Potholes Africa_LC

7 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

Location please?

This one is short finals FNLU (Luanda) ... but dams and lakes around Cape Town are on little hills (don't know how to describe the elevations with water on top) ... when you fly to George (FAGG) you will also see potholes and the mountains have little spike peaks.

Hello Terblanche ,

the problem is as old as the simulator.

It is not the landclass but the included mesh.

The airport and water bodies elevations are set by the simulator and unfortunately,

in some areas of the FSX\P3D world, they are not particularly accurate.

Adding a better quality mesh results in the terrain elevation being corrected but the water

and indeed airport elevations remain fixed, resulting in either hills or depressions,

depending on whether the water or airport is too high or too low.

There is not a problem if no added mesh is used and the simplest solution will be to

disable the open LC Africa mesh element.

Global Vector goes a long way towards correcting these anomalies

Here is a series of images that illustrate the effect.

The effect as you see it: Open LC Africa and its mesh active. Note that the airport is also affected.

2020-3-28_10-1-40-485.jpg

open LC Africa and default mesh. Note that the airport is also now level.

2020-3-28_10-8-28-616.jpg

open LC Africa with Pilot's Global Ultimate mesh, you can see that the anomaly is more pronounced. Note that effect around the airport also.

2020-3-28_10-12-3-934.jpg

Open LC Africa, Pilot's Global Ultimate mesh and Global Vector. All is well and indeed there is a previously missing water body. 

2020-3-28_10-15-0-280.jpg

Here is the P3D default view, no added open LC, no Global Vector and no added mesh.2020-3-28_10-31-8-939.jpg

Finally, here is the default view with no Orbx products but with Pilot's Global Ultimate mesh.

2020-3-28_10-33-16-819.jpg

21 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

There is not a problem if no added mesh is used and the simplest solution will be to

disable the open LC Africa mesh element.

Thank you so much Nick ... it makes sense.

How do I "disable the open LC Africa mesh element" ...?

I see this folder:

c:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Orbx\FTX_OLC\OLC_AF_mesh\

EDITED: I have FS_Global_NG_FTX installed.

14 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

as you have it installed inside your P3D  folder, just untick the Orbx!OPENLC_AFRICA_MESH entry.

Will do that ...

In my setup, when I disable the Orbx Africa_LC altogether and it is only default + pilot's mesh, then I don't see any potholes ... ???

Hello,

it's not something I have tried yet but I would think that editing the reference to it out of the 

add-on.xml file in the open LC Africa Library folder will do it.

I don't have it installed that way but if you care to attach the xml file, I can do it for you,

unless of course you are quite happy to do it yourself.:)

Ok, Thanks,

later i will you send the XML file from Orbx LC Afrika.

I have all my Orbx prudukts install outside the P3D Folder.

The only Folder is Orbx Libs. This stay in P3D Folder.

where can I find an optimal scenery library to compare my entries.
It's about the Orbx entries where they should be.

Frank

• 3 months later...

Ai ai ... it's really a struggle and for a lot of other reasons I don't want to install Vector again because I have endless problems with some airports ...

I've now disabled Orbx's Africa Mesh as well as FS Global Ultimate 2020 Africa Mesh and still the hills and holes stand out like pimples on a beauty queen's face. Why is this only over Africa and South America and nowhere in your North America / Canada, Europe, or New Zealand landclass?

[HUGE SIGH of despair] Africa is my home continent and as a real pilot I have many many hours flying across this vast continent and at the moment the only thing my OCD sees is the ditches, trenches, potholes, and water & river hills.

I don't know how to fix it and the strangest part of it all is that if I completely delete Orbx Africa_LC then all the pimples disappear which means that something somewhere somehow is having a tantrum and I don't want to uninstall this landclass by Orbx.

ORBX_2.jpg

ORBX_1.jpg

Hello,

the most likely explanation is that when you "disabled Orbx's Africa Mesh as well as FS Global Ultimate 2020 Africa Mesh",

it wasn't successful.

You screen shots do seem to be showing what happens when misplaced water elevation is exacerbated by adding a more accurate mesh.

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

You screen shots do seem to be showing what happens when misplaced water elevation is exacerbated by adding a more accurate mesh.

I can disable both Orbx's Mesh and FS Global Ultimate's Mesh and the displaced water elevation is still there. The only way to get rid of it is to uninstall Orbx's Africa_LC and only use FS Global Ultimate 2020. That's what's so sad about the whole issue ... 

Hello,

you have no need to uninstall something to check if it is the cause of a problem,

you need only to disable it in either the scenery library or in the add-ons list.

It might be that your copy of openLC Africa still has mesh files inside it.

Please have a look for files named !OLC_AF_Mesh in your

FTX_OLC\OLC_AF2\Scenery folder.

4 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Thanks, can you give me the location of your screen shot and I'll take a look there later on this evening. 

It's in South Africa between George (FAGG) and Port Elizabeth (FAPE) ...

Thank you Nick

Thank you Nick ...

it seems that it is either NO mesh (which means no Table Mountain in my hometown or Outeniqua Mountains where my parents live in George) ... or mesh with vector and then endless problems with airports.

[sigh]

:(

PS: ... and there is no way to enable VECTOR only for Africa ...?

On 7/9/2020 at 11:30 AM, Nick Cooper said:

The default airports in Africa are, as I am sure you know, not very good.

I don't think that is really the fault of Vector, although its own data can be

a bit sketchy at times, due to the general lack of real world data.

I think for most default airports in P3D you can only rely on one thing and that is a strip on the ground looking like a runway. The rest, like the coast line, is just a line between ground and ocean. I many times think to myself - if the coastline around South Africa has sooooooooooo many mistakes / faults then surely it must be true for the rest of the world. It's probably something that P3D inherited from FSX and never bothered to fix it.

Archived