Installation flexibility

degeus

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:  

Simulator:  P3D V4.5

Screenshot:  not possible

Issue:  cannot install version 2 of Southern England

Hello,

The standard installation via Central stops and says: "Not enough space", but in the meantime it damaged my scenery.cfg and my add-on.xml. I have a special way to install both sceneries and aircraft, all in different places and drives. I prefer installing add-ons via a zip-file, move it into my desired location and edit the needed config-files. 

Installing the original True Earth version (ordernr 5b6b2cf9c25d2) caused also a lot of work to repair those files. 

Now my question is can you send me a link where I can download the zipped scenery and texture files of version 2 in order to make ijnstallation easy for me and according to my way of working. Also in this case the manual download function was blocked by you, as I would try that before this question.

I hope you can help me before thinking of buying the two new parts for England and Scotland (and I would like to have then those versions in the same way)..

With kind regards,

Piet de Geus

Netherlands

On 2/4/2020 at 3:12 AM, degeus said:

The standard installation via Central stops and says: "Not enough space"

You can choose the location to install your scenery in Central by going to Central -> Settings -> Libraries. Create a new library in the drive/location of your choosing.

If it is your temp location that is lacking space, you should change that in Central -> Settings -> Downloader. You can set this to any drive that you wish.

it damaged my scenery.cfg and my add-on.xml

Can you please upload your central.log, scenery.cfg and add-on.xml so we can see what has happened? (Instructions for uploading the central.log can be seen in your original post).

Now my question is can you send me a link where I can download the zipped scenery and texture files of version 2 in order to make ijnstallation easy for me and according to my way of working. Also in this case the manual download function was blocked by you, as I would try that before this question

The "manual download" contains files that can only be read by Orbx Central. We don't offer a .zip containing the raw scenery files - all installs must go via Orbx Central.

After you have downloaded and installed the scenery, you may move it to any location you wish (albeit unsupported by us).

• 4 weeks later...

No,

I did those things before, tiome wasting and not suitable for me. One of the nastiest things is that it ruins my scenery.cfg and add-on.xmls, which takes a lot of time to repair.

To be fully in control of all aspects of installation I just need a simpe zip with a relevant sceneryfolder and a texturefolder, containing all items. Then  I can control both location of files and the entries in either scenery.cfg or add-on.xml (which I have organised by country or region. This is also the way that many suppliers offer their product, sometimes via an exe that offers the choice of installationlocation with then also the descriptive entries coming into that location. From there it is very easy to move everything to the desired spots.

So I want this having resolved before I buy additional Orbx products, starting with the update of True Earth England South.

Hello,

although you are unlikely to need this advice, I will offer it in any case.

To be fully in control of all aspects of installation, you could make backups of your scenery.cfg and add-ons.cfg files before installing any product by using Orbx Central.

Once the new product is installed, delete the newly created scenery.cfg files and add-ons.cfg files and replace them with your backups. 

You are then back to where you were before the product installation and free to manipulate the installed files and cfg files as you wish.

It is unlikely that having created Orbx Central, the developers will then discard it and provide a "simple zip", when the customer who wishes to make their own bespoke installation can still easily do so using their undoubted expertise to deal with this method of installation.

Hello Nick,

Yes, this is a possibility. But then another problerm remains. When having the Orbx-products moved into my desired locations, then the Orbx Central would not install the update of England South, saying not enough space. The HDD on which it should be has free space of about 1TB. So still there are hurdles inside your forced installation procedures. I must say that as far as I can see, you are the most forcing installler, some of them e.g. put. redicoulously enough, their name into the title of an aircraft or into the foldername, making maintenance more difficult. I prefer simple zip-files, eventually accompanied by a clear read-me.

Your way of prescribing installation assumes you are the only one supplier a simmer will have.. When obeying all kinds of different default installations, one's system becomes a mesh. Also in an installation.exe one can have licence-checks, but freedom in locationchoices. 

What is wrong by sending me zip-files?

For the time beeing, I will not buy additional Orbx-products.

4 minutes ago, degeus said:

What is wrong by sending me zip-files?

I think the main reason is that they do not exist.

Your expertise in file manipulation should provide you with the means to completely rearrange

the files, once they have been installed using Orbx Central, so I feel that I have no need to advise

you on how it can be done.

Suffice it so say that if an Orbx Central Library is used, each product will be neatly contained inside

a folder bearing that product's name.

11 hours ago, degeus said:

But then another problerm remains. When having the Orbx-products moved into my desired locations, then the Orbx Central would not install the update of England South, saying not enough space.

The products are downloaded and extracted to a temp location first before they are installed to the final location and sometimes require over 2x the file size to accomplish this.

If you go to settings/downloader you can chose the location and the behavior of this process.

There is a user guide that can be found at settings/help/user guide.

Archived