Would a new graphics card help?

Tonyla1

Hi all,

These are the specs to my flight sim computer: Win 7 64, i7 3770K @4.2Ghz; GA-Z77X-D3H; 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz; ATI 7850 2GB; I use a single 32 inch monitor. I have AU2 and all AU airports plus other world regions airports vector ect.

I'm experiencing VAS out of memory crash after a few minutes over Gold Coast and Melbourne. I also have to keep frame rates locked at 30 to stop blurries. I realise that my hardware is a little dated by today's standards.

I think my video card may be the weak link here. Would upgrading to a 6 or 8 gig video card solve my issues? I'd appreciate people's thoughts on the matter.

Thank you

Tony

I have a "mid range" computer also. I have had to disable Gold Coast cityscene as I got the VAS chimes in FSX after about 8 mins. 

In a 32 bit program, the program is limited to 4 gb of memory. In a 64 bit program (P3Dv4?) the memory available is far greater than this. I presume you are using FSX. Thus FSX has a mere 4gb to store stuff it is working on and tends to run out of memory the more stuff it has to work on = VAS problems.

VAS is dependant on general memory for storing objects and textures (among other things). The memory on a graphics card is used to display things in the visual field (basically). So getting a better graphics card will not help with VAS problems. To explore the other side of the coin, if you were getting stutters or may be low frame rates then a better graphics card would help.

Hello,

upgrading the hardware will have no effect at all on the VAS usage

if you are using a 32 bit simulator.

I used a GTX 570 with 1280GB of RAM for years without it ever

running out before FSX did.

Can you confirm which simulator you are trying to use please?

Hi, I couldn't run Gold Coast either with my older rig, even in P3D.

My rig is pretty new now and it's not the highest one but run everything pretty smooth

With all the the technology there is no way out, upgrading is the only way.

I was for long holding to FSX but I think it's not coping anymore.

Ben

7 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

upgrading the hardware will have no effect at all on the VAS usage

if you are using a 32 bit simulator.

I used a GTX 570 with 1280GB of RAM for years without it ever

running out before FSX did.

Can you confirm which simulator you are trying to use please?

Hi Nick, yes I’m using fsx. 

Tony

Archived