Misplaced autogen

Hello @carlosqr

Thanks for pointing me to the possible second Object flow installation, which can cause issues. I'll try to remember that! (but I'm asking myself: why is Orbx Central not preventing that?)

But I'm sure a second Object flow installation wasn't the cause of my troubles, since I also tested with in clean fresh Windows + P3Dv5HF2 + Orbx central installation, and the problem was still there.

My license just got reactivated (see post #29), so I'm starting reinstalling right now. That is: P3Dv5HF1 (ready) and Orbx Central (sceneries  downloading now...). I'll tell you the results in a short moment...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, to summerize, I've got a fresh (can't be any fresher!) installation of Windows 10 + P3Dv5HF1 + Orbx Central.

I first tested with only Base Pack + Libraries + Object flow + SODE. Misplace autogen back again (I can't believe it!).
So I did Verify files, and Synchronize again: no difference.

It's impossible to suspect HF2 any longer, since this now happens in HF1 on a clean fresh Windows installation.

Downloading openLC Europe now, so as to test openLC Europe without Base, like @Ams asked me...

Ok, tested with Base + openLC Europe, and also with openLC Europe only (Base uninstalled).
In both cases it was the same mess with misplaced autogen.

Since HF2 can't be suspected anymore (see previous post), should we suspect Orbx Central after all????

I leave it for now...

Hi Mfannee,

When i disable Base and only keep openLC Europe enabled, misplaced autogen issue gets resolved for me. But that presents me with another issue - I get black and night texture tiles in places near by LOWW. But if i enable Base and openLC Europe, I do not get black and night texture tiles, but instead get misplaced autogen.

I am a bit surprised that with openLC Europe only, you still are getting misplaced autogen issue, where as I am not getting. Can you send me a screen shot of your scenery installed in P3D V5?

Regards

13 hours ago, mfannee said:

Hello @carlosqr

Thanks for pointing me to the possible second Object flow installation, which can cause issues. I'll try to remember that! (but I'm asking myself: why is Orbx Central not preventing that?)

But I'm sure a second Object flow installation wasn't the cause of my troubles, since I also tested with in clean fresh Windows + P3Dv5HF2 + Orbx central installation, and the problem was still there.

My license just got reactivated (see post #29), so I'm starting reinstalling right now. That is: P3Dv5HF1 (ready) and Orbx Central (sceneries  downloading now...). I'll tell you the results in a short moment...

Hi

The old Central installs Object flow in the documents folder and the new one in the new Orbx library

Different methods

As you mentioned you installed at some stage the old one I though you could have left active the one in the documents folder

Cheers

Carlos

Hello @Ams,

Yesterday I installed p3d v4.5 HF3 alongside p3d v5 HF1, on the same computer. 
* We already know (see above) that in version 5 the scenery is a mess because of the misplaced autogen, and a days of debugging brought no solution.
* In version 4.5 quite the contrary: installing the Orbx scenery went well in one go.

I suppose I'll carry on flying with v4.5 now. Hopefully some future update of p3dv5 / Orbx will solve the problem. At least, with a working v4.5 I can wait.

Hello @mfannee,

Yes agree with you. I have s strong suspicion that Orbx Global for p3dv5 is messed up for certain areas. Unless that is fixed, I doubt as end users we would be able to do anything. I have time and again checked not on LFMN but also area surrounding Vienna (LOWW) with Orbx global enabled. Even there autogen is completely misplaced. As soon as I disable global, autogen seems to be fine, but at the expense of black/night textures in the terrain in some areas. Very frustrating.

Hi Nick,

Would it be possible for some one to verify if Orbx Global with OLC Europe works fine in p3dv5 hf2 in areas surrounding LFMN and LOWW? From my tests I do think Global would need to be patched in order for it to work with p3dv5 correctly. 

