P3D v4.5 vs P3D v5 - Side by Side Performance Benchmark

HiFlyer

Overall, unimpressed.

An average of 8-10 frames improvement  -  despite reduced CPU usage and increased GPU usage.

Visuals.......was there a stark improvement over v4?

And need I say, how will the frames and smoothness pan out when "real" 3rd party aircraft are in the mix like PMDG, FSL, Aerosoft, etc?

7 minutes ago, XCLTM3 said:

Overall, unimpressed.

An average of 8-10 frames improvement  -  despite reduced CPU usage and increased GPU usage.

Sorry, what?!

The video shows as much as a 33% improvement in FPS by only spending the cost of a new P3D licence.
Many, many simmers spend hundreds, if not thousands of $ on hardware to get even a 10% improvement.

Guess expectations of what is considered 'good' vary wildly.

I for one would happily take a 18 - 33% improvement if it can be replicated when more demanding payware (aircraft and scenery) is added.

4 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

A quick comparison by Jordan King

Thanks for sharing.

13 hours ago, F737NG said:

Sorry, what?!

The video shows as much as a 33% improvement in FPS by only spending the cost of a new P3D licence.
Many, many simmers spend hundreds, if not thousands of $ on hardware to get even a 10% improvement.

Guess expectations of what is considered 'good' vary wildly.

I for one would happily take a 18 - 33% improvement if it can be replicated when more demanding payware (aircraft and scenery) is added.

Thanks for sharing.

The "18-33% improvement if it can be replicated when more demanding payware" is the operative here. At this stage, we can only hope there will be a significant increase.

Without the real comparison of a 3rd party "frame hog" aircraft, what improvement if any is open to conjecture. 

But by simply observing the pure numbers on the screen - all one has to do is allow for let's say a PMDG aircraft into the mix, and that may very well absorb the increase differential.

I observe this in V4.4 - if I load a default a/c at a specific location - look at external/internal views and observe frames.

Then I load a PMDG aircraft - same location - external/internal views - and voila! A drop in frames of at least 10+ in comparison to the default. 

Hopefully there will be a substantive video produced soon, showing a PMDG aircraft in v4 as opposed to v5. Then, let's introduce True Earth into the mix - with a 3rd party airport that is known to be intensive - that will be the definitive moment for me - whether to purchase the upgrade - or not.

14 hours ago, XCLTM3 said:

The "18-33% improvement if it can be replicated when more demanding payware" is the operative here. At this stage, we can only hope there will be a significant increase.

[...]

Then I load a PMDG aircraft - same location - external/internal views - and voila! A drop in frames of at least 10+ in comparison to the default. 

Hopefully there will be a substantive video produced soon, showing a PMDG aircraft in v4 as opposed to v5. Then, let's introduce True Earth into the mix - with a 3rd party airport that is known to be intensive - that will be the definitive moment for me - whether to purchase the upgrade - or not.

Yet the video was comparing like-for-like.
Same aircraft. Same scenery.

The performance improvements exist and are noteworthy.

I only put my caveat of replication with more demanding payware into my earlier comment because some developers may not optimise their products appropriately for the new sim.
However, early testing by some shows that v5 with demanding add-ons is showing a good performance increase over what was delivered with v4.

I fly helicopters and small jets and I am getting 45 FPS in VR which I believe is max ( 45 +45) 90 frames in stereo . 

I could not be happier compared to what I had being 25 at most . 

Not everyone uses the complex PMDG 737  so the majority of us are in heaven. If you fly helicopters you are in egg beater heaven as it’s just stunning. 

Maybe PMDG need to clean up their own code to not just make it compatible but to make the code more efficient in execution. 

I am still no where near maxing out  the cores in my CPU other than at load up. I’ll be interested to see the next iteration as to how they will get a better multi core usage , it’s still not there yet . 

With so much choice in upgraded sims it’s a crowded marketplace so MSF 2020 might be in a tailspin as it’s suddenly got very competitive for developers and with such a limited range of aircraft and lack of VR support and not a single  helicopter this new MS sim needs to be a lot better than what they have released in their forum . 

31 minutes ago, I8Orbx said:

MSF 2020 might be in a tailspin as it’s suddenly got very competitive for developers and with such a limited range of aircraft and lack of VR support and not a single  helicopter

It is still in Alpha.......

23 minutes ago, Scott Harmes said:

It is still in Alpha.......

Yes I am aware of that just saying since the upgrades in performance by XPlane,  P3D then you have  DCS ( with dual users in same aircraft and combat ) and then Aerofly FS2 promising a lot more it’s pretty crowded in the market place these days . The bar has been lifted and a lot of summers are pretty sticky to move on ( look at the still huge FSX community), this new sim  needs to offer a lot more than just the same . 

47 minutes ago, I8Orbx said:

Yes I am aware of that just saying since the upgrades in performance by XPlane,  P3D then you have  DCS ( with dual users in same aircraft and combat ) and then Aerofly FS2 promising a lot more it’s pretty crowded in the market place these days . The bar has been lifted and a lot of summers are pretty sticky to move on ( look at the still huge FSX community), this new sim  needs to offer a lot more than just the same . 

It does make sense for the consumer to decide on one platform and stick with it even when it's no longer technically "the best", due to the expense and time required to keep multiple sims up to date with the latest addons. Migrating to a new platform often requires you to pay crossgrade fees or outright re-buy addons.

I'm still torn on X-Plane. I love the TE sceneries, but with FS2020 on the horizon and P3D v5 promising to be compatible with most P3D v4 addons, I still have some doubts about going all-in when it comes to buying addons.

34 minutes ago, JaseJ said:

Stick with P3d v4.5 hotfix 3 I wouldn't bother upgrade to P3d v5 because FS2020 coming out soon not far away looks mint than P3d v5..

Except there are still no gliders , no helicopters and no VR. That's a lot of people that may just stick to these upgraded legacy sims and there are still huge amounts of people with FSX. Yes I know it is still being worked on but until I know it has that there is zero chance I will not be abandoning my current sims and investments when its the best it's ever been for me with these upgrades.

I have 4.5 and now 5 running and I will not  ever be using V4.5 again as  FPS V5 is amazing especially with Orbx upgrades. Then with this new sim to be released there are people saying that the developers don't know how to stream data for scenery in VR as it's simply not just coding in the program its this new background scenery server that will have to stream VR. It will be a bit bland without VR and even if it was 8k I wont be going back to monitors.

Cheers

Archived