Curious about Meigs

Louis

A  lot of us remember here that this was the default airport and in real life they shut it down, what happened , did the city find it too expensive to keep open of what?i was looking  at the rendition Orbx has made for it , might get it ,not sure yet, although its looks real nice . I'm being extra careful on spending with all this going on .

> in real life they shut it down, what happened , did the city find it too expensive to keep open of what?

A (Not gonna say it) politician who wanted to create a park for personal reasons, literally brought in bulldozers in the middle of the night when no one was around and bulldozed the runway , then said this is now mine, every body else out, and took it over for his personal agenda. Very nasty process from a very low politician.

I'm not from Chicago either, but I know that the 'island' is still there and recognizable, it is simply no longer an airport. Being that it is a park, it certainly should be available to visit. If I were there, I would visit with my Google Earth app open on my phone, and the time travel feature activated to prior to the shut down, so I can see where I am in comparison to what I know WAS there.

Archived