In case its working correctly for others then I am out of ideas to use it in p3dv5.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Ams said:

Hello @mfannee,

Yes agree with you. I have s strong suspicion that Orbx Global for p3dv5 is messed up for certain areas. Unless that is fixed, I doubt as end users we would be able to do anything. I have time and again checked not on LFMN but also area surrounding Vienna (LOWW) with Orbx global enabled. Even there autogen is completely misplaced. As soon as I disable global, autogen seems to be fine, but at the expense of black/night textures in the terrain in some areas. Very frustrating.

Yes, that's right.

With base, the autogen is misplaced. The black spots with night lighting I don't have near LOWW, but in the near of LOIK and only by using Open_LC. Me and other users have those black/Night Textures near airport of Florence/Italy and other places in some Italy areas with Open_LC activated.

I think neither Base nor Open_LC is really compatible at the moment. This needs to be improved.

Peter 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @mfannee,

I am afraid not. There are no updates from my side. The only thing which works for me is disabling the Global and only enabling the EU OLC.

But doing that causes night texture issues in some places. Hence that does not seem to be a solution.

Hello Nick,

Really? What about checking the content of log files, or of some configuration files?

I're really willing to check any file so we can track down the problem. But not trying is of course not an option. 

Hello Nick, @pezi en @Ams,

Well well....

I tried something slightly different:

* I installed P3D v5  OUTSIDE  the default location (C:\Prepar3D v5   instead of   C:\Program Files\etc...).

* In Orbx Central of course I made sure I opted in for Fastlane.

* I assigned both P3D v5 and Orbx central Administrator Rights (Rightclick -> Properties -> Compatibility tab -> Settings -> Administator rights).

* And finally, even if that is explicitly discouraged by Orbx Central itself, I migrated Global Base to the Library (on my pc C:\Users\....\Orbx Library\p3dv5).

Guess what? Problem solved.... 

I will now try to install the rest, hoping for the best. Fingers crossed.

pffff....

as soon as I re-installed OpenLC Europe the mess was back again. Installed normally or migrated to the Library makes no difference.

Bit tired of those silly games. I give up again. For now.

Hello,

did you make a backup of openLC and reinstall from that, or did you install a brand new copy?

If you made a backup, you could try removing it and open LC Europe and start again.

My suspicion would be that Holger is right, he usually is and/or your autogen descriptions

don't match the product, try as I might, I cannot replicate the problem.

Hello Nick

I have both P3D v4.5 HF3 and P3D v5 HF2  on the same pc.  
The strange thing is that the problems only occur in v5. 

In v4.5 all my Orbx scenery is installed without any difficulty, with the very same instance of Orbx Central.

The misplaced autogen is not placed at random: it has some structure in it, like rows of houses etc. To me, it looks like the autogen 'layer' is put on the wrong textures (as the picture hereabove show). You seem to think the same, as you wrote that it must be the autogen definitions.

What next? If you have suggestions about files (eg. configuration files) that I should check, or post, or whatever, just tell me!

If your products are installed into an Orbx Central Library, the autogen description used should be at

Orbx P3D Scenery Library\p3dv5\Orbx Libraries\Orbx\Scripts\custom.gb_base\AutogenDescriptions.spb

Orbx P3D Scenery Library\p3dv5\Orbx Libraries\Orbx\Scripts\custom.gb_base\AutogenDescriptions_Legacy.spb

and they should be 1.34MB.

If installed into the simulator, the autogen description used should be at

P3D v5\Autogen\AutogenDescriptions.spb

P3D v5\Autogen\AutogenDescriptions_Legacy.spb

I attach mine for you to try

AutogenDescriptions.spb AutogenDescriptions_Legacy.spb

Hello Nick and Carlos,

Thank you very much, Nick, for sending your files.
I replaced mine with yours, sadly with no difference in the result.

Carlos, I mostly tested without any add-on, so I'm sure that doesn't play any role. 

5 hours ago, mfannee said:

Hello Nick and Carlos,

Thank you very much, Nick, for sending your files.
I replaced mine with yours, sadly with no difference in the result.

