X Plane 11.50 and Orbx Updates

Glenith37

As Laminar Research have now announced that X Plane 11 is now out of the beta phase of Vulkan/Metal implementation and 11.50 is now on general release, does anyone know what Orbx's timeline on getting the "glitches" on their products to make them compatible with the new API? For example, traffic around EGKA and EGHI and fire response from EGLC not to mention the grid-like patterns which break immersion on the True Earth GB products?

I'm hesitant to expand my scenery library beyond Europe (have everything except KOS) until i'm confident these issues won't be impacted by the API update.

2 hours ago, Glenith37 said:

As Laminar Research have now announced that X Plane 11 is now out of the beta phase of Vulkan/Metal implementation and 11.50 is now on general release, does anyone know what Orbx's timeline on getting the "glitches" on their products to make them compatible with the new API? For example, traffic around EGKA and EGHI and fire response from EGLC not to mention the grid-like patterns which break immersion on the True Earth GB products?

I'm hesitant to expand my scenery library beyond Europe (have everything except KOS) until i'm confident these issues won't be impacted by the API update.

The traffic issues you're referring are dependent on whether or not the developer of the 3rd party groundtraffic chooses to make a new version that is compatible with 11.50.

Greg

3 hours ago, Greg Jones said:

The traffic issues you're referring are dependent on whether or not the developer of the 3rd party groundtraffic chooses to make a new version that is compatible with 11.50.

Greg

So to get the cars racing around EGHR, or at Donnington at EGNM, or trains at EGKA, Fire response at EGLC relies on a non Orbx developer updating something Orbx touted as features to the above mentioned paid scenery? 

Please note that not all pre Vulkan atributes are now able to be adopted into the Vulkan XP. Animations programmes for example like the race cars and the cable cars at EGLC were made by a non Orbx developer and utilised by other developers as well as Orbx.

@Glenith37 the answer to your query at the moment is yes. Those addons were made for the pre Vulkan versions and are still functional in the versions they were designed for.

1 hour ago, Jon Clarke said:

Please note that not all pre Vulkan atributes are now able to be adopted into the Vulkan XP. Animations programmes for example like the race cars and the cable cars at EGLC were made by a non Orbx developer and utilised by other developers as well as Orbx.

@Glenith37 the answer to your query at the moment is yes. Those addons were made for the pre Vulkan versions and are still functional in the versions they were designed for.

Thanks for the response, and the white grid like patterns in True Earth GB? Are they solely an Orbx issue that is being addressed? As it's really noticeable and kinda puts me off purchasing the North American bundle (and an SSD to fit it all on) if this is the case in all True Earth scenery in 11.50.

Screenshot_20200911-070047.png

Unfortunately the Vulkan version seems to greatly exaggerate the decals. Decals were added as a request from customers and are in the TEGB South and Central addons. I don't believe they are in the TEGB North. No it is not solely an Orbx issue as it is also noticeable in peoples ortho4xp installations if they chose the option to include decals.

We can ask @Tony Wroblewski if there is any plane to issue a non decal version. I do know there is a decal removal piece of software but I am not authorised to advise further.

Can we at least get the APT files corrected to show AI traffic? As I've previously posted for some reason some of the airports have stopped showing traffic, namely London City and Sumburgh. I managed to find replacements for EGNX and LBA from other posts reporting the same problem. 

On 9/11/2020 at 6:48 AM, Jon Clarke said:

User nst0022 has updated the GroundTraffic plugin to be Vulkan compatible. Source available on GitHub here:

https://github.com/nst0022/GroundTraffic

I've used a pre-compiled (Win64 only, no Mac and Linux) GroundTraffic plugin version 2.2 by user Aviator47 from this comment:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/210452-groundtraffic-plugin-for-x1150-vulkan/&page=4&tab=comments#comment-1917647

I then replaced all plugins in the Orbx directories with the updated one and I now have working cable cars at EGLC, trains at EGKA etc. with Vulkan in X-Plane 11.50

If I as a user manage to get this working, then Orbx as a developer has no excuse not to update all their products that use GroundTraffic to the new Vulkan compatible version.

• 2 weeks later...

The Orbx scenery appears to me to need some refinement for the new Vulkan API. I just wont be going back to pre Vulkan as in VR especially X Plane is flawless in terms of FPS now for me at least. 

I guess you are throwing all your resources at MSFS but f0or many of us X Plane is still the sim of choice and with Orbx for many of us it is still a better simulator in many areas, not everything but some things which are simply not available in MSFS. 

Thanks looking forward to your update. 

@Tony Wroblewski@Ed Correia

5 hours ago, Mawson said:

The Orbx scenery appears to me to need some refinement for the new Vulkan API. I just wont be going back to pre Vulkan as in VR especially X Plane is flawless in terms of FPS now for me at least. 

Scenery doesn't need to be changed to work with Vulkan, it works exactly the same and I've been testing this since the first alphas of Vulkan was made available to developers. What is currently not working are things like GroundTraffic that needs an update to the plugin and will be rolled out. 

19 minutes ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

Scenery doesn't need to be changed to work with Vulkan, it works exactly the same and I've been testing this since the first alphas of Vulkan was made available to developers. What is currently not working are things like GroundTraffic that needs an update to the plugin and will be rolled out. 

Maybe that is what it was but the scenery lacks the pizzazz from 11.30.

2 hours ago, Mawson said:

Maybe that is what it was but the scenery lacks the pizzazz from 11.30.

What sort of differences are you experiencing (apart from the groundtraffic plugin which we have a solution for)?

G

14 hours ago, Greg Jones said:

What sort of differences are you experiencing (apart from the groundtraffic plugin which we have a solution for)?

G

Thanks for asking but I feel there is detail missing and it looks dull but maybe that is because of the lack of ground traffic.  I'll wait until the plugin is fixed . Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/16/2020 at 11:49 PM, Ed Correia said:

We will making these groundtraffic plugin updates over the course of the next few days. We need to compile for Mac and Linux as well as check for backwards compatibility. 

I know everybody has a different idea of "over the course of the next few days", especially in 2020, but it's been over three months now. Is this ever going to be fixed?

Archived