Thoughts on CPU upgrade

jpreou

I'm coming back into flight sim after a year or so out. I posted this also over on the NZ Flight sim forum (NZFF). Looking for thoughts....

Here are my specs...

Corsair H80i water cooler, Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz, Kingston HyperX Predator 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus Prime Z370-P II, Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB, EVGA SupeNova 750WG3 80+ Gold PSU, Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA3, LG GH24NSB0 24x DVD writer black, Cooler Master N600 case, Logitech LS21 speakers, Win10 Home

I've been keeping an eye on CPU availability and this board can take an i9-9900K / KF
If make that upgrade (and nothing else) I'll be buying some more time with this rig; the KF is down to $869 now.
In another year or so I'd probably update the graphics card too, but I found from past experience that if you miss upgrading the CPU and they no longer become available to purchase, you could end up replacing the CPU, mainboard and memory all at once! (that's exactly what happened last time; I didn't keep an eye on 'max-CPU' availability.

... welcome comments on whether this CPU upgrade is worthwhile a) generally, an b) from a flight sim perspective (currently P3D 4.5, *might* end up going v5 once all add-ons updated, *probably* end up MS2020 though that is currently speculation)

Cheers ... Jeff

I'd be sticking with what you've got.  Unless you have $5000+ to spend on the top AMD or Intel CPU and the Top GPU, like that $5600 Titan or whatever it's called.

To replace what you've got with a 9900K and 2080Ti, you might only end up with 20% more frames, given that P3D is primarily still a single core program.

The other consideration is that while this PC is currently my sim PC, when I replace it with a new one the old one will become the family gaming PC so I can play multiplayer games with my little fella. Our favorite is ARK survival, but right now we only have the one PC.

As this PC ages it becomes a greater gap to whatever new PC I buy for simming. With this same PC in an older configuration, I intended to keep an eye on CPU availability and then when the 'max' CPU the board could take was at the bottom of the list, do the upgrade. I missed that and the result was a new BM, new CPU and new memory as the tech had progressed so far. I don't want to fall into that trap again; if I 'max out' this PC it will last in the gaming role for probably another 3 years, maybe longer.

It's a dilemma, that's for sure, but thanks for your input ... interesting that an upgrade of CPU and graphics card is only likely a 20% increase ... I'll give some more thought to this (and, of course, I still have to get this past the other half! :) )     Cheers

You've got a fairly powerful PC right now. Just hold back on a couple of sliders and you'll still have a great sim experience. P3Dv5 multithreads a bit more than v4. AMD for some reason uses all cores/threads, FWIW.     v5 is worth it IMO.

Currently a 1080 is fine for P3D - only a few fps increase going to a 2080Ti card.

Yes, you will see a difference going to a 9900K, but at that price I'd not spend the $900.

Just my 2c, but the new tech becoming available over the next year will make a much bigger difference. I'd save for a platform change.

PCIe 4.0 for SSDs and Gx cards will mightily improve things, and both AMD and Intel have new stuff coming. (AMD has PCIe 4.0 now, and matching SSDs are available)

Just be aware that you need a CPU with PCIE 4.0 to use it, even if the motherboard has it. There are soon to drop PCIe 4.0 Intel boards, but no matching CPU capability (Why?)

Enjoy what ya got, and sit back to watch the Hardware wars. And keep simming.

You can also get a new decent, but not over the top PC, and network them if you have multiple screens. It’s a little bit of work setting it all up but I think it’s much more economical to have two decent systems than one expensive extreme PC.

Thanks Guys. I'll upgrade this PC later I think, when the CPU comes cheaper since I'm unlikely to see a significant benefit to flight sim. In another 18 months or so I'll buy a new one and then this one will become th family 'gaming' PC for the kids. Cheers for all the feedback, read it all and most appreciative.

Archived