Running out of VRAM at KLAX in SCTE

NeilG

Despite the number of acronyms in the title I think it speaks for itself. I haven't had this for years, I have a GTX1080Ti so I didn't really think this could be true. I used an app to see and at the time XP advised me that it was about to shut down I had 5.8 GB virtual available??. Should that have happened therefore? Hope you can help, I don't really have a clue. Thanks .

Neil.

I'm running the latest beta XP and occasionally it wont start because I've run out of vram - I also have a 1080ti. Dropping down a notch usually sorts it out, its an xp thing rather than an Orbx one I believe.

If you're not running a beta xp then I can't help unfortnuately!

Ah right. Ok, that makes me feel a bit better. I imagine its something that they will therefore be working to amend. Thanks suspman, stay safe.

Neil.

54 minutes ago, NeilG said:

Despite the number of acronyms in the title I think it speaks for itself. I haven't had this for years, I have a GTX1080Ti so I didn't really think this could be true. I used an app to see and at the time XP advised me that it was about to shut down I had 5.8 GB virtual available??. Should that have happened therefore? Hope you can help, I don't really have a clue. Thanks .

Neil.

First of all, could it be that you are mixing up virtual RAM (paging file) with VRAM (video RAM). Then, how much RAM do you have installed, what is the size of your paging file and how much free space do you have left on the drive where your paging file is located. I'm asking, because I had the same issue and could fix it quite simply.

BTW, yesterday during a flight in NorCal TE I had approx. 10 GB of textures loaded although mit 1070 GTX has only got 8 GB RAM. This possible, because RAM, VRAM and the paging file are constantly swapping files. My paging file's size is e. g.  approx 16 GB.

Same problem here guys. Whole Los Angeles area is unflyable with maximum texture set. Although I only have GTX1080 with 8GB Vram I have never had a problem like this with any Orbx TE products. Running on latest VULKAN 11.50b6

2 hours ago, NeilG said:

Neil.

I have a 1080ti 11GB vram. I have no problems in 11.50b6 with the Vulkan option enabled.

I can fly around KLAX at mid 20's fps to mid 30's fps depending on the view and with Traffic global at 70%

The settings in11.50 are very different to 11.40 I find. The AA slider will decrease your fps by at least 10fps per movement to the right. 

I also use the 3jfps toll and find it works really well with no noticeable depreciation of any sort in imagery or anything else.

Some pics showing KLAX area and also my XP settings, with the same GPU as you.

Capture4.thumb.JPG.cb15aaf854f1751f602c7557e38b9fcc.JPG

Capture5.thumb.JPG.5dc1a821defa1fb5af8ee0ded3de9c0e.JPG

My settings at 3840x2160 4K monitor

Capture6.thumb.JPG.4035162c6b9f9e041ac55378b28e63ae.JPG

I have occasions where the vram on my 2080ti starts out at about 8.5 then slowly creeps up until the whole 11 is used up, at which time the sim chokes down to single-digit frame rate.

I was trying to push the limits with everything set to max except AA which was at 4x. (no shadows or reflections). I managed to replicate this flying around KSFO at low level with two different aircraft and had it again flying around KLAX with the new TE SoCal.

Acts like a sort of memory leak.

10 hours ago, wolfko said:

@Jon Clarke How can it be that yopu have only 3067 MB of textures loaded in this area?

The texture loaded figure in my use of Vulkan has been minimal in comparison to what i get in the OpenGL version of 11.41.

I would probably be in multi gig region in 11.41.

I am assuming that the users are double checking that they are actually in the Vulkan option and this option is ticked. I know it sound a bit patronising but I have come across occasions where the enable Vulkan option has become unticked for some reason and I find my self with massive fps drops. I then check and find the Vulkan option unticked and I am running in OpenGl on 11.50. Also OpenGL in 11.50 is really poor in comparison to 11.40/41

Performance may also be associated with PC specs so the only bit of hardware that is near the top is my 1080ti with 11GB vram. CPU is average at 4.6-4.8.

With reference to my last post by unflyable I didn't mean massive fps drop but the fact that textures are not loading correctly at maximum setting. Here is few examples. Just look at the ground texture and those buildings. And this is SD version of TE SoCal.

