Translucent buildings, is this caused by theTrue Earth South update?

SMB4

492702392_Cessna_172XP-2019-08-0314_31_14.thumb.png.99ef10dec2454fcc8070a822f1e89296.pngI have just loaded the true earth south update and tried it out in London, I took off from EGLC London city airport which had a slight hump on the runway but now has a large hump which launches the GA aircraft . In the city some scenery is ok eg tower bridge and London eye but a lot of scenery does not appear until the plane is virtually on top and just about passing it. I also noticed the issue with Westminster bridge not reaching the shore has not been fixed and no traffic flows over tower bridge or Blackwall crossing. I also loaded the libraries update .

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely, there is transparent buildings in London that don't appear until your almost above them... And yes, after the last update there is a huge bump in the runway at EGLC. There is a thread about this flaw, but no answer from Tony yet. 

4 hours ago, stavka said:

yes, in my installation the same, transparente buildings and the big bump that not exist before on runway 27 @ EGLC.

If you are talking about a bump in the runway of the default EGLC then I attach a fixed version for you. I can't help regarding transparent buildings but you could attach your scenery_packs.ini for review as it may well be a scenery layering error. Just unzip the fie and place t in your Custom Scenery folder.

Airport-EGLC.zip

I have also got the problem with buildings which I never had before. I've also got tower bridge replaced by a building???? very curious. I've resorted my .ini file but no joy. I've attached for a second opinion, it went all over the place after 11.35 update.

Baffled of Evesham

scenery_packs.ini

32 minutes ago, pks1414 said:

Hi Nick, that's what is baffling me, London Landmarks is above the TEGB entries ???

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul. I am looking at your .ini to see if I can assist, but don't see any reason for your anomalies.

I would however suggest the following, although it will not remedy your London problem.

As you have TEGB Central you do not need the Barton EGCB Overlay. Either deactivate or delete it.

I would also lower all the landmarks files from their current position except for London. Put them below your last TEGB entry of TEGB North_Orthos. Try London Landmarks above Global Airports for a test.

The more that can be removed from above the TEGB entries the less interference is likely.

I have v11.35r1 and all the TEGB addons and don't have the anomalies you refer to, so I would suggest it was not the TEGB South update nor the XP v11.35r1 that is causing the issue. I also suggest you maybe Verify the TEGB files to make sure that all is there. The Tower bridge building anomaly was definitely a London Landmarks placement issue but as you point out and as I can see, the file is above TEGB.

21 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

I suppose another possibility is that although the folder is there, the actual London Landmark files might not be?

I see that X Plane 11 is quite capable of adding empty folders to the scenery_packs.ini file.

Good point sir. I must admit though I have not experienced XP adding empty files, but I do think it is worth checking  the contents of the London Landmarks folder. The XP log would indicate if any files/contents were missing though I would have thought. This problem doesn't seem widespread but I am just going to check my London city views now!

I`m having exactly the same issues as SMB4. I have made a fresh installation of Xplane 11.35r1 with validated installs of TrueEarth North, central and South. The new install has no plugins or addons running. Landmarks – London is above the TruEarth entries.

scenery_packs.ini

On 8/6/2019 at 11:17 PM, sol404 said:

I have the same issue with the transparent buildings thing

Yes, me too - buildings slowly moving from transparent to full body just before I fly over them. Also, since the new EGLC from OrbX, I now get quite severe stuttering, especially after landing at EGLC in an easterly direction and when turning 180 deg. at the end of the runway to taxi back to the apron. It can take a long time to instigate that turn due to long stuttering times during the turn. Frame rates with clear skies are about 16 to 20 fps in and around EGLC. I have everything maxed out on the graphics settings apart from the reflections slider which is set to minimum and AI traffic set to just 4 aircraft,

Here are my specs:

Desktop PC with ....

Intel i9-7920X 12 x 2.90GHz
GeForce RTX2080Ti 11Gb
32Gb RAM DDR4 3000Mz
1Tb SSD M.2 PCle
3Tb HDD
USB 3.1
WiFi
HDMI 2.0
4K resolution
Windows 10

Attached is my .ini file.

scenery_packs.ini

The mystery deepens, I still have a block of flats rather than tower bridge? I've checked the London Landmarks folder and it is there, now I've noticed that the Tower of London Appears only if you get close and the BA Wheel has gone altogether??

