KSAN update.

Orbx Central will show an update is available and if you have enabled Auto Updates then it would have updated when you opened Orbx central. If, like me, you don't have Auto Updates enabled, there will be a red down facing arrow by the download icon.

See pic below for both mentioned settings:

Capture.JPG

I have enable auto updates selected but don't see the update yet. I even tried to verify the socal Orbx installation and it looks like it downloaded additional files but going into Misterx's KSAN scenery the runway is not flat (have abrupt ups and downs in the runway and in the taxiway). Hope this fix is made available soon.

Since more and more people are using CaptChris’s version of San Diego will the Orbx patch allow us to use his airport and Orbx downtown together? While Misterx6 airport was great most folks have moved on over last six months.

Edit

So I just looked back at Tony’s previous reply. This fix is for default San Diego airport. 

I tried CaptChris's version again but last time and this time Traffic Global still didn't work. Furthermore, this does not fix the issues with Orbx Socal and the runway; it still is not flat and has abrupt ups-and-downs in the runway and taxiways. :-(

Just did a low level heli flight up the 5 from the KSAN airport (using Captnchris KSAN and pre any update on TE SoCal), then over on the 8 through Mission Valley. Plenty of floating buildings everywhere. Perhaps a result of having my KSAN set for Flatten. Will do again after the SoCal update. 

i had said above that I sent a personal message to CaptnChris, which he did finally read but didn't respond to me and has not came onto his KSAN and commented anything either.   Hopefully that is not a indication of him not doing anything for us,  fingers crossed he is working on a resolution instead.   But I have noticed most Southern California airports that I have freeware for have humps in them.    Just flew out of KSNA (John  Wayne) and it has it also.    But as far as the update that Jon and Tony have talked about above , I haven't seen it and I have my updates turned on.   Hopefully we will hear from Orbx and CaptnChris on this very soon.   As I had told CaptnChris I  would love to see the humps fixed and the airport boundary moved over to the shoreline and if possible keep his ships / aircraft carriers but don't interfere with the Orbx CityScape . 

7 minutes ago, Jrbaird19 said:

I don’t think he responds to anybody. I do have a payware airport for SNA  and I do not have any bumps on the runway 

Yep seems your right about him not responding to a great deal of people which is ashame.     I mean before I sent a note to him 

I had contacted Justin (MisterX6) and he always gets back to you whether he can help or not.   He is the one that said I should talk

to CaptnChris.    I know he's not charging us for his Freeware but neither was Justin for a good amount of his early airports, and he 

was right on his KSFO when Northern Cal came out.   When your as talented as these guys are it probably doesn't take them much

time to get a patch put together and its always nice to see the developers work with the people.  Just bodes well for him to do this

just in case he wants to do payware down the road.  People remember how kind and helpful you are when ready to open up their wallets. 

No matter what Justin has put out, I have purchased since hes always their with answers to any of my questions.    Since his KSAN screws

with the City I have just went to the newest Gateway and deal with it until something is updated.    Thx for the note on the KSNA payware. 

5 hours ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

The update isn't live yet (only internally for testing)

Tony,

I want the latest updates, but please ensure that the new KSAN freeware is still compatible. The airport is fantastic!

Right now I do not see anything wrong with the airport.

Thanks.

Jose

1 hour ago, JoseCFII said:

I want the latest updates, but please ensure that the new KSAN freeware is still compatible

I can't, since it's not my airport to edit. The author of the airport will need to do this. I've made it compatible with the default KSAN, so it shouldn't take much for the author to adjust his version to make it compatible. I'm sure if enough people ask he'll do it :-)

59 minutes ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

I can't, since it's not my airport to edit. The author of the airport will need to do this. I've made it compatible with the default KSAN, so it shouldn't take much for the author to adjust his version to make it compatible. I'm sure if enough people ask he'll do it :-)

Got it! Thanks.

If anyone having the Payware version of KSNA make sure you are also installing the Freeware Heloport to work without a dip in the middle of the scenery. 

https://gateway.x-plane.com/scenery/page/0CL5

The Payware KSNA I purchased from this site. https://skyline-simulations.com/index.php/product/ksna-john-wayne-international/

Discussion found here: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/165904-ksna-issues/&do=findComment&comment=1583564

Dave

17 minutes ago, Chase1399 said:

If anyone having the Payware version of KSNA make sure you are also installing the Freeware Heloport to work without a dip in the middle of the scenery. 

https://gateway.x-plane.com/scenery/page/0CL5

The Payware KSNA I purchased from this site. https://skyline-simulations.com/index.php/product/ksna-john-wayne-international/

Discussion found here: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/165904-ksna-issues/&do=findComment&comment=1583564

Dave

This topic is about KSAN but you are referring to KSNA. Please try to avoid mixing items as we need to keep on track about any additional issues that may be relevant with KSAN. Thanks.

GREAT NEWS!!!!

Just installed the new TE SoCal update and it looks like it has fixed the KSAN issues involving flat runway and nearby terrain using Captnchis KSAN.

• I installed the new TE update
  • Restrored the Captnchris KSAN original apt.dat file (without the flatten command and increase in base elevation)
  • The runway appears to be flat (did a low free-camera run down the runway)
  • The nearby hills of Banker's Hill, Mission Hills, etc. are no longer cliffs, and th estreets are a bit more "normal"
  • The downtown is MUCH more populated and looks much better
  • Did NOT lose the cruise ships and working aircraft carrier  (the Midway) along the Embarcadero

I have not done a low level flight along the 5 up to the 8 and over through Mission Valley yet to see if the floating buildings are fixed, but will do that soon.

