Idea for Orbx: some sort of 'TrueEarth lite' for MSFS

WhoCares

MSFS will come with quite a few very detailed 'photogrammetry' cities but obviously most of the world will be rather generic. Would it be an idea for Orbx to investigate if they could create some sort of 'TrueEarth lite' regions for MSFS? 

1. Orbx won't have to deal with ground textures like they have to do with their current TrueEarth regions because MSFS will have them by default;

2. Orbx won't even have to deal with most buildings like they have to do with their current TrueEarth regions because MSFS will have them by default;

3. Orbx will only have to focus on POI's because from the recent Seattle reports we learned that those are the main missing items in non-photogrammetry cities!

These 'TrueEarth lite' regions would take far less time to create, would be a LOT smaller in size but they would certainly fill a huge gap in MSFS. MS is doing 75% (or maybe even more) of what Orbx usually has to do for their current TrueEarth series and so Orbx only has to do some additional work to make things really great. Just an idea. 

Only little problem could be that more photogrammetry will be added in the future by MS and that could make some 'lite' regions redundant. But still, there will always be room for more POI's. And let's not forget the airports! Maybe these TE lite regions could focus on not only POI's but also the airports! Again, just an idea.

On 10/9/2019 at 5:31 AM, Flamingpie said:

MSFS will come with quite a few very detailed 'photogrammetry' cities but obviously most of the world will be rather generic. Would it be an idea for Orbx to investigate if they could create some sort of 'TrueEarth lite' regions for MSFS?

You talking about FlightSim 2020? I had assumed they were looking for uniformly good coverage of the whole world, if most of the world is generic that's a bit of a dealbreaker for me.

42 minutes ago, Juanvito said:

You talking about FlightSim 2020? I had assumed they were looking for uniformly good coverage of the whole world, if most of the world is generic that's a bit of a dealbreaker for me.

The idea that most of the world will be generic holds no basis in current evidence. That's simply his opinion. 

We've seen many pictures of non-photogrammetry areas and they look great, including region specific autogen and trees. 

Archived