Word to the wise...check your Scenery.ini file!

Orbx Flyer

After Orbx Central installed Northern California,  I ran my XP to the open screen. Then shut XP11 down...and checked my Scenery.ini file. What I found, was that the Northern California installation, caused three of my Ortho4XP files to slip to the top of the Scenery.ini load in...which can lead to all sorts of display problems.  I then took them back to be with their brothers and sisters!   So...after every install, and especially from a commercial 3rP....you **MUST run XP11 once**, to allow the Scenery.ini file to be created by XP11...,and then see what changes or effects, installing that scenery did to your scenery order.  If something has moved...merely as I did...CUT and PASTE it back to where you want it to be.  Then of course press SAVE to lock it down.   Run XP11 and all should be well, as with your new scenery addition, also.

10 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

After Orbx Central installed Northern California,  I ran my XP to the open screen. Then shut XP11 down...and checked my Scenery.ini file. What I found, was that the Northern California installation, caused three of my Ortho4XP files to slip to the top of the Scenery.ini load in...which can lead to all sorts of display problems.  I then took them back to be with their brothers and sisters!   So...after every install, and especially from a commercial 3rP....you **MUST run XP11 once**, to allow the Scenery.ini file to be created by XP11...,and then see what changes or effects, installing that scenery did to your scenery order.  If something has moved...merely as I did...CUT and PASTE it back to where you want it to be.  Then of course press SAVE to lock it down.   Run XP11 and all should be well, as with your new scenery addition, also.

Do you use X-Organiser?

2 hours ago, Sentry11 said:

Had the same problem as "Orbx Flyer", and I don't use x-organizer. It seems the installer fiddles with the order in the "ini" file when installing. The "ini" file usually will require adjusting after the install.

I understand what you and Orbx flyer are saying but have personally not had that experience regarding the layering of files being rearranged. The only file I note that keeps going to a wrong layer is Orbx Needles. I have explained many, many times to the Orbx team that Needles was made an icao labelled airport so that chopper landings could be made, and as such should be above Global airports so that the Lighthouse image is not duplicated etc. Central keeps putting it back below Global Airports every time you run Central during an install.

Hi all,

Orbx Central may perform some reshuffling of the .ini based on the types of scenery it detects. It does this to correctly insert Orbx products in the correct places. Due to the massive range of third-party content for X-Plane it is hard to detect and treat each one correctly, therefore you may see some behavior like this.

This is what we're doing to alleviate this in the future:

• In an upcoming version of Orbx Central, you'll have the ability to disable the scenery_packs.ini modification. This is suited for those who wish to maintain their own scenery_packs layering or use third-party tools to do so.
  • We may also investigate improving the X-Plane layering logic to make it more robust when dealing with other scenery (i.e ortho).

Archived