Mount St Helens

BobT

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice one Bob!  What a time that was, and leading up to it too.

Thanks Jack. And still an active volcano I understand, along with Mt Rainier and others in the Cascade range....Incredible that it blew 1300 feet off the top of the mountain....wowser! The crater is 3500 ft across....absolutely amazing, humbling stuff!

Nice, BobT. I was raised just southwest of Mt. St Helens. In those days, it was perfectly shaped, just like Mt Fuji, and was the focus of many a happy camping trip. No one could believe that our "friendly" mountain could blow like that, but she sure did. Luckily, I moved away--into the pyroclastic flow route for Mt. Rainier. Now I live in eastern Washington far away from those volatile beauties.

2 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Nice, BobT. I was raised just southwest of Mt. St Helens. In those days, it was perfectly shaped, just like Mt Fuji, and was the focus of many a happy camping trip. No one could believe that our "friendly" mountain could blow like that, but she sure did. Luckily, I moved away--into the pyroclastic flow route for Mt. Rainier. Now I live in eastern Washington far away from those volatile beauties.

Those must be fabulous memories, Rodger. There is nothing like a child in nature. We had the big mountains on our doorstep as well, living in Calgary. Cheers!

Archived