KGPI Flickering Runway

For some reason the end of the runway, or should I say start of Rwy 2. there is flickering, the kind associated with elevation issues. ie. flickering between the top texture and a different texture beneath. This is not associated with aliasing, this is while sat on the ground and I move to an external view, the entire runway width flickers as I move the view around. I have no duplicate AFCADS associated with the airport, all have been removed from MTX folder. There are no other third party mesh addons and I have run the Vector airport elevation tool twice with no change. Help appreciated fellas, thanks.

Hello,

If a problem is widespread, it is common for a seconder to appear, especially after a week.

Recently, you posted a topic in which you demonstrated a problem with disappearing

autogen that no one has been able to replicate.

It seems that you have once again found a problem that no one can so far replicate either.

I am assuming that using your long experience of simulators, you have already ruled out

the obvious, that flicker is often the result of two objects fighting  to display in the same

place?

5.jpg

Cannot replicate this despite trying everything I can think of.The clip mode in cameras.cfg file can affect how scenery testures display but in my experience it only affects textures far away.

Just to confirm you're seeing this texture as the main one?

KGPI1.thumb.jpg.8889b280bac8828fdb8b40140cd67725.jpg

Hi John, yes I see this texture, but this appears to be the lower texture. Just been into the scenery folder of KFCA/KGPI to see if there is anything obvious that may be out of place but I can't see anything. Very odd as I seem to have gone through the obvious culprits.  Here's a screengrab... which is also odd because the textures seem to be a combination of the texture you have, the lower texture, and the upper texture seems to mirror that of Nick's scenery!    

sample.jpg

People were seeing a similar thing at YBBN which I managed to replicate by having another YBBN in one of the scenery folders.

My advice would be to untick every single possible scenery layer in your scenery library, using a scenery config editor makes it an easy task, and see what happens with just the base program and the KGPI scenery active.  If some are in the Orbx Central library they can be disabled by renaming each one's add-on.xml file to .OFF for the purposes of testing.

That might give you some clues, or it might not.  Let us know how it goes.

Just now, John Dow said:

People were seeing a similar thing at YBBN which I managed to replicate by having another YBBN in one of the scenery folders.

My advice would be to untick every single possible scenery layer in your scenery library, using a scenery config editor makes it an easy task, and see what happens with just the base program and the KGPI scenery active.  If some are in the Orbx Central library they can be disabled by renaming each one's add-on.xml file to .OFF for the purposes of testing.

That might give you some clues, or it might not.  Let us know how it goes.

I'll check things out John. Many thanks Nick also.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem, but it did not occur until after I created a new AFCAD file for it using Airport Design Editor. It seems that creating a new AFCAD, even if using the included one as a basis, causes the runway flickering. Even something as simple as changing the parking codes and nothing else will cause the flickering to start.

Turns out that the flickering only happens for me if I load my previously created default flight at the ORBX Meigs field first. If I load the Prepar3D default flight with the F-22 at Eglin or create another default flight at another airport I can load Glacier Park with either the original or my own created AFCAD file and don't get any flickering. So for me it only happens if I load the ORBX Meigs Field first.

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2019 at 8:42 AM, rockliffe said:

For some reason the end of the runway, or should I say start of Rwy 2. there is flickering, the kind associated with elevation issues. ie. flickering between the top texture and a different texture beneath. This is not associated with aliasing, this is while sat on the ground and I move to an external view, the entire runway width flickers as I move the view around. I have no duplicate AFCADS associated with the airport, all have been removed from MTX folder. There are no other third party mesh addons and I have run the Vector airport elevation tool twice with no change. Help appreciated fellas, thanks.

So I had the problem (again) and spent some time digging deeper. I decided to do an uninstall and when I did that I found I still had the ground polygon showing despite removing all traces of the KGPI files. Turns out there were two SODE files left in the ../Program Data/12b Pilot/SODE/xml folder (SODE_KGPI_GP and SODE_KGPI_Jetways). It wasn't until I manually deleted these files that the Orbx KGPI was completely gone from my system.

I then re-installed KGPI. At first it worked fine, but since I wanted to make custom changes to the parking, I had to create a new ADEP4 file. I backed up the originals and first created one with my old saved ADEP4 files. This led instantly to runway flickering so I restored the original which eliminated the flickering. I then tried creating a new ADEP4 file using the originals as a base. Even just re-compiling the original led to runway flickering which led me to believe there is some elevation issue. I started looking around and noticed an XML folder in the installation folder that contained the same two files I had found earlier in the SODE Program Data folder. I looked at the SODE_KGPI_GP.xml file which I surmised controlled the ground polygon and saw the "ALT=" entry. I experimented with it and changed it to read Alt="0.050#AGL". At first this didn't fix the issue but then I looked and saw the two files in the SODE Program Data folder were there again so I made the change to the SODE_KGPI_GP.xml file in the SODE folder. Now, I can use my custom ADEP4 file and no more runway flickering. I've been flying into and out of KGPI for a couple days now and haven't noticed a single issue of runway flickering.

To recap, I was able to eliminate the flickering by changing the ground polygon elevation in the SODE_KGPI_GP.xml file to read Alt="0.050#AGL". There's two of them, you can find them in the folders:

../Program Data/12b Pilot/SODE/xml

..<where you have your Orbx files saved, library or P3D>/KGPI Glacier Park International Airport/Orbx/SODE_Data

Regards,

Nick

Archived