Newcastle Airport - some attractions

makapala

With the release of EGNT Newcastle International, (why aye mun) and as a local resident, I thought you'd appreciate some of our local attractions to be seen in Orbx TE- the first being our very own "Angel of the North" sculpture that welcomes people to the North East. See if you can find it. It's visible from the A1 and the train on approach from the South and is made of rusty steel. It's by Anthony Gormley. It is 20 metres (66 ft) tall, with wings measuring 54 metres (177 ft) across.

ncl3.jpg

Durham - with the famous cathedral perched high over the River Wear

VFR fliers will notice the restricted airspace to the north - that's Frankland Prison where some VERY bad people live. In the 80s it had helicopter nets to prevent escape. Less of a problem these days  but the restricted airspace is still there.

durham1.jpg

St James Park, home of Newcastle United and Newcastle city centre. 

The stadium visible near the airport is the home to Newcastle Falcons rugby side. I work in Newcastle Central Railway Station visible centre.. you can see the bridges.. from left to right: Millenium Bridge (the blinking bridge), Tyne Bridge (inspiration for Sydney Harbour), Swing Bridge, High Level Bridge (double decks), Metro Bridge, King Eddy Bridge (railway), Redheugh Bridge (main highway).

The distinct vfr road line leading to the bottom of the pic is the ancient line of Roman  Hadrian's Wall (Westgate Road)

South of the Tyne is City of Gateshead and you can see Gateshead Sage Concert Halls and its shiny snail like appearance near the bridges.

ncl1.jpg

Thank you for the post. I have xplane11 so I am waiting patiently 

the news of Newcastle airport realise came this mornings an Orbx news letter

i watched the video then thought why is the air traffic control tower in the wrong place not like Orbx to get it wrong . A quick google 

then wrong again Phillip well done Orbx . And thanks again for your post and information 

ps it’s been awhile since I have flown from Newcastle 

Please find a little introduction to our region and its accents.. and some of the real world sights (including the currently missing from TE England Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge)

Archived