Backups?

andy1252

I seem to remember something in the original announcement about backups previously downloaded via FTXC being unusable with Orbx Central. Is this the case? 'Cos if so I might as well get rid of them, given that they're a few hundred gb in total. If not, can I import them somehow? I see the blurb in central says backups are automatically saved when installing products, but what about already installed products?

Operating system:  

Simulator:  

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

Yes, the backups cannot now be used. But, I wouldn't delete them just yet. There may be a patch coming to ORBX Central that will allow them to work. If not, nothing is lost...you can always delete them later....................Doug

Hi folks,

We can read the Orbx Central manual. However, in practice, you should pay attention to the proper addressing of the backup made by Orbx Central, because otherwise it will store on drive C :.

Take a look at the default path:

C:\Users\*YourUser*\AppData\Roaming\Orbx\Central\Backup

We need to get ahead of the problem and in the screen below put the address that we want the automatic backup to be put in.

OrbxCentralLocalBackup.thumb.jpg.6a43f55051e1b8a686ae695528edc647.jpg

A small sample of how Orbx Central stores backups:

OrbxCentralAutomaticBackupRedirect.thumb.jpg.a5d8f4724ce6cb125461885d64c91a30.jpg

Realize that there is no separation of simulator, all are placed in a single repository.

That's it.

Cheers,

Spoiler

8 hours ago, W2DR said:

There may be a patch coming to ORBX Central that will allow them to work.

Thanks for the confirmation, Doug, and I see you're a "glass half full" kinda guy! Still, they did reinstate the loading in to the sim part so you may be right - a good thought.

7 hours ago, Traveller said:

no separation of simulator, all are placed in a single repository.

Yes, I'd noticed that. Another little detail missed in this utility, I feel. And don't get me started on "appdata". All sorts of stuff seems to end up in there these days (and I don't just mean Orbx stuff) and it's way too easy to miss when you're trying to backup specific environments. Yeah yeah, I know we should back up the C: drive but that can often be quite stable in comparison to application environments so doesn't really warrant the same frequency of backup.

/end whinge

Hello,

I am no software developer but my guess would be that Orbx Central requires that its default

locations are to folders that must exist on all customers' computers.

Software is logic and I could see that unless the target folder exists, an error message would be

generated by it looking for something that was not there.

Windows default folders would therefore be the only choice, which really leaves only folders on the C drive.

I could see that a potential solution might be to require the customer to set their backup folder location if the

backup option is ticked, before downloading a product, rather than for the default backup folder to be used

unless the customer changes it.

Perhaps we can ask the developers if that would be possible to implement?

@Mitchell Williamson @Josh Koz @Luke Gorman

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I am no software developer but my guess would be that Orbx Central requires that its default

locations are to folders that must exist on all customers' computers.

Software is logic and I could see that unless the target folder exists, an error message would be

generated by it looking for something that was not there.

Windows default folders would therefore be the only choice, which really leaves only folders on the C drive.

I could see that a potential solution might be to require the customer to set their backup folder location if the

backup option is ticked, before downloading a product, rather than for the default backup folder to be used

unless the customer changes it.

Perhaps we can ask the developers if that would be possible to implement?

@Mitchell Williamson @Josh Koz @Luke Gorman

I would have thought that Central must be aware of the various sim locations on the user's PC from the registry, as it recognises the existence of a particular sim on that PC. If any of the sims are found to be not on the C: drive, then the sim drive could be chosen as the default. I would imagine quite a lot of people might have a relatively small SSD for their C: drive with larger SSDs or HDs for their sims/data etc. Dumping potentially large and possibly un-monitored files/folders onto a C: drive could cause all sorts of problems if it fills it up unobserved.

31 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

I would have thought that Central must be aware of the various sim locations on the user's PC from the registry, as it recognises the existence of a particular sim on that PC. If any of the sims are found to be not on the C: drive, then the sim drive could be chosen as the default. I would imagine quite a lot of people might have a relatively small SSD for their C: drive with larger SSDs or HDs for their sims/data etc. Dumping potentially large and possibly un-monitored files/folders onto a C: drive could cause all sorts of problems if it fills it up unobserved.

That was the meaning of my warning.
You said well buddy.:)

1 hour ago, andy1252 said:

Hello,

I think you misunderstood or missed my suggestion.

You suggestion would only move the "default" location to somewhere else, which would simply

"Dump potentially large and possibly un-monitored files/folders onto another drive that could cause all sorts of problems if it fills it up unobserved."

A simple message shown if the backups box is ticked stating that the location for the backups can be changed would allow the customer to then place them wherever

they choose and would therefore not be able to go unobserved.

51 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I think you misunderstood or missed my suggestion.

You suggestion would only move the "default" location to somewhere else, which would simply

"Dump potentially large and possibly un-monitored files/folders onto another drive that could cause all sorts of problems if it fills it up unobserved."

A simple message shown if the backups box is ticked stating that the location for the backups can be changed would allow the customer to then place them wherever

they choose and would therefore not be able to go unobserved.

Nick, I totally agree that a decision should be required from the user rather than any form of default being imposed. My point about the C: drive vs the Sim drive was that if the C: drive gets filled up if could potentially cause far greater problems than just running out of space on your sim drive.

Join me in the anniversary Woodstock chant - "no defaults! no defaults! no defaults"

Hello,

the default is not imposed, except on a customer who does not see that there is an alternative, for the reason that

I wrote above.

There has to be a default or the software does not work.

That's why I think that the developers should add the banner message when the backup box is ticked rather

than leave it to the customer to spot that there is an option.

An example of why that is the better idea is the incessant support requests from customers who do not see that there

is an option to move the installation, now called "Downloader" onto a drive with enough space for it to run.

A banner message when the installation starts, to point out the option to move the default location off the often very

small C drive, would obviate all these support requests.

The banner would only display if the default has remained unchanged and if the customer has a C drive that is large enough,

then that could be used in any case.

This way, although there is a default, the customer is presented with the option to choose an alternative before it is too late to do so.

Archived