SoCal flight log: Palm Springs - Lancaster - Porterville

flavik

Hi all

Since Steveo agreed to let me borrow his TBM for another day, I was quick to plan a VFR flight showcasing more of Orbx SoCal! I departed from KPSP Palm Springs (quickly becoming my go-to airport in SoCal - just as it was back in the days of FSX), headed northwest over San Bernardino National Forest and San Gorgonio Mountain, then turned westbound to track to Palmdale VOR (PMD). I decided that KWJF General William J. Fox airfield at Lancaster would be a decent place for a quick stop and set up for a quick and easy RNAV approach to rwy 24.

For some hands-on flying and gauge instruments, I hopped into the fantastic SIAI-Marchetti SF260 by JRollon. It`s a fun but demanding aircraft that requires careful management of the engine in order to stay outside “the red box”. This includes very fine tuning of mixture, prop, manifold pressure and carburetor heat. It’s been sold as a military trainer to several small nations, and is often marketed as an aerobatic aircraft for the private market.

I departed southwest then a climbing turn towards the north. Getting to 12000` to stay clear of terrain over Sequoia Forest Park took its time in the SF260. Passing Lake Isabella then a bit further north, I decided I had enough flying for now (as I said, the aircraft is demanding). Browsing through the nearest airport list on the Garmin GTN 650, I found KPTV Porterville, just on the western side of the ridge, to be nice and suitable. 

Again a nice and easy approach - tracking to Tule VOR (TTE), then northwest 312 degrees for a while and finally RNAV approach down to rwy 12. 

TL:DR; Simply put another stunning scenery from Orbx! So many places to discover and a great change from Florida where I`ve logged some virtual flight hours recently, SoCal offers great variety both in terms of natural features and great metropolitan areas. 

blcAGRc.png

cYtPzXh.jpg

TLV9BUk.jpg

apRBrok.jpg

1nojj2t.jpg

EXqa46V.jpg

52HDRKC.jpg

PNJUYin.jpg

fcPCKNP.jpg

CLXeLJk.jpg

cIqySC4.jpg

XZVnQVB.jpg

NFIRuAM.jpg

JqVMGwT.jpg

WBgwaAw.jpg

LDCD1we.jpg

jUAf0Ad.jpg

Thanks @Iain Emms and @BradB! Beta testing Vulcan, it’s inevitable to sacrifice visuals for performance (as xVision is out of the picture). This is default XP visuals with a tad vibrance and sharpening added using nVidia control panel. A bit bland and too hazy in my opinion, but I’m slowly getting used to it. Performance is amazing though!

Archived