Does the speed of the disc drive library on matter?

NeilG

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Hi guys,

Another question: I've tried again to install all using the new Central installer and all is going well. As regards the library, does it matter what the speed of the HDD that I'm putting the library on matter? Does it slow things down if I put it on a HDD rather than a SSD, or if it doesn't matter I have an external drive that would save a great deal of space if I could put it on there?

Thanks all.

Neil.

Operating system:  Win 10

Simulator:  P3Dv4

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

5 hours ago, NeilG said:

Hi guys,

Another question: I've tried again to install all using the new Central installer and all is going well. As regards the library, does it matter what the speed of the HDD that I'm putting the library on matter? Does it slow things down if I put it on a HDD rather than a SSD, or if it doesn't matter I have an external drive that would save a great deal of space if I could put it on there?

Thanks all.

Neil.

Operating system:  Win 10

Simulator:  P3Dv4

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

I too would like to know the answer to this as well.

I migrated everything to an HDD but I notice that the initial loading of P3Dv4.5 takes a lot longer to get to the GUI screen than when it was on my SSD in the P3D folder. Once P3D opens to the GUI and I launch a scenario the loading is much the same.

If it would be better on the SSD I will go through the trouble of migrating from HDD to SSD.

Regards,

Dane

3 minutes ago, Dane said:

I too would like to know the answer to this as well.

I migrated everything to an HDD but I notice that the initial loading of P3Dv4.5 takes a lot longer to get to the GUI screen than when it was on my SSD in the P3D folder. Once P3D opens to the GUI and I launch a scenario the loading is much the same.

If it would be better on the SSD I will go through the trouble of migrating from HDD to SSD.

Regards,

Dane

Dane,  It seems you've answered your own question.  Of course the SSD loads the sim faster than the HDD.

7 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Dane,  It seems you've answered your own question.  Of course the SSD loads the sim faster than the HDD.

Thank you Stewart - I just wasn't totally sure of that - now I know.

Dane

Thanks for answering guys. My question pertained to performance in the sim really.. I don’t really see why it should. I run P3Dv4 off an SSD and my librariy is on an HDD, but my interpretation of what is happening is that files are collected up and buffered before they are in the sim? 

From previous post I have read here it seems like once it is loaded into the sim there is not much of a difference. Of course the SSD is faster getting it into the sim but once in, I'm hearing not that much different. If I am off base with this information then I stand corrected.

T

20 hours ago, Cyclone1 said:

From previous post I have read here it seems like once it is loaded into the sim there is not much of a difference. Of course the SSD is faster getting it into the sim but once in, I'm hearing not that much different. If I am off base with this information then I stand corrected.

That is my impression as well. Could a developer confirm that please?

This is some info I posted in an earlier thread. The only thing I'd add is to say that all of the external drives were mounted in a USB3 docking station. All mileage is, of course,  variable.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my admittedly-unscientific look at load times and in-game performance with varying drive configurations. These times are the
average of three executions for each scenario. The only add-on is a complete set of ORBX scenery. I saw NO DIFFERENCE in in-game performance no matter which drive was being used.

My bottom-line? You can run FSX/P3D from any drive you chose and the only penalty is going to be the initial load time. But, you may already know that.........

Internal SSD                 Reference
External SSD               + 54 seconds
Internal HDD -  7200 RPM   +112 seconds
External HDD - 10000 RPM   +157 seconds
External HDD -  7200 RPM   +201 seconds
External HDD -  5400 RPM   +236 seconds 

Archived