Dundee bought but won't download

TypeError: Cannot read property 'abbreviation' of undefined

Orbx Central is having problems recognising MSFS now. Bought Dundee in the hope that it would make Orbx Central recognise MSFS.  But it won't download - just get the above error message.

Hi there,

I wish I could help more, not my area of expertise. Hopefully someone else can jump in here.

As far as I know Orbx Central should recognise the sims you have installed, whether or not you have scenery for those sims installed.

My first question woud be, when you go into Orbx Central can you access Microsoft Flight Simulator in the drop down box highlighted?central.thumb.jpg.787eb867ce6109a760f94a849995aa72.jpg

All the best,

John

Hi John. Thanks for your reply. Upon opening Central it boots me to a screen that tells me it can't detect a sim on my pc. There is a dropdown list there of sims where you can force Central to recognise one - but MSFS isn't on that list.

I have 6 other Orbx products installed - never had a problem before now.

Hello,

the sporadic inability to see MSFS, or depending on your point of view,

the sporadic changes to MSFS that prevent it from being seen by Orbx Central

have so far been solved by either continually opening and closing MSFS until it

appears or uninstalling Orbx Central and reinstalling it or in extreme cases,

uninstalling Orbx Central, deleting

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\orbx-central-updater and

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Orbx\Central,

before installing it again.

Thanks. Tried all of the above - hasn't made any difference. 

I guess I'll now wait until the next big MSFS update at the end of the month and hope Central starts recognising MSFS again, unless there is some way to download directly without the need for Central?

I haven't had this issue myself but a friend of mine did and the only way he got it to work was to right click the shortcut for Orbx Central and select Run as administrator. Of course there is no guarantee that will work for you.

Hi Bobbie. Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I tried it but still no luck, I'm afraid. 

I did also try to open a open a ticket with Orbx directly, but (so far) they have just sent me back here, so I'm a bit stuck.

Still not sure why MSFS isn't included in the drop down menu under "fix" on the Central Missing Sim page; being able to show Central where MSFS is on affected computers would be the simple solution. It's not just me who is having this problem, so a simple fix would be welcome.

Just tried it - still no success. From what I gather from other people who have been having this issue with Central, it's looking for a file in local which I can't locate on my pc. My sim files all seem to be in roaming. I bought MSFS on Steam, so this may be something to do with that? Or not...

Anyway, thanks again - I do appreciate the help. 

@Bonsaisan Here is a copy of a reply I received when I asked the Orbx Central team how Orbx Central recognises MSFS as installed or not.

There is a unique lookup as far as the Steam version is concerned as you will see in response I got below:

The process of finding Microsoft Flight Simulator is as follows:

1. We look for files at the following paths for a UserCfg.opt file.
    • %LOCALAPPDATA%/Packages/Microsoft.KHAlpha_8wekyb3d8bbwe/LocalCache/UserCfg.opt
    • %LOCALAPPDATA%/Packages/Microsoft.FlightSimDisc_8wekyb3d8bbwe/LocalCache/UserCfg.opt
    • %LOCALAPPDATA%/Packages/Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe/LocalCache/UserCfg.opt
    • %APPDATA%/Microsoft Flight Simulator/UserCfg.opt - Specific to Steam
  2. Inside these UserCfg.opt files we look for a line which contains 'InstalledPackagesPath'. On that same line will be a path to where MSFS expects it's addons to be installed. We treat that path as the Sim Root.
  3. If we can locate one of the UserCfg.opt files and within the file, find a line containing 'InstalledPackagesPath' Orbx Central should detect the simulator.

I attach a copy of my User.cfg as a guide for where you are to look when you finally find your User.cfg.

Right at the bottom of the .cfg is an entry- "InstalledPackagesPath  "G:\JJAYC"

If you don't have an entry in there you could try manually putting it in there bu entering the path to your entry after the words of InstalledPackagesPath

I hope all this helps. 

UserCfg.opt

8 hours ago, Bonsaisan said:

Just tried it - still no success. From what I gather from other people who have been having this issue with Central, it's looking for a file in local which I can't locate on my pc. My sim files all seem to be in roaming. I bought MSFS on Steam, so this may be something to do with that? Or not...

Hello,

here is a simple illustration of the information from the Orbx Central developers, posted by Jon.

We look for files at the following paths for a UserCfg.opt file.

%APPDATA%/Microsoft Flight Simulator/UserCfg.opt - Specific to Steam

This is exactly the same path as C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserCfg.opt.

I created such a folder:

5.jpg

My installation is at G:\Microsoft Flight Simulator.

I edited the file to:  InstalledPackagesPath "H:\Microsoft Flight Simulator".

Then I created that folder manually. It is empty.

6.jpg

This is the result:

4.jpg

and my original installation remains visible:

3.jpg

In short, all that Orbx Central is looking for is that one line in the UserCfg.opt and a folder

with the same name and at the same location.

Based on that, perhaps you may be able to see what has gone wrong.

Hello Nick and Jon. Thanks for your detailed responses. As soon as I read these I realised what the problem must be; I'm familiar with the userconfig file as I had previously changed one or 2 lines. In order to stop MSFS changing these back to default each time it opened I'd made the file read only, and it must have been this that was stopping Central from seeing MSFS. Unticking read only for the userconfig file and then running MSFS again has solved the issue. This may be of assistance to others having the same problem if they have also been messing around with userconfig.

Thanks again to you both and to John and Bobbie for your help.

Archived