Ground Textures

mikee

Hi mikee,

So you want to improve the look of Orbx scenery at ground level, but the HD grass installer doesn't cater for P3D v5.

That leaves extraction of the files so you can manually manage or maybe trial the add-on.xml method, anyway here's how it can be performed.

Assuming Prepare3D v5,  and Prepar3d v4 (or v3) is not installed.

What you'll do is run the installer and choose P3D v4 (or v3), where given the installer will not locate the path (because the P3D version chosen does not exist), the installer will be forced to offer a browse dialog for a path to be browsed to and chosen.

First create a Temp folder to use as a target for the installer like that below.

• H:\TEMP\HDGrass-FilesExtracted

In that folder create a new txt file and rename it to prepare3d.exe. The installer looks for a Prepar3D.exe file to confirm the path is correct and so we create a dummy file for it to find.

• New Text Document.txt -> prepare3d.exe

You'll need Windows Folder options or the Ribbon/View options to enable the visibility of file extensions - google it if you need further info.

Run the installer, choose  the P3D v4 (or v3) option, the installer will try to assertain the path and will fail due to there not being an actual install.

At this point it will offer a browse dilalog.

• Browse to the newly created target folder e.g. :\TEMP\HDGrass-FilesExtracted
  • Choose Summer, Winter or Default from the installer.

Let the installer do it's job and you'll have the files for the texture chosen.

Rename the newly created Scenery output folder, rinse and repeat for the other two textures and you'll have extracted the files complement.

For example:

~\TEMP\HDGrass-FilesExtracted\

Scenery-Default

Scenery-Summer (grass)

Scenery-Winter (snow)

The files will extract into the fake P3D Scenery path and you'll need to place 1 of the texture files into P3D itself using the same path (rename the actual P3D texture file first so as not to overwrite) or you can trial the add-on.xml method.

e.g. the path to place the texture file would be... \Scenery\World\Texture

And there you have it, the files extracted to greatly improve the look of Orbx ground level scenery.

I think they are actually the best personally.

Cheers QA

image.png

Hello,

it does not need to be as hard as that.

Simply open the installer and select a simulator that you do not have.

Point the installer to your P3D v5 root folder.

Choose your texture and install it.

You will have seen this:

1.jpg

Obviously pointing to where you have installed P3D v5.

Have you ever installed P3Dv4 on the pc? 

01 open up your registry editor and navigate to here: 

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

If it is there then go to step 04. 

02 If you still have it, reinstall it. 

03 Clear out all the files in the folders and leave the folder structure behind in Program Files, Program data, Appdata/roaming and local. Just delete all the files EXCEPT THE EXE FILE

04 Then head here in the registry editor: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4, double click APP PATH and change the 4 to a 5. Now anything you install in for v4 will head straight into v5 by default. It works flawlessly with most addons. 

Simply install that addon with the v4 option and know its going into v5. 

6 hours ago, CaptainLens said:

Have you ever installed P3Dv4 on the pc? 

01 open up your registry editor and navigate to here: 

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

If it is there then go to step 04. 

02 If you still have it, reinstall it. 

03 Clear out all the files in the folders and leave the folder structure behind in Program Files, Program data, Appdata/roaming and local. Just delete all the files EXCEPT THE EXE FILE

04 Then head here in the registry editor: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4, double click APP PATH and change the 4 to a 5. Now anything you install in for v4 will head straight into v5 by default. It works flawlessly with most addons. 

Simply install that addon with the v4 option and know its going into v5. 

Hello CaptainLens !

Thank you for your help !

I checked and it is already change to V4 !20201030_092006.thumb.jpg.1845baf94383514f402e5f73e2446f96.jpg

Hello,

I have installed this myself.

2020-10-30_11-24-1-11.jpg

I did not visit the registry, I just followed this, as you did and the installer worked.

Simply open the installer and select a simulator that you do not have.

Point the installer to your P3D v5 root folder.

Choose your texture and install it.

1.jpg

The installed texture is 4096 and to see it at its best, you will need to select that texture resolution

and have your texture sliders far enough to the right.

This is what happens if you change the texture resolution to 256.

2020-10-30_11-38-18-553.jpg

Also note that you need to restart the simulator each time you make a change, otherwise, your change will have no effect.

Hello Nick ,

Whatever i do unfortunately it does not work !

I tried everything ! As far as i remember it used to work perfect in the past !!  No idea what happened , maybe an addon from another developer is in conflict with 

Drzewiecki Design Grass :(

Is there another addon i can use for better ground textures ?

Thanks 

Mike 

Wierd, seems to be working for everyone else (and myself).

Did you manage to extract the actual files?

The summer grass detail1.bmp should be ~10,923 KB whereas the default version is typcially 11 KB, a big difference and is why the grass looks so good.

What size is the file in your P3Dv5 install directory?

e.g. C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D V5\Scenery\World\Texture\detail1.bmp

If the file in the install path is ~10,923 KB then it should be the right one.