Carlos, I mostly tested without any add-on, so I'm sure that doesn't play any role. 

Okay noted

Let's wait for Nick's comments

Cheers

Carlos

Hello,

I am out of ideas.

I see no one who has not solved this, or a similar problem using one of the suggested methods.

I have no more suggestions to offer that have not been offered before.

You could try creating a second copy of P3D and see if that works before you do anything to it.

You can do this by renaming your P3D folder, just add X to the end of its name.

Then create a new folder with the same name, without the X and run repair for each of the three modules.

You should then have a clean copy of P3D, run it and see if the problem is still there.

If it is, run the Delete Generated Files batch file in the P3D v5 folder and try again.

7 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

You could try creating a second copy of P3D and see if that works before you do anything to it.

Oh yes!

Why not running the repair option of P3D?

Might work

Good luck

Cheers

Carlos

I would advise against running a repair to the existing installation.

Better to start with an entirely clean version and see if that works first,

given that all the usually effective solutions for this type of problem

have apparently failed to work.

Hello Nick,

Thank you for your efforts.

I did exactly what you wrote. I hardly dare to write it, but... it didn't work. 

I too run out of ideas. I suppose we have to consider this a 'rare bug' (only three of us mentionned it in this thread). Since Orbx works absolutely fine for my P3D v4.5, I guess it might be a bug in P3D v5.  I leave it for now.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately I too have this problem, I came to this page hoping to find a solution and am really disappointed to find one doesn't exist and its basically been given up on. It only seems to happen in Europe, other regions seem to be unaffected.
I have exactly what has been described before, buildings placed haphazardly over the ground tiles, not matching at all what is underneath. Also looks to me that autogen density is far less than in other regions at the same setting (Very Dense)
Also running P3D5 HF2. Global Base, Open LC Europe, N America, South America, Buildings HD, Trees HD and no vector.

What is interesting is that I just built a new PC, so I have P3DV5 HF2 running on this PC and on my old one. On my old one the autogen is aligned perfectly with the ground tiles.

Same simulator, same Orbx products and 2 different results. What is most disheartening to read here is that this still seems to happen even on a brand new clean install, so I'm not even tempted to start again with a clean installation.
Would love to know what is causing this as its incredibly frustrating and irritating.

After several hours of troubleshooting I'm delighted to report that I have resolved this.
All my Orbx addons are installed in a library on a separate drive, one each for P3D4 and P3D5. I have both P3D4.5 and P3D5 HF2 installed on both machines.

One major thing I noticed was that not all my tiles had misplaced autogen. Some of them were lined up perfectly, while others were all over the place.
I looked in the autogen annotator and found a number of tiles that had no autogen on them at all and many others that had GUID errors when the tiles were loaded.

First my troubleshooting steps:

1: Swapped default.xml file in my P3D5/Autogen folder with a known clean backup from my initial install. No change. Ruled out the default.xml being the cause.

2: Downloaded Nick's spb files and tried them. No change

3: I deleted my Orbx Global Base, Libraries and OpenLC Europe folders and then verified files in order to download fresh files online.
4: Ran P3D5 and there was no change.

5: Disabled OpenLC Europe, left Global Base active
6: Ran P3D5 and there was no change

7: Reactivated Open LC Europe and then de-activated Global Base
8: Problem was resolved, however having Global Base inactive isn't a real solution

At this point all signs were pointing to something being wrong in Global Base. Knowing that the autogen was working perfectly on my other machine, I decided to just trya shot in the dark. I copied my Global Base folder from that machine and the Orbx Libraries onto a flash drive to try on my new machine.

9: I removed my existing Global Base and Libraries out of my library and pasted in the replacements from my flash drive

10: Booted up P3D5 and, voila the problem had gone. Now my autogen is sitting perfectly.

What we can deduct from this seems to be:

1: Other addons modifying the default.xml or any other default autogen folders is not the cause.

2: Something is not right with certain installations in Global Base and/or Libraries.

Now on my old machine I had Global Base installed in P3D4 for years. When V5 came out like many others I added my Orbx addons.

On my new machine I downloaded a new copy of Global Base fresh from the servers.

I believe that when you already had an existing installation when you installed for V5 many of the files were copied over - please correct me if I am mistaken.

I'm obviously not an expert here but I'm strongly suspecting that there are some corrupted tiles in the Global Base or Libraries install off the servers currently, which would explain why a clean install does not resolve the problem. It would also possibly explain why so few people are reporting this, because if you had an existing Global install it likely does not happen. I also suspect many people have the problem but simply don't notice, because the autogen still appears. It's not immediately obvious, especially if you have autogen density set quite low.
It might also explain why P3D4.5 is seemingly unaffected as mfannee has verified.
I'm obviously not an Orbx developer so there are a lot of guesses here, but I've been simming and developing freeware since FS5 so I've tinkered with almost everything in-sim at some point and spent a lot of time troubleshooting problems over the years!

I'd suggest if anyone wants to test:

1: Remove any existing P3D5 Global Base and Libraries install completely.

2: Download and install fresh P3D5 Global Base and Libraries online

I also note that in my Libraries custom.gb_base folder AutogenDescriptions.spb and AutogenDescriptions_Legacy.spb are 1,361 and 1,360KB in size, which is different from Nick's.
Additionally my default.xml in my working install is 27,010KB and dated 02APRIL2020 and the one from the non-working Libraries is 27,011KB and dated 31AUGUST2020.
I suspect that this is from a Libraries update. I wonder if that might also be a potential cause?
In the default.xml from my working install there are 396,679 lines, in the non-working one there are 396,689 lines. Possibly something in these 10 lines (Appears to be 2 entires for TE FL Powergrids) that is the problem? I don't know.

Those are the only files I've been able to identify that are different between the 2 installs, however there are tens of thousands of files and I simply don't have the time or will to check every one.
If Orbx think it might be helpful and allow it, I'm certainly happy to post the 3 files mentioned above to see if it helps others dealing with this.
I'm obviously happy I have fixed it but it would be nice to find the cause, as of course not everyone is lucky enough to be in the position I was in where I had a working install already and could simply copy and paste files over. However I'm not sure these will fix things as my educated guess is that the issue is not in these files but corrupted texture tiles and/or agn files in the Global Base folder.

Hello @aig

Thank you very much for your full report. It's very kind of you to make the effort to share such a detailed report with us.

On my side, I must report some good news, although I still don't feel very confident. As you could read hereabove, I tried lots of things to get global working in p3dv5 HF2 (in vain), so on the 26th of July I was so fed up with it that I decided to switch back to p3dv4, which works perfectly with Orbx.

However, on the 1st of October I decided to give it a new try. I downloaded a fresh new copy of p3dv5 HF2 (5.0.31.35253), installed it and re-installed my Orbx scenery in it.

This time it worked...

I can't say it 'feels' very reliable, as you might understand when reading the thread hereabove, but at least it works now, and being able to fly again with Enhanced Atmospherics (p3dv5 only!) really feels wonderful to me.

The question remains: what causes the problems described in this thread? Obviously, between my last failed attempt to install my Orbx scenery (26th of July) and my succeeded attempt (1st of October), something must have changed on my PC. But what?

My backup of 'global-base' and 'global-openlc-europe' dates from the 25th of July. On the 26th I reported in this thread that I still couldn't manage to install global correctly. Since I now managed to install my Orbx scenery properly with the very same backup, I'm not so sure global or openlc-europe are the culprit (at least not the data; Orbx central is another story).

Also I inspected the list of software installed or updated between July the 26th (my last failed attempt) and October the 1st (succeeded attempt):

- I installed a fresh copy of p3dv5 HF2

- My copy of Orbx Central was updated on the 3rd of September.

