YMML - Darker than surrounding terrain??

As per my screenshot below, you can see that the airport terrain is much darker than the surrounding terrain. I've looked through the forum to see if anyone else has had the same issue but it doesn't seem so. Do you have any idea what is causing this? All other Orbx airports are fine.

2019-12-14_0-24-6-64.jpg

Apparently P3D has changed the way that some of these shadow textures etc are handled, which is a pain, but presumably is part of the performance improvements.

The only advice I got from a similar scenario was to try different lighting settings in the menu options, HDR and the shadow settings, and maybe you'll strike it lucky.  otherwise you'll just have to pretend there's a YMML shaped shadow over the airport. :-)

It's definitely not cloud shadows. Unless every time I fly in and out of YMML there just happens to be a YMML shaped cloud perfectly covering the field lol

I've tried many many different light settings, unticked cloud shadows, with or without tomatoshade/reshade etc. Nothing removes the dark area so it must be inbuilt in the scenery textures.

I'm curious, are there any other P3DV4.5 users experiencing the same thing?

2019-12-16_13-31-30-715.jpg

35 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I do not see this at all.

1.jpg

I don't suppose you could have a second version installed or some other product that could have added a second photo insert?

Hi Nick,

No I don't. The only YMML product I have only and always used is Orbx. I've had a look through my scenery library and there is only the one entry for YMML being FTXAA_YMML and it's on top of all other Orbx products.

I might try an uninstall/reinstall and see if that makes any difference. I have a feeling a tried this a while back though with no luck.

Just adding one more option. 

This can easily be caused by your shaders if using PTA or other shader-addons. Make sure scenery items and terrain have the same light settings in PTA or it may make the ground way darker or brighter than the sourrundings.

We had the same issue sometimes at ESSA where the ground polygons get either too dark or bright when users not having the PTA set correctly.

Depending on technique used for implementing the ground imagery it will be affected by the PTA shaders (if you dont have this problem at other airports).

On 12/16/2019 at 7:16 PM, Marcus Nyberg said:

Just adding one more option. 

This can easily be caused by your shaders if using PTA or other shader-addons. Make sure scenery items and terrain have the same light settings in PTA or it may make the ground way darker or brighter than the sourrundings.

We had the same issue sometimes at ESSA where the ground polygons get either too dark or bright when users not having the PTA set correctly.

Depending on technique used for implementing the ground imagery it will be affected by the PTA shaders (if you dont have this problem at other airports).

I'm using Tomatoshade. I can see 'Terrain lighting', but how do I check 'scenery lighting', what does this come under?

18 minutes ago, Dmajestic80 said:

I'm using Tomatoshade. I can see 'Terrain lighting', but how do I check 'scenery lighting', what does this come under?

Hi!

Not sure how its set with Tomatoshade but in in PTA it's under Object Lighting and Terrain Lighting.

It was just a suggestion btw, I know I've seen this issue before and then it was due to PTA treating terrain and objects differently.

20 hours ago, Marcus Nyberg said:

Hi!

Not sure how its set with Tomatoshade but in in PTA it's under Object Lighting and Terrain Lighting.

It was just a suggestion btw, I know I've seen this issue before and then it was due to PTA treating terrain and objects differently.

Thanks Marcus. I removed Tomatoshade and the problem was fixed. At least I now know the cause. I can tweak TS to better suit YMML. Cheers

Archived