Where is the sim installed

Normally - especially with P3D installations - I have no problems with installing an addon 

Not that I intend to install anything at the moment - still trying to get my controls working in Flight

but I do like to look at where the  Sim files are have a look at the bits and pieces.

What set me looking at this early stage was  a query on AVSIM where someone wanted to know how

to Install the LOWI airport and were told to install it inside the "Community Folder".

Even though I knew that if I do buy it - I would go via Central and get my discount - I set out to find the flight sim installation

I   have a games pass and learned that I was entitled to a free install - and having earlier set up a blank 2TB drive and  set it up in W10 settings

as my drive to place new downloads to  - 'D'  Flight simulator - which MS installed the prelim bits 2 weeks ago  - a few Mbs

I downloaded the sim with no problems - but when I came to find the "Community Folder" - I couldn't even find where the sim was installed

- at least not in any format I am used to .

I did notice that  "D" now contained 102GB - and I  a file WPS that contained a file of the same amount and found that it had a number of files

but little that I expected to find - Viz P3D 4  and a search did not Find "Community:"

presumably - Central knows where to find it ???

I also followed a trail that led to the usual C:users/ap data filing that had 1GB

Hello John,

if the thing is installed, in your D:\Flight Simulator folder you should see two folders,

Community

Official

The Community folder will be empty and the Official folder, at least for the top version

will be 100 GB.

Much like this:

17.jpg

If you just directed the installer to D:\, I hope that you did not, then those two folders will

be on your D drive, sandwiched between whatever else is there.

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello John,

if the thing is installed, in your D:\Flight Simulator folder you should see two folders,

Community

Official

The Community folder will be empty and the Official folder, at least for the top version

will be 100 GB.

Much like this:

17.jpg

If you just directed the installer to D:\, I hope that you did not, then those two folders will

be on your D drive, sandwiched between whatever else is there.

Thanks Nick -- no luck in finding it!!

It's not so much as worrying about the Community File But - how/where has MS put the Sim in the computer

Maybe these 4 pics will give you some inkling - and as I said this was a system created on the 17th July - and the install was a games pass 

freebie install on the 18th - so maybe a different system in that not paid for - no digital ownership if I drop out of games Pass

It will be interesting to see where they will place the Major upgrade to premier when I buy it

The Pic 2 file measures 102GB and you will follow the folder stream -and Orbx log is there since the time I designated D as the preferred install drive

for future installs due to c filling up

No I left the install to the one suggested which from memory was from C: users etc - and that file measures 1 GB

Thanks again --- john

screen D Flight sim 1.jpg

screen D Flight sim 2.jpg

screen D Flight sim 3.jpg

screen D Flight sim 4.jpg

13 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello John,

I didn't follow you down the same path, I purchased after the release,

so I regret that I can't advise you what to do now.

Hi Nick 

once again my thanks for trying to help

Maybe someone who did follow the Games Pass Track might get involved 

because sooner or later - we who have - might need to know.

Archived