I only went away for two weeks and everything has gone pearshaped I am completely baffled by this

On 8/3/2019 at 2:28 PM, SMB4 said:

I have just loaded the true earth south update and tried it out in London, I took off from EGLC London city airport which had a slight hump on the runway but now has a large hump which launches the GA aircraft . In the city some scenery is ok eg tower bridge and London eye but a lot of scenery does not appear until the plane is virtually on top and just about passing it. I also noticed the issue with Westminster bridge not reaching the shore has not been fixed and no traffic flows over tower bridge or Blackwall crossing. I also loaded the libraries update .

I have the same issue with the transparent buildings thing

cheers

Karoly

Quite a mystery this transparent buildings problem ! I don't have it and all my stuff is right up to date i.e. XP v35r1 and TEGB South. I don't have Orbx EGLC which i completely doubt has any bearing on the anomaly.

The block of flats where Tower bridge is supposed to sit is a bit unique at present to @pks1414 but the transparent buildings is reported now by a few people.

I am wondering if it is a LOD issue considering these transparent buildings appear correctly as you get nearer. That is the type of thing that these LOD adjustment tools do like AutoLod,  3jFPS,  and parts of VM-twick. Do any of you use any of these LOD tools?

Another LOD control is within the XP Weather settings under the "Visibility" slider option, and another is also in UWXP "Horizon" settings.

If any of you are using any of these tools you may wish to not use them for test purposes to see if it resolves the issue.

The final option would be, again only for test purposes, is to disable all but TEGB South addons and see if that does anything.

On further examination of this what I would call 'Tardis' scenery over London, it seems to be the same buildings appearing and disappearing each time. I flew out from EGLC and again certain buildings would slowly materialise on approach and again, after passing over them and flying on for a few more miles in the same direction, turning 180 deg. and flying back over them, again the same slow materialisation of those same buildings would occur.

Oh by the way, I have both Tower Bridge and the Millennium Wheel showing no problem there. I DON'T have the Steam version, but the full paid up Laminar Research of X-Plane 11.35 (latest version) which I downloaded direct from their website. Whether that has anything to do with your missing Tower Bridge or not, I don't know.

Stuttering problems now mostly solved by reducing the texture slider down a couple of notches. Also gained about 1 or 2 fps as well, but it does mean that the 'HSBC' logo on their building at Canary Wharf is now not really legible!

Didn't solve the 'Tardis' building scenery problem though, but I wouldn't have expected that it would have done!

London - Seattle Performance Comparison Test.

Using the same settings for both, ie. all graphics maxed out (texture slider increased back up to maximum (no compression)) but reflections slider set to minimum. AA down one notch from maximum. Weather set to clear skies. Four AI aircraft set.

LONDON - Flying around the centre of the city, I'm getting MANY main POI buildings appearing late as mentioned in various posts above AND quite severe stuttering, especially during 180 degree turns. FPS is between 16 and 21.

SEATTLE -  Flying around the centre of the city, I'm getting NO Tardis effect with any of the bulidings, ie., they are all drawn long before I reach the city centre. NO apparent stuttering at all and FPS is a lot higher than London at between 28 and 32.

I have TE Britain South and TE Washington.

Partial success. I did a file validation on steam and everything is back, I can only conclude that when the original 11.35 update had problems it caused the missing objects. still got the issue with transparent buildings though

1 hour ago, pks1414 said:

Tried clearing out preferences to see if that solved the problem, sadly not. What I cannot understand is why only some of the buildings have the transparent issue??

I reckon that there are at least 15 to 20% of central London buildings suffering from this very slow and late drawing realisation (what I call the Tardis effect)!

I offer my observations, purely as a data point to help try to pinpoint the issue. I am running:

-XP 11.35 steam edition

-Default EGLC

-TEGB South, NOT updated to latest (since I don't need the mesh correction for EGLC yet)

-3jfps enabled and running

My London scenery looks to be all present and correct with this configuration - no rogue buildings on Tower Bridge and no transparent landmarks when viewed from a distance.

1 hour ago, Vostflyer said:

I offer my observations, purely as a data point to help try to pinpoint the issue. I am running:

-XP 11.35 steam edition

-Default EGLC

-TEGB South, NOT updated to latest (since I don't need the mesh correction for EGLC yet)

-3jfps enabled and running

My London scenery looks to be all present and correct with this configuration - no rogue buildings on Tower Bridge and no transparent landmarks when viewed from a distance.