A.png

B.png

C.png

10 minutes ago, maverickmk said:

With reference to my last post by unflyable I didn't mean massive fps drop but the fact that textures are not loading correctly at maximum setting. Here is few examples. Just look at the ground texture and those buildings. And this is SD version of TE SoCal.

A.png

B.png

C.png

Unfortunately that is an example of what some people are seeing in the 11.50 beta. I personally don't get blurries and i think it may well be due to the fact that my scenery is on a NVME M2 drive which reads/writes at 3500MB/s vs a regular SSD at 500MB/s or a disk HDD at around 120MB/s. The combination of a high speed drive and a 1080ti with 11GB vram seems to be a good combo. It all keeps up with the loading of the scenery in a timely manner. 11.50 will try to keep up with your hardware but if it can't it will sacrifice scenery loading ahead of you resulting in the blurred look.

I also have my scenery on NVME M2 drive (Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVME M2 SSD High Performance 3450 MB/s read and 3000 MB/s write) so I don't see an issue there. And why this problem seems to be isolated to this specific area? I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else. I am gonna disable Vulkan and see what happens. 

5 minutes ago, maverickmk said:

I also have my scenery on NVME M2 drive (Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVME M2 SSD High Performance 3450 MB/s read and 3000 MB/s write) so I don't see an issue there. And why this problem seems to be isolated to this specific area? I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else. I am gonna disable Vulkan and see what happens. 

What is your GPU spec and your XP settings.

I have to correct my previous statement. The problem with textures is not happening when I select TEXTURE QUALITY to maximum  but when I have NUMBER OF WORLD OBJECTS set to maximum. Just wanted to clarify this.

I have just run Orbx TE SoCal SD with Vulkan disabled and the textures loaded correctly. Average FPS was about 30 but some artefacts started appearing. And no I have't just overclocked my CPU. Picture below. 

Here is my specs:

Windows 10 Home

i7 6700K oc'ed 4.4GHZ

MSI z170A Gaming M7

32 GB RAM

Zotac Extreme GTX 1080 8 GB RAM

Sabrent 1TB NVME M2 drive for X-plane 11

CPU Liquid Cooler Corsair Hydro Series H100X 

X-plane settings

d.png

e.png

I have just done some tests at other Orbx TE regions to make sure there is nothing wrong with my system or settings or recent Vulkan beta and everything there works beautifully. Gone back to KLAX and the problem is there with the textures. Especially the ground textures degrade massively. Looks like they don't load correctly under the Vulkan. This supposed to be Vulkan ready region. Strange cause all other TE regions haven't got that issue. Unflyable at the moment. Waiting for a fix. 

6 hours ago, maverickmk said:

I have just done some tests at other Orbx TE regions to make sure there is nothing wrong with my system or settings or recent Vulkan beta and everything there works beautifully. Gone back to KLAX and the problem is there with the textures. Especially the ground textures degrade massively. Looks like they don't load correctly under the Vulkan. This supposed to be Vulkan ready region. Strange cause all other TE regions haven't got that issue. Unflyable at the moment. Waiting for a fix. 

Your lateral field of view is large. What is your weather setting as far as distance is concerned?

Any fix will probably be from Laminar as the lack of distant images or loading problems keeping up are not common to all users.

Have you tried with a lower AA setting. I find that a higher AA setting can cause not only a fps loss of about 10 fps per notch to the right but can influence loading scenery in flight. You see i use 2xssaa+fxaa rather than your one notch higher setting. Worth a test flight in the affected area to see if it improves the situation.

Ok looks like the problem might be on my side. I have started the sim this morning at KLAX when my rig was still cold and everything loaded correctly. Everything looked fantastic for the first 5 minutes and then the textures quality degraded. I suspect problem witch my GPU or CPU. I am gonna have to start monitoring those temperatures. This blurry textures only happen in the more or less 20NM radius from Los Angeles metropolitan area. There is no issues with other parts of TE SoCal. This area is particularly autogen dense. It's much bigger than Seattle or San Francisco or Portland so I think my GPU or CPU might be having troubles. I have turned frame rate data output on in the left upper corner of the screen but that doesn't indicate anything unusual. 

Anyway I will try different settings and see what happens. Jon thanks for all your replies. 

Archived