THANKS TO TONY AND HIS TEAM FOR GETTING THIS FIXED! Very much appreciated by KSAN flyers!

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 10.46.25 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 10.46.53 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 10.47.51 AM.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jrbaird19 said:

Are some buildings still missing or is that true to life at the moment?

It's still missing a lot of actual RW buildings downtown, along the Embarcadero and up Banker's Hill (what are depicted as flat-top blocks, often pink), but this is MUCH better than before. This at least gives a much truer picture of downtown SD. 

29 minutes ago, Jrbaird19 said:

So it sounds like the only way we will see Orbx San Diego is the default airport. 

No, I'm using Captnchris KSAN and the TE update has provided a LOT more downtown buildings, plus it has retained the 2 cruise ships and Midway aircraft carrier. This is much better than was expected from the update! Plus the runways are flat and the "cliffs" east of the airport are fixed.

I am not seeing any update that is available for this on my Orbx Central.    So I am very confused on how some are getting this and some aren't.   Orbx, Please explain.   Thank you. 

Update:  Well NVM .   it just came in for me. 

I have two shots of downtown from pretty much the same angle.   One is with CaptnChris scenery which has the ships and downtown and all looks good in daylight.   But my shots are at night and you can see that some buildings, especially Emerald Plaza Hotel doesn't even have the Green lights lit on his scenery.  You go back to default and its fine.  So we still need the author of the scenery to correct his KSANy up to the point of the shoreline to leave Orbx Downtown completely out.   

b738 - 2020-05-18 20.05.56.png

b738 - 2020-05-18 20.23.24.png

4 hours ago, jonesm35205 said:

You go back to default and its fine.  So we still need the author of the scenery to correct his KSANy up to the point of the shoreline to leave Orbx Downtown completely out.   

Yes correct, the author would need to sort this out... The other problem is that the exclusions around the city objects he added are too big and cut out a lot of our autogen, piers etc. I'm seeing some bug reports from people about San Diego which actually isn't our scenery at all or is really not something I have any control over.

In short, it's up to the KSAN scenery author to make the city compatible with ours.

Hopefully Captnchris can be located and induced to modify his really great KSAN package to compliment TE SoCal. FWIW, I tried loading the newest XP default/Gateway KSAN and ran with the updated TE SoCal. First, that Gateway version of a default KSAN needs the apt.dat file modified to remove the flatten command in order to avoid the "cliffs" off the end of the runway.

But I think for anyone with TE SoCal, keep in mind that using the default KSAN will result in the loss of a lot of critical POI's/landmarks that are neither in TE or the default KSANs. Thus, while there are issues with Captnchris KSAN (as Tony has kindly pointed out) interacting with TE SoCal, his KSAN does include a lot of very visually important items to make the airport and surrounding area far more realistic/lifelike. Plus the Captnchris package has the 2 functional aircraft carriers in the Bay. 

I think anyone interested in flying San Diego with TE SoCal should nicely encourage Captnchris to update his great airport package so that it compliments TE. Then we may very well have the best we can hope for at the moment.

Again, thanks to Tony and his team for getting the TE fixes done quickly, as well as pointing us to the issues that may be causing problems with the Captnchris airport package. Overall, it's fantastic to be flying San Diego and area with a much, much better overall look now as compared to a few weeks ago! 

16 hours ago, EV Simpilot said:

https://youtu.be/X8Y4LDUTDd8

would this update also resolve this issue at KSEE (near San Diego)?

I don't see an issue at Gillespie. I ran the runways with free-cam and they look flat with the updated TE SoCal. I also didn't see a newer version at XP Scenery Gateway (newest was dated 2016).

FYI .. The author (CaptnChris) of KSAN sent me a response back asking if we just want a KSAN without the city.  I told him that would be great but would love to see it still include the ships and such over their by the shoreline as long as the Orbx city is untouched.   If that can be done I told him. as I will leave that to him.   I did include in my note back to him what Developer Tony W. responded to me above.   So here's hoping we have a new KSAN coming our way that works great with TE SC. 

9 minutes ago, jonesm35205 said:

FYI .. The author (CaptnChris) of KSAN sent me a response back asking if we just want a KSAN without the city.  I told him that would be great but would love to see it still include the ships and such over their by the shoreline as long as the Orbx city is untouched.   If that can be done I told him. as I will leave that to him.   I did include in my note back to him what Developer Tony W. responded to me above.   So here's hoping we have a new KSAN coming our way that works great with TE SC. 

Thanks for the info.

@Tony Wroblewski for info and any comment.

Captnchris has provided a patch for better compatibility with TE SoCal. Seems to work so far, but welcome Tony's feedback (since he knows what his TE San Diego downtown should look like). 

• 3 weeks later...

OMG... I *just* found out about this new KSAN because I was using MisterX6 KSAN with Orbx TE SoCal and it was quite bumpy (my original reason for coming here).  

For installation purposes should the proper sequence be:

(1) Update Orbx TE SoCal

(2) Replace MisterX6 KSAN with CaptnChris KSAN

(3) Apply Orbx TE patch

Do we need to re-run that tile for ortho or should that do it?

Thanks all for your work in the previous weeks!

Archived