Migrating to Library

G'day everyone.

I just downloaded and installed Central v4.  The installation went well and all my products are there (I uninstalled v3 as recommended).  I have not read through all the documentation so please excuse me if this has been asked before.  I assume the "Migrate to Library" option is moving previously installed products to "library" folder created during the installation and to have central create and/or edit the ".xml" to create the link to this folder outside of the sim root folder.  If this is correct, why doesn't the option "Migrate to Library" exist for FTX Global Base?.  Does this product need to remain in the sim root folder? 

Thanks in advance for the guidance.  

Operating system:  W10

Simulator:  P3D V4.5

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

Hello!

Adding to the question above, what should I do with files in ORBX root folder in sim? Can I safely remove everything what is inside (some areas did not migrate, like England, which remains in the directory eating up disk space)?

Best regards

Marek Mysior

Adding another question to this about libraries.  I want to put the library in an already existsing folder which has other sceneries in it already, and it will not allow me to do so, telling me the location isn't empty.  I want my Orbx stuff to be put in with the rest of my files, not in its own separate folder and it looks like no one thought of this situation?  ( ok read the guide, which would be much better if it was linked to in the very begining of the install however I could have missed it, as i'm still on my first cup of coffee)  Upon reading the guide Central is completely useless for me unfortunately.

Hello,

the question was asked long ago but the answer was that it was not going to happen that way.

I suspect though that if you cancel the attempt and then temporarily move all the files out of

your chosen folder, it will allow you to use that folder as a library.

However, the files will be placed into a P3Dv4 folder and I am led to believe that it will not let

you put the files inside the P3D root folder.

HI nick, you answered  while i am in mid edit.  I'm on XP and have already determined that due to the hard requirements and in ability to tell central where my scenery is (because I have renamed my scenery to the gateway standard as i suggested to you all ages back) that central will be completely useless for me unfortunately. 

13 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

I rather think that with any utility, if you install files and then rename them, it will no longer work.

Not having a way to tell the utility where something is when its installed already is an oversight, All my other utilites allow me to tell them where I have installed things.  I understand about having all the orbx stuff in one folder for the library now that i've had my coffee at least. 

Like I said, it looks great and hopefully you will consider allowing the flexibilty of having things re named at some point

23 minutes ago, Beldwick said:

What about my question regarding ORBX folder in Prepar3d root folder?
Can I safely remove everything what is inside?
Should I worry about missing migration option for Base package?

Regards

MM

Hello,

if an area did not migrate and you remove its files, will it then not work?

8 minutes ago, Admiralty013 said:

Not having a way to tell the utility where something is when its installed already is an oversight

I think that the utility tells that something is installed by looking for its files.

Logically, it would need to see those file folders in order to be able to verify or update them.

Renamed folders are effectively invisible to the utility.

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

if an area did not migrate and you remove its files, will it then not work?

This is exactly my question. Should I try it?

I installed ORBX Central and migrated all my products (FTX England is finishing ATM). What is left is this (in \Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\ORBX):image.png.bc84e25432476a5d387d18b53a2aa722.png:

My question is, can I safely delete all those?

Regards
MM

Thanks, my answer would be that if the files have been migrated to another folder,

then the copies of them in the ORBX folder can indeed be deleted because Orbx Central

will no longer be seeing them.

However, if a product did not migrate and you delete the whole ORBX folder, that product

will be lost.

Just now, Nick Cooper said:

Thanks, my answer would be that if the files have been migrated to another folder,

then the copies of them in the ORBX folder can indeed be deleted because Orbx Central

will no longer be seeing them.

However, if a product did not migrate and you delete the whole ORBX folder, that product

will be lost.

Thank You very much! I will make backup of those files somewhere just in case, but I will try to delete this folder. 

What about ORBX Base? As I understand, this one is installed in P3D root folder, am I right? That is why I do not have to do anything with it transiting from FTX Central to ORBX Central?