Yes, I reckon the problem lies with possibly the latest update to TE Great Britain South AND/OR the new OrbX enhanced EGLC airport. I’m going to uninstall EGLC and then check if the late drawing of buildings problem is still there.

54 minutes ago, orbmoke said:

Yes, I reckon the problem lies with possibly the latest update to TE Great Britain South AND/OR the new OrbX enhanced EGLC airport. I’m going to uninstall EGLC and then check if the late drawing of buildings problem is still there.

I thought TEGB South update related to mesh update to resolve any issues prior to the release of Orbx EGLC.

I don't having ghost buildings with the latest TEGB South update. Don't have Orbx EGLC, don't use a FPS/LOD programmeslike 3jFPS etc. So, @Vostflyer has posted he has XP On Steam, you and I don't, we have the direct version from Laminar. Vostflyer doesn't have the latest TEGB South, you and I do. He also uses 3jFPS, I don't do you?

Trying to find a common thread here but only you and I have the same sim version, same TEGB South version. You have Orbx EGLC, I don't. Interested to see if disabling EGLC resolves the issue. Good luck.

36 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

I thought TEGB South update related to mesh update to resolve any issues prior to the release of Orbx EGLC.

I don't having ghost buildings with the latest TEGB South update. Don't have Orbx EGLC, don't use a FPS/LOD programmeslike 3jFPS etc. So, @Vostflyer has posted he has XP On Steam, you and I don't, we have the direct version from Laminar. Vostflyer doesn't have the latest TEGB South, you and I do. He also uses 3jFPS, I don't do you?

Trying to find a common thread here but only you and I have the same sim version, same TEGB South version. You have Orbx EGLC, I don't. Interested to see if disabling EGLC resolves the issue. Good luck.

Ok, but this problem has only started occurring since the latest update of TE South. It MAY have occurred after installation of that or after the installation of EGLC. To be honest I can’t remember, so I’ll post here and let you know what happens after uninstalling EGLC. My order of installation was that I did TE South first and then EGLC second.

i’ve never even heard of ‘3jFPS’, so I reckon I probably don’t have that!

I’m just finishing off a flight from Tokyo to London Heathrow in my Dreamliner at the moment, so as soon as that’s completed I’ll try the EGLC uninstall. It’ll be interesting if the new Central software will cope with that. So far, I’ve been impressed with it!

• Nick Cooper changed the title to Translucent buildings, is this caused by theTrue Earth South update?

Thanks Nick – this is exactly what I see with a fresh install of Xplane 11.35r1 (NOT steam) with TE GB South 1.1.1 from OrbxCentral 4.0.4. No other scenery or addons or pugins installed. St Pauls Cathedral is the next building to morph into view and then Waterloo station does the same.

Ok thanks Nick and thebes. Also, this phenomenon affects the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace plus many other buildings as well. In that case, there doesn’t seem to be a reason for uninstalling EGLC. Looks like we need to wait for a fix from OrbX then.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

this would seem to be repeatable.

It does not seem to be connected to EGLC, as it occurs with or without it installed.

Here is a brief and rather poor quality video of what happens. @Tony Wroblewski

I did notice the effect you are talking about but didn't notice the ghosting. What i saw was the buildings suddenly appear and then disappear especially when flying towards EGLC as in your pic/vid. After all the investigating it looks like it is something for Orbx to rectify.

The hump at the 27 take off end of EGLC is definitely caused by something within the Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/ directory structure.  Running XP11 with TEGB disabled results in EGLC being nice and flat.

I am also suffering from the appearance of the magic now you don't see 'em., now you do buildings. I am at a loss to explain it. FWIW, my own Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - London is above global airports.

I updated both TEGB and XP11 (1135 now) at the same time so it's hard to easily work out which product is to blame. I did have a backup of the old installation until recently but got rid of it due to external disk space constraints  as everything seemed to be functioning. Then I went to London :-X

There is also a tree that has appeared between the cargo ramp and the taxiways at Gatwick. (Near to ramp 231.) I'm pretty sure it sprouted during the updates.

The EGLC zip has fixed the hump in runway for me, I do not have EGLC orbx downloaded . I still have the issue with the London buildings, they started when I upgraded true earth south and the orbx libraries .

Archived