Catatrophy again for the 3rd time

Hello Orbx …. I just lost my simulator again for the third time …. I just finished loading the very last file, "TrueEarth Britain South", to  complete my 3rd attempt at a complete reinstall of my simulator when suddenly this shortcut file appeared  on my desktop - "index.html".  After this file appeared I could not access or start my Prpard3Dv5 simulator.

I traced the this file to the following location: "C:\Users\Terry\AppData\Local\Programs\Orbx-central\resources\app.asar\index.html". My simulator was dead. I tried reinstalling my P3dv5 client but it would not install. My only option now is to completely rebuild my Sim from scratch AGAIN!!! I have no idea why this file appeared on my desktop but it just cost me six weeks of work. I will have to got through the whole process of rebuilding again which means I will have to download all my Orbx scenery again. This simulator is a very high maintenance system and I am almost ready to throw in the towel. If I have any more bad luck with this system I'm done with it and I will try my luck with Microsoft FS2020. If you have any ideas why this file appeared I would like to hear from you. 

All I can think of is that your computer might be carrying a virus that plants that index.html into that folder.

My file structure finishes at resources:   C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Programs\Orbx-central\resources and within it is the file app.asar which cannot contain another file because it is not a folder.  So if your app.asar has been turned into a folder, I doubt that it's the Orbx install doing it.

Can you post a screenshot of your file structure so we can compare with this one:

1907390485_LocalAppdata1.jpg.12e4ed70f6e01022d562c163dbbc45dd.jpg

Hello Terry

Have you tried by not uninstalling Client and content and just clicking on the Client and Content installers for v5 and choosing Repair. It might work. I hope it does.:unsure:

Hi Nick … The situation after I noticed the index.html file appearing on my desktop was that all the links to my P3Dv5 simulator seemed to be broken. When I tried to run it P3Dv5 the error I got said there were missing files and prepar3d could not run. When I tried to uninstall my P3Dv5 client it did not ask if I wanted to unload my license key and that was a pain too since I now have to go to Prepar3d to ask them to reset my install count. The only thing I could do was to reinstall windows and the simulator because I didn't know the status of my system. I am very sorry Orbx but I have to download all my Orbx scenery again. I hope I won't tie up your server too much. This simulator is difficult to manage because of the sheer volume of data that has to be installed in order for it work properly. Anyway here I go again.

Hi Terry,

If you have Orbx scenarios on a library external to P3D 5 I think you will only have to reinstall Global Base Pack because with Orbx Central you can use the Insertion Point which will configure the P3D 5 Scenery Library with the scenarios in the p3dv5 library.

Archived