Regards

MM

20 minutes ago, Beldwick said:

Thank You very much! I will make backup of those files somewhere just in case, but I will try to delete this folder. 

What about ORBX Base? As I understand, this one is installed in P3D root folder, am I right? That is why I do not have to do anything with it transiting from FTX Central to ORBX Central?

Regards

MM

Manual says: Unfortunately, due to technical limitations, Orbx Global Base Pack can’t be migrated into a library.

I want to personally thank everyone who hijacked the thread I started so that my simple question could not be answered.  To those that had your "added" question answered, thank you for not having the simple courtesy of re-directing the developer back to the original topic. 

EDIT-Bills511, I just reread your post, thank you, and none of the previous sarcasm applies to you 

Quote: Manual says: Unfortunately, due to technical limitations, Orbx Global Base Pack can’t be migrated into a library.

2 hours ago, joe_fackel said:

Migration doesn't work properly as after migration the whole packages will downloaded anyway.

Wondering about this too.
My understanding was migrating meant moving the scenery folders from the core sim folder to a new library location of your choosing.

8 hours ago, Bills511 said:

Manual says: Unfortunately, due to technical limitations, Orbx Global Base Pack can’t be migrated into a library.

I read the entire manual. That's bad. Just it was necessary to move in the first place, because it takes the most space. Other little things (airports, trees) are not so important.

Will this be fixed in the future? If not, then this new loses all meaning, because the rest of the reinstall is not difficult.

1 hour ago, Рон Ронов said:

Just it was necessary to move in the first place, because it takes the most space. Other little things (airports, trees) are not so important.

Will this be fixed in the future? If not, then this new loses all meaning, because the rest of the reinstall is not difficult.

Hello,

in fact Global Base takes up very little space, perhaps 3 GB or so.

This is because it replaces default textures, it does not add to them.

This is why it cannot be removed, as pointed out in the manual.

If the default textures were removed from P3D, it would not start.

However, as also pointed out, Global Base will be in the library if installed into a new version of

P3D, in which case it will indeed take up much more disk space, as the original textures will

still be in place and the entire replacement textures will be in the remote library.

So it is a case of "be careful what you wish for".

19 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

in fact Global Base takes up very little space, perhaps 3 GB or so.

This is because it replaces default textures, it does not add to them.

This is why it cannot be removed, as pointed out in the manual.

If the default textures were removed from P3D, it would not start.

However, as also pointed out, Global Base will be in the library if installed into a new version of

P3D, in which case it will indeed take up much more disk space, as the original textures will

still be in place and the entire replacement textures will be in the remote library.

So it is a case of "be careful what you wish for".

Thanks Nick.

If I understand correctly, global Base can still be moved to the library from the Prepar3D v4\ORBX directory. The structure allows you to connect it as an addon? How to move the remote outside of the library catalog Prepar3D v4\ORBX?

3 minutes ago, Рон Ронов said:

Thanks Nick.

If I understand correctly, global Base can still be moved to the library from the Prepar3D v4\ORBX directory. The structure allows you to connect it as an addon? How to move the remote outside of the library catalog v4 Prepar3D\ORBX?

Hi,

I cannot find a valid license for Orbx Global Base Pack in your account.

Furthermore, your OrbxDirect account username exactly matches the username of a member on a Russian piracy website. You are also both saying that Global Base Pack takes up the most space. I don't think that's a coincidence.

unknown.png

Your support will cease here until you can provide a valid license for Orbx Global Base Pack.

27 minutes ago, Ben McClintock said:

Your support will cease here until you can provide a valid license for Orbx Global Base Pack.

That's why I'm asking, because I'm going to buy a basic package in connection with the release of the updated Central.

5 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Please come back for advice when you have.

Thanks. I also asked about the basic package, whether it is possible to move it after installation from the folder Prepar3D. From ORBX products I have only free airports and libraries. If I don't buy the basic package, I won't be able to install it. you know tha

Just now, Рон Ронов said:

Thanks. I also asked about the basic package, whether it is possible to move it after installation from the folder Prepar3D. From ORBX products I have only free airports and libraries. If I don't buy the basic package, I won't be able to install it. you know tha

If you buy Global and are installing it fresh, then the "migrate to library" won't apply - it will install into the library by default.