- On the 9th of September Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x64) 12.0.30501 was installed/updated (I remember that some Visual C++ Redistributables are needed for Central to work properly: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QqebVX8fUFdFtOOEMR1ZULkhhieenQHNopfNY-5_K0Y/edit )

- I bought and installed MSFS2020, which must have installed all kinds of packages and/or modified the Windows registry too.

Which did the trick? I can't say.

(I don't think that the fresh copy of p3dv5 HF2 brought the solution: if my previous copy of p3dv5 HF2 was corrupt and caused the bug, I can't imagine that the others (like @aig, @Amsor @pezi) have a copy of HF2 corrupted in the same way causing the very same bug. I think that's impossible.)

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed I'm getting the same issue now by the looks of it, .. i uninstalled and reinstalled P3D 5.1 using the client , content and scenery method plus  Orbx Liberies .. GlobaL and Land class but its still the same .. Please help ... seems something is going wrong here somewhere, im installing into the P3D5.1 folder.. Could something have changed when they updated P3D?... i use both P3D4.5 and v5.1 if this helps, and they are both on the same PC

Thanks

Rich

On 7/1/2020 at 10:00 AM, Ams said:

Hello @mfannee,

Hi Nick,

Would it be possible for some one to verify if Orbx Global with OLC Europe works fine in p3dv5 hf2 in areas surrounding LFMN and LOWW? From my tests I do think Global would need to be patched in order for it to work with p3dv5 correctly. 

In case its working correctly for others then I am out of ideas to use it in p3dv5.

Cheers

I agree, after the installation of Global i get the misplaced autogen .. must be an issue with global base for P3D5.1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I have the same „misplaced autogen“ problem in my P3Dv5.1HF1 installation. After trying tons of stuff including „Delete Generated Files“ and re-activating tens of combinations of Scenery I’m absolutely convinced that Global Base is the problem. That’s why I ended up with this temporary solution:

Since I have P3Dv4 as well installed I simply deleted „Global Base Pack“ in my Orbx P3Dv5 Library and copied „Global Base Pack“ from my Orbx P3Dv4 Library into it.

As far as I can tell by now there are no negativ consequences. However I do not dare to try „Verify Files“ in the Orbx CENTRAL for the „wrong“ Global Base Pack. The Buildings and ground textures look fantastic compared to what I had before. I can confirm that not only the buildings are correctly aligned now with ground textures but also ground textures themselves look quite different.

I really hope Orbx will have a further look into the problem and will offer a real fix for the P3Dv5 and Global Base mismatch.

Take care and stay healthy!

Cheers Martin

I did not move/uninstall/reinstall/migrate via Orbx CENTRAL. I just deleted "Global Base" FOLDER in the location it is, in my case an external Library. Then I copied over my P3Dv4 Global Base FOLDER in my P3Dv5 Library Directory. 

You can do the same from within your Orbx internal library directory.

P.S. I even tried "very files" with my "wrong" Global Base Pack. All good. No files were changed/updated. So everything still perfect!

Hello,

I have received a reply from our expert developer.

He tells me that there are some files missing from the installer for P3D v5.

I attach the files in zip form.

Here are his instructions:

If the Global BASE Pack is installed in the P3Dv5 folder, copy the contents of the Scenery folder to the folder of the same name in the P3Dv5 root.

If the Global BASE Pack is installed in the library, copy the contents of the "Global BASE Pack" folder to the folder of the same name in the library.

I note that when I add the files, Windows tells me that it is replacing all 94 of them, which would explain why I do not see the problem.

Global BASE Pack.zip

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

I note that when I add the files, Windows tells me that it is replacing all 94 of them, which would explain why I do not see the problem.

Global BASE Pack.zip 4.34 MB · 1 download

Hello Nick,

just the same for me. All files from this Global Base Pack.zip are already there since I made a copy from my P3Dv4 Orbx Library (where they are obviously not missing).

However it might be a "permanent" solution now for everybody without P3Dv4...

Cheers

Martin

Archived