Ongoing issues with true earth download

I have done everything listed in the two posts on this forum as it relates to the difficulty downloading True Earth (So CAL for x-plane in my case), both the guide and the freezing issues. Nothing seems to work. After many hours of downloading, I get a message that xxxx amount of files failed to convert. It looks like everything is okay in my folders, but when I try to run x-plane I get a pop up that informs me of missing scenery files, then x-plane crashes to desktop. I have never had issues downloading large files before, but this Orbx way is not working for me. Again, I have followed every thing in the posted guide as it relates to Orbx Central settings and Temp folder placement, etc. 

Any ideas?

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. Done everything as mentioned above. Uninstalled and reinstalled three times and ran the "very files" check to no avail. What can we do ?

Screenshot (2).png

Hi

So please go to settings\downloader and clear the temp location.

Then go to the location you designated for backups and delete the product folder.

Then go to settings\help and run the sync simulator function.

Then try reinstalling.

Thanks Doug, but I have read and double read that guide and done everything on it before I posted my post. I will give it one more shot, but it should not be this difficult to download a product. I have downloaded many Orbx products before and enjoyed them, but if I can't get this to work, I'll have to figure out how to get a refund.

I'll keep you posted,

Paul

2 hours ago, plevenda said:

Thanks Doug, but I have read and double read that guide and done everything on it before I posted my post. I will give it one more shot, but it should not be this difficult to download a product. I have downloaded many Orbx products before and enjoyed them, but if I can't get this to work, I'll have to figure out how to get a refund.

I'll keep you posted,

Paul

8 hours ago, ZS-MOW said:

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. Done everything as mentioned above. Uninstalled and reinstalled three times and ran the "very files" check to no avail. What can we do ?

Screenshot (2).png

Both of you please make an individual reply to this post from me and with it attach your Orbx Central log files available via Orbx Central/settings/help.

I see one of you is stating that they are using 11.50beta for which there is no support, so I have a suggestion in using the beta.

ALWAYS keep a functioning copy of XP. Do NOT update your functioning XP into a Beta. Always install a new copy having ticked the Check for Betas option in the XP installer.

I have 3 copies of XP. 11.41 fully functioning and over 300GB in size. 11.50b6 fully functioning and using all symlinks from 11.40 and therefore 16GB in size. Same as v11.50b10 being 16GB in size using all symlinked files from 11.40. A brand new fresh installation of a beta version does not have to use much disk space and can be deleted if things don't work.

A couple of sound reasons for that:

1. You will always have a sim to use when experiencing possible difficulties with the beta version.

2. You can just symlink or shortcut copy your whole Custom Scenery folder (and many others) from the functioning version of XOP, 11.40/41 so there is no need at all to be trying to install addons into the beta version.

Thank you Jon, I tried to attach the log but the file size was too big (12MB) so it wouldn't attach. So in the mean time I am downloading a non beta version of x-plane and I will then try the download again.

Paul

3 minutes ago, plevenda said:

Thank you Jon, I tried to attach the log but the file size was too big (12MB) so it wouldn't attach. So in the mean time I am downloading a non beta version of x-plane and I will then try the download again.

Paul

I suggest you zip the log file with either 7-zip or Winzip if you can.

Also make sure you have deleted any backup copy of the TE SoCal you may have in case it has been corrupted. If you don't then when you go to reinstall Orbx Central will use the backup copy and you will be back to square one.

1 minute ago, plevenda said:

Jon, Here is the zip file. Yes, when I go to retry the download, I will follow all the guidelines you have listed.

Thanks again

central.zip 663.28 kB · 0 downloads

I need to correct my earlier statement about the size of my Beta 10 installation of XP. It is not 16GB but 6.78GB.

See the pics below which show the complete install size and the second pic shows which files I have symlinked from 11.41. Those files have the black arrows.

Capture.thumb.JPG.36a8877ac19648471e52603815ab0e68.JPG

Capture1.thumb.JPG.d25bf51f1d627e9062a58e8df44d87a2.JPG

6 minutes ago, plevenda said:

Jon, Here is the zip file. Yes, when I go to retry the download, I will follow all the guidelines you have listed.

Thanks again

central.zip 663.28 kB · 0 downloads

I will delay asking to have this topic moved to the Orbx Central support forum until you let me know how things go with the new installation effort.

So here is what I've done. I installed a copy of x-plane 11.41 on my computer and completely restarted Orbx central and pointed it to the 11.41 version for the install. Then I went through all the steps in the guide and posts, clearing folders, setting folders, etc. Then I tried to install TE SO CAL again. STILL did not work. I'm still getting a message in the end stating that there are over 14k files that did not convert (even after verifying the files). I have attached the log, but this is getting ridiculous, this shouldn't be that difficult. I've never had issues downloading large scenery files, both Orbx and others. 

central.zip

20 minutes ago, plevenda said:

btaylo24, yes that is what I get when x-plane tries to launch.

Paul

1. What other Orbx addons have you got?

2. Please confirm you have also got these prerequisites installed:

Jon,

1. Just the libraries

2. I have the 2013 and 2017 versions. Do I need to uninstall those and install the ones listed above? It won't let me install those without uninstalling the ones I have.

Thanks

Thanks to all for your help. I finally got it worked out. I tried everything and even created a ticket for a refund because I was so frustrated. Here was the issue. When I tried downloading the required Visual C++ products, I would get a message saying I already had the product installed. Later today I got thinking that I might need the EXACT version Orbx is requiring. I looked up my installed versions and found that they are newer ('17) versions. Not sure why you wouldn't want the latest version and I hope it doesn't hurt other products in my system that need it, but I removed those versions and install the ones that Orbx wants. By golly, that was it. I tried a new install and with the exception of having to "verify" two files, all went well.

Might want to make a note in the install guide that the prerequisites have to be the exact ones specified, even if it means getting rid of newer versions.

Thanks again for everybody's help,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Archived