In order to resume what do i have to do with my folder Orbx who was in E:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\ORBX before installation Orbx Central installation? How to migrate all this folder outside P3DV4 in the new folder F:\Documents\Orbx\Orbx Library i was asked to create during Orbx Central installation?

33 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Thanks.

If you make no changes to your installation, does Orbx Central in fact show that everything is installed and in order?

Depends on what you are looking at.  Seriously.  Here are the steps I followed and what happens.

1.  My main X-Plane 11.35 is in D:\X-Plane.  All my ORBX products were manually moved to a different "T:\0000 X-Plane Scenery" folder location using the old FTX Central method of creating a "dummy" X-Plane folder and FTX Central then having TWO locations for X-Plane.  The "dummy" folder had the separate "Custom Scenery" folder in it with all my ORBX products moved to it.  They were then symbolically linked to the main X-Plane Custom Scenery folder.  Everything worked fine, and the old FTX Central could update any ORBX products as long as I pointed it to the "dummy" folder.

2.  During the "new" Central install, it won't let me select the "T:\0000 X-Plane Scenery" folder because it says "the folder is not empty".  I tried creating a new folder then with the path "T:\ORBX Library", then when asked for a "Library Name" I said "Orbx Library"

3.  When I go back to the new Central GUI, it SHOWS all my already installed ORBX products highlighted as "Installed".  But when I look in my X-Plane "D:\X-Plane\Custom Scenery" folder there are no Symbolic Links in it for ANY of my ORBX products anymore.  And all the references for ORBX in the "scenery_packs.ini" file have been removed also.  And Central SHOWS I have a new "ORBX Library", but it shows the size as "0 B" like there is nothing in it.  The ONLY WAY I can seem to get ORBX products INTO the new "ORBX Library" folder Central creates is to start RE-DOWNLOADING everything again (which I stopped cos I really don't want to re-download 700 GB again if I don't have to) 

So, I end up with all my ORBX products still installed on my "T" drive, but nothing "symbolically linked" to my "D:\X-Plane" installation anymore.  It appears Central will not recognize any ORBX products already installed in separate folders that are already symbolic links to a main X-Plane installation elsewhere.

(Hmmm...I wonder if I just copy all of my ORBX folders from the T-drive BACK into the X-Plane Custom Scenery folder, if THEN re-installing Central will MOVE them to a "new EMPTY" folder it will create on the T-Drive.  What the heck...I'll give it a try.  What the heck else could go wrong seeing as I already uninstalled FTX Central 3 like the new Central installation told me to do)  :banghead:

I'll let you know what happens.... 

20 hours ago, Bills511 said:

Wondering about this too.
My understanding was migrating meant moving the scenery folders from the core sim folder to a new library location of your choosing.

Nice. Now i get plenty of "There are mulitple objects with the same name" erros because the ORBX AI is still in P3D folder after migration.

What a mess.

9 minutes ago, joe_fackel said:

Nice. Now i get plenty of "There are mulitple objects with the same name" erros because the ORBX AI is still in P3D folder after migration.

What a mess.

Go to where your original FTX AI folders are and move them to a temp folder. They'll be in the simobjects folder. There should be 170 folders. Folder names start with FTX.

Hello joe_fackel,

you can easily delete them by either looking at the block that are all together

and selecting them or searching for FTX in the airplanes folder and deleting

all the results.

I would agree that is is an oversight but hardly a mess, though of course you

are perfectly entitled to hold your own opinion.

I would stress that there is no obligation to migrate anything at all, in which case

everything that you have installed carries on working as it did before you installed

Orbx Central.

The development team can be seen to be working very hard to both answer

the questions raised and where necessary, put the fixes into place as fast as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived