with detail turned up.

There are now some credible rumors that nVidia is bringing out a 3080 Ti in early 2021, and this could have 20 or 24 Gb VRAM. With the current supply shortages and waiting times, this may be an alternate Gx choice.

23 hours ago, ozboater said:

Just an observation from YouTube where a guy was using a 3090 and flying at 4K Ultra in MSFS.

At times he was hitting 12 Gb VRAM usage on his 3090.

That said, it could be useful to have more than 10 Gb VRAM. My 8 Gb 1080 doesn't cut it in many areas at 4K with detail turned up.

There are now some credible rumors that nVidia is bringing out a 3080 Ti in early 2021, and this could have 20 or 24 Gb VRAM. With the current supply shortages and waiting times, this may be an alternate Gx choice.

The problem is 3080 and 2080Ti are "sold off" in many countries... I don't know if I wait. 3090 is really too expensive...

7 minutes ago, PiotrMKG said:

Maybe it's just me, but paying 2x as much for ca. 20% more performance is insane. I would consider spending double the price if increase in performance would be 66+%.

But RTX 3090 has 66 % of performance increase or just the 20 %?

2 minutes ago, harpsi said:

Well, wait about Radeon 6800 XT? Never tried one of those... Could be a solution because 2080Ti and 3080 are sold out.

Sold out too, right now there is almost no new cards in stock. Here in Poland there is 2-3 months waiting list for RTX and NAVI2 cards.

If you are in no hurry, why not wait for the upcoming 3080Ti with 20GB VRAM? Although availability wont be better in mid January, I fear...

Personally, if I would build a complete new rig, I would nowadays go for a full AMD build using a 5900X processor, 32-64GB of fast RAM, 6800XT (the 6900XT is a waste of money imho). Sadly, it is really the worst possible timepoint to build a new rig, as most components are hardly available...

27 minutes ago, AnkH said:

If you are in no hurry, why not wait for the upcoming 3080Ti with 20GB VRAM? Although availability wont be better in mid January, I fear...

Personally, if I would build a complete new rig, I would nowadays go for a full AMD build using a 5900X processor, 32-64GB of fast RAM, 6800XT (the 6900XT is a waste of money imho). Sadly, it is really the worst possible timepoint to build a new rig, as most components are hardly available...

20GB 3080 and 16GB 3070 versions were canceled due to navi2 not performing well in raytracing and lack of memory chips. 

21 minutes ago, PiotrMKG said:

20GB 3080 and 16GB 3070 versions were canceled due to navi2 not performing well in raytracing and lack of memory chips. 

Old news, but I am not talking about the 3080 with 20GB. I was referring to the 3080Ti with 20GB: https://www.techradar.com/news/leak-reveals-next-nvidia-gpus-that-could-arrive-including-rtx-3080-ti-and-rtx-3050

I am pretty darn sure this card will arrive mid January to compete with the 16GB AMD cards.

18 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Old news, but I am not talking about the 3080 with 20GB. I was referring to the 3080Ti with 20GB: https://www.techradar.com/news/leak-reveals-next-nvidia-gpus-that-could-arrive-including-rtx-3080-ti-and-rtx-3050

I am pretty darn sure this card will arrive mid January to compete with the 16GB AMD cards.

So it will compete with 6900XT. For it not to kil completly 3090 sales it will be slower than it, yet faster than 6900XT my bet is it will be faster by 3% against 6900XT and 8% against 3080 and that’s for 50% more money. 

I guess so, it will be placed somewhere between the 3080 and the 3090. As nVIDIA itself said that the 3090 is not really meant for "normal" gamers, more like what they aimed for with their TITAN products earlier, I could also imagine that a 3080Ti will be very close to the 3090. 

It will be considerably more expensive than a 3080, sure, and everybody will have to decide whether or not the higher price tag is worth for more VRAM. For me, it will be in any case, as I am not going to replace my 1080Ti with a gfx card having less VRAM, this would simply make no sense (to me). So yes, I will be ready to pay more than for a 3080 just due to the doubled VRAM, even if the performance is just marginally above a regular 3080...

On 12/14/2020 at 7:25 AM, AnkH said:

6800XT and 6900XT are also sold off...

Videocards are solf off. Available? Only 2060, some 2070 and the very expensive 3090. All the ones in between cannot be found almost anywhere...

They are starting to pop up in some places at inflated prices but you need to be quick as they are selling out in minutes. Thx XFX 6800XT came into stock at CCLOnline for example on Monday but was £880 which is about £150 over retail and still sold out within 15 mins. I’ll wait till January at the earliest. 

6 minutes ago, Donka said:

They are starting to pop up in some places at inflated prices but you need to be quick as they are selling out in minutes. Thx XFX 6800XT came into stock at CCLOnline for example on Monday but was £880 which is about £150 over retail and still sold out within 15 mins. I’ll wait till January at the earliest. 

I am in Portugal and I prefer to buy it in a physical shop or by internet if I know the website quite well. With expensive things it could be a problem if I pay and the videocard doesn't show up.

50 minutes ago, harpsi said:

I am in Portugal and I prefer to buy it in a physical shop or by internet if I know the website quite well. With expensive things it could be a problem if I pay and the videocard doesn't show up.

Yes, I was just pointing out a UK shop that got recent stock. If you can register for stock notifications for your local online stores, that would be your best bet. As I say, just need to be quick if/when they get stock in. 

Hello,

the entire world has gone completely mad over the release, or rather the failure to release, of any of these new graphics cards in useful quantities.

Here is a link to an e bay auction of a picture of one  which has already reached almost double the asking price of the actual thing.

Note: DO NOT BID, LOOK AT IT ONLY.

33 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

the entire world has gone completely mad over the release, or rather the failure to release, any of these new graphics cards in useful quantities.

Here is a link to an e bay auction of a picture of one  which has already reached almost double the asking price of the actual thing.

Note: DO NOT BID, LOOK AT IT ONLY.

I know... :(

41 minutes ago, Donka said:

Yes, I was just pointing out a UK shop that got recent stock. If you can register for stock notifications for your local online stores, that would be your best bet. As I say, just need to be quick if/when they get stock in. 

That's what I did...

• 2 months later...

Hi again, 

I have the possibility to have a not so expensive videocard Radeon 6900 XT. I would like to know your inputs. People say that it gets hot quite easy and it is not so good for MSFS... It costs 1600 euros.

To buy or not to buy?

Archived