Thames Airshow

cyberpilot

Here in NZ it's the summer airshow season and yesterday I worked as an aircraft marshaller at my local aero club which co-hosted Thames Wings & Wheels at NZTH.

Around 70 aircraft flew in for the occasion which was a pretty good turn out for a small town airshow.

There was even a visitor from the States - a Wyoming based C182 which is touring NZ popped in for a couple of hours.

In between running around showing them where to park in sizzling 32C temperatures I managed to shoot quite a few pix that I thought I would share with you guys.

They provide a pretty good snapshot of the recreational aviation scene in NZ which today is very much dominated by light sport aircraft - GA aircraft like C172s are largely confined to flying schools.

One of the highlights of the day was an excellent display by the NZ Warbirds "Roaring Forties" Harvard/Texan team.

BTW Thames airfield is also known as Sir Keith Park Memorial Airfield.

Park, who was born in Thames, was a World War One flying ace and went on to steer the RAF to victory in the Battle of Britain during the Second World War.

He retired from the RAF as an Air Chief Marshall and lived out the rest of his life in NZ.  

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0509 (2).jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0507 (2).jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0521 (2).jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

6 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Some great looking aircraft in these shots

That was my thinking to when looking at the pictures.

A good pack of warbirds too, like the Mustang, P-40, Stearman and of course the Moth.

Nice to see a Kiwi roundel next to the Commonwealth ones.

Archived