Maybe it's the install directory itself and the higher level rights needed for it, I've not installed P3D into the Windows Program Files directory at any time.

If you right click on the installer or the file itself, and select "Properties", does Windows say the file is blocked?

If it is the Properties dialog will show a blocked message at the bottom and a checkbox that can be ticked to "unblock" the file.

Yes there are other textures available, Orbx and REX both do have replacement textures, however they both work the same way as DD's HD grass.

Probably v5 could benefit from a v5 specific release, PBR perhaps?

Interested to hear back.

Cheers QA

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 5:53 AM, Quantum Amiga said:

Wierd, seems to be working for everyone else (and myself).

Did you manage to extract the actual files?

The summer grass detail1.bmp should be ~10,923 KB whereas the default version is typcially 11 KB, a big difference and is why the grass looks so good.

What size is the file in your P3Dv5 install directory?

e.g. C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D V5\Scenery\World\Texture\detail1.bmp

If the file in the install path is ~10,923 KB then it should be the right one.

Maybe it's the install directory itself and the higher level rights needed for it, I've not installed P3D into the Windows Program Files directory at any time.

If you right click on the installer or the file itself, and select "Properties", does Windows say the file is blocked?

If it is the Properties dialog will show a blocked message at the bottom and a checkbox that can be ticked to "unblock" the file.

Yes there are other textures available, Orbx and REX both do have replacement textures, however they both work the same way as DD's HD grass.

Probably v5 could benefit from a v5 specific release, PBR perhaps?

Interested to hear back.

Cheers QA

Hello QA , sorry for the late reply !

I downloaded the file from Drzewiecki Design site ! 

The one that i have installed is 10.6mb  ! So i guess it is correct !

I checked and the file is Not blocked !

No idea why it is not working !

I have attached my detail.bmp to check if is the same with yours !

Thank you very much for your help !Much appreciated :)

P.s If you don't mind could you please send me a copy of your .bmp just to check !

Mike

detail1.bmp

Hi mikee,

I've tested your file and it shows up just fine, which means the file itself is not the problem.

D0C952450757B52695F879CDAD3884D3EE9C37CE (1920×1080)

So either Windows, P3D configuration, or perhaps some third party file is taking precedence.

I assume the P3D install folder is excluded of realtime av and/or backup scanning?

A review of the prepar3d.cfg (as an attachment) is an option.

Do you have third party add-ons?

Disabling the add-ons, seeing if the problem is resolved, then enabled each one and test.

Kinda time consuming as there would need to be a P3D restart between each action.

I exclusively use the Lorby Add-in organiser for managing add-ons and scenery.

https://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

Alternatively you could perform a search for any other detail1.bmp files and see what turns up.

When I search there is just the one file that turns up and is located as ~\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery\World\texture\detail1.bmp

I use Agent Ransack for such types of searches, the free "Lite" vesion is enough.

https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

Cheers

Hello QA and thanks again for your reply !

I do have a lot ( More than 120 even more addons ) !! Most probably one of them is in conflict with DD Grass !

As far as i remember i used to have this issue in the past when installing an addon and by replacing the detail.bmp everything was fine !

No idea now why it is not working :huh:

I will do some more checks and get back to you !

Cheers 

Mike 

On 10/27/2020 at 6:12 PM, mikee said:

Hello ,

Hi,

I installed Today to 5.1, no any issue (via instalator for v4 only, simply way):

pOlmM6i.jpg

Perhaps I know what is your problem.

Go to P3D cfg and check this entry:

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1 in [TERRAIN] section (on = 1, off = 0).

Hello YoYo 

Thanks for your reply !

Unfortunately i checked and it is On :huh:

You can check the image below !

img%5D

I tried to copy and paste the file (I have a copy from my P3DV4) , i also tried to Install the file and eventhough the installation was succesfull , Nothing happens !

This is very very weird !!

Mike 

Well... I can produce the issue if I install detail1.bmp via the add-on.xml method, where the bmp specified in the add-on.xml structure takes precedence over that installed in the actual P3D folder.

I can now turn it on or off at will via enable/disable in the Lorby Add-in organiser (with a P3D restart in between).

I still recommend a search for any detail1.bmp files and see what turns up and if there are any outside of the P3D folder try renaming to detail1.bmp.off

And Agent Ransack is a great tool for such types of searches.

I've been using HDGrass for so many years I'd forgotten how very low res the default is, yuck.

8B57392AD18E95D538A489883924D8503AEE2386

Finally i managed to fix my issue !!

Very Happy :)

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

I followed Quantum  Amiga  suggestion to  search for any detail1.bmp files  !

I found 4 .bmp files in four Other addons from Other Developers !

I Replaced them with DD Grass and everything worked Perfect :)

Thank you all for your help , much appreciated guys !!

• Nick Cooper changed the title to Ground Textures

Archived