EGCC to EGKK in a SAAB 340A... (Obrx True Erth GB and very eventful!)

The departure and arrival airports aren't Orbx products, but the scenery in between certainly is. Thanks to a somewhat eventful flight (see the bonus video below) I decided to fly half the route at 3,000 feet. Whilst this was a little odd, it was the safest option considering the difficulties I'd experienced in the aircraft, and made for some great sightseeing. I'd normally fly over this scenery at at least FL140.

LES_Saab_340A%20-%202020-06-11%2017.08.2

LES_Saab_340A%20-%202020-06-11%2017.08.3

LES_Saab_340A%20-%202020-06-11%2017.09.2

LES_Saab_340A%20-%202020-06-11%2017.12.0

LES_Saab_340A%20-%202020-06-11%2017.25.2

These may not have been the most picturesque scenes to capture, but there were plenty of little details and intricacies to spot as the flight went on.

Now, for that bonus video:

I am, as yet, puzzled as to the causes of both instances of total loss of control. In the first instance I'd stepped away from the PC momentarily, whilst crusing at FL150, and was alerted to the danger by the warning alarm. I believed, due to seeing ice on the windscreen, that I'd inadvertently flown through icing conditions. I kept as composed as possible and concentrated on turning on the anti-ice measures before attempting to regain control of the aircraft. Whilst it worked, and I was able to climb back to FL150 and had left the anti-ice on, I once again found myself in a situation of a total loss of control.

Any ideas what went wrong? A fellow member of my virtual airline suspected it could have been a downdraft or a microburst.

You can see why I kept it at 3,000 feet for the remainder of the flight. I seriously considered diverting.

Looks pretty normal if my flights are anything to go by!:huh:

My problem is ice, or maybe the liquid the ice is floating in.:o

Anyway,  an interesting post and well recovered in the nick of time.

The 340s I used to travel on between Melbourne to Mildura usually flew at FL 140 or 150 but I did one trip where we were at 8000ft because of adverse weather higher up!

Great video too, reminds me of the Air Crash Investigation programmes we get here.

6 minutes ago, t3hb00t said:

Sorry - I forgot to reply to this to day didn't I? :unsure:

And you still haven't - if it's XP there are many pitfalls implanted in the sim.  Any overspeed seems to generate gyrations often followed by big flames - time to hit 'quit' and give it another shot.  Look everywhere in 'Settings' for an indication this is going to recurr.

1 minute ago, olderndirt said:

And you still haven't

I replied to him on another thread which had the same aircraft, so I have. I just forgot earlier, hence my apology.

The aircraft didn't overspeed as that's one of the things I learned to manage long ago, it'll oscillate uncontrollably when overspeeding. I successfully regained control of the aircraft, twice, and landed it afterwards. It handled perfectly when kept at 3,000 feet for the remainder of the flight. The initial cause remains a mystery. It was stormy, but I'm not sure if downdrafts are modelled by Active Sky XP or not.

Looking at your video, there' no indication from any engine instruments nor is your PFD/HSI showing any indication of motion.  All your backup flight instruments except airspeed are indicating properly - were you on AP at the time?  Whose SAAB Les or Carenado?

It was on AP, yes. Unfortunately X-Plane doesn't show the instruments data as they're custom coded, and thus not supported in X-Plane's limited replay capability. (It's a shame as it may have helped immensely.)

It's the LES SAAB. Typically, if there's an underlying technical issue, a console will pop up (I think it's part of the Gizmo plugin used by it) and display the error. No such error was presented and AP worked perfectly each time control of the plane was regained.

I appreciate the help. It would be good to get to the bottom of what happened.

1 hour ago, t3hb00t said:

It was on AP, yes. Unfortunately X-Plane doesn't show the instruments data as they're custom coded, and thus not supported in X-Plane's limited replay capability. (It's a shame as it may have helped immensely.)

It's the LES SAAB. Typically, if there's an underlying technical issue, a console will pop up (I think it's part of the Gizmo plugin used by it) and display the error. No such error was presented and AP worked perfectly each time control of the plane was regained.

I appreciate the help. It would be good to get to the bottom of what happened.

It looks like the AP inadvertently disengaged but I'm still wondering why your engine instrument showed nothing - no torque/revs/ oil press/oil temp nada.  Neither did your steam air peed.  I also have the Les and it's a bit quirky, not really up to date for Xp11.41 - they've been working on that for quite a while now.

8 hours ago, olderndirt said:

I also have the Les and it's a bit quirky, not really up to date for Xp11.41 - they've been working on that for quite a while now.

The main issue I've found with it is that the AP can refuse to engage IAS mode or CLIMB mode. I'm very hopeful that the update will fix it. Goran told me that my script errors are moot because they've rewritten the entire thing, so here's hoping.

Archived