Second new flight simulator topic

Airborne

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems the new fight simulator is using satellite images from their Bing Maps system. See for example EarthView here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/earth-view-map-3d/9nblggh1xnq7?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

The trailer of Flight Simulator might give the impression that all cities are in 3D, but if EarthView or similar is used only 200 locations

worldwide (probably mostly in the US) are in '3D'.

I doubt that

- there will be any seasons

- one can use the scenery without internet connection

- there will be support for 3rd party scenery  

The new simulator will be highly dependent on Bing Maps for scenery upgrades. If Microsoft decides for some reason to cancel Bing Maps,

like what they have done with Edge, the new simulator will be in dire straits.

I like very much what I see. The weather and lighting seems gorgeous, the default aircraft seem very good and it could be that there is a new

engine for flight dynamics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZgtalap7Y

But this scenery thing seems very shaky and, as a non-US user, rather incomplete to me. I would like to see scenery and airports from arbitrary,

remote locations in Africa and Asia first.

Subscription, no helicopters and no 3rd party aircraft will also be a deal breaker for me.

Seen them come, seen them go.  The problems inherent in developing a woldwide accurate flyable frame rate friendly sim that doesn't require a petabyte system to run are, I suspect, beyond the resources of even Microsoft, and while this new sim will interest some, I doubt it will seriously compete with the vast body of expertise and community that makes P3D and its ilk such amazing products for serious simmers.

39 minutes ago, John Dow said:

Seen them come, seen them go.  The problems inherent in developing a woldwide accurate flyable frame rate friendly sim that doesn't require a petabyte system to run are, I suspect, beyond the resources of even Microsoft, and while this new sim will interest some, I doubt it will seriously compete with the vast body of expertise and community that makes P3D and its ilk such amazing products for serious simmers.

You already run a  computer able to handle tens of petabytes of data without flinching :).  Google Earth/maps (my all-time favorite apps) are around 20 petabytes of data. You just zoom in and use whatever imagery is around you. I've an older rig and a crappy connection and it works for me. The petabyte issue is a non-starter.  

53 minutes ago, dominique said:

You already run a  computer able to handle tens of petabytes of data without flinching :).  Google Earth/maps (my all-time favorite apps) are around 20 petabytes of data. You just zoom in and use whatever imagery is around you. I've an older rig and a crappy connection and it works for me. The petabyte issue is a non-starter.  

The biggest issue is the variability in the source imagery.  Without massive amounts of manipulation you could not get a seamless experience flying over even small areas of the earth.

18 minutes ago, John Dow said:

The biggest issue is the variability in the source imagery.  Without massive amounts of manipulation you could not get a seamless experience flying over even small areas of the earth.

Yes but :)... 

Imagery alone is not good enough for a large part of the world, I agree. Now,  MS says it'll process the sat/aerial imagery with its AI engine to reconstitute terrains. Photogrammetry makes absolute wonders. We can imagine easily enough that it can produce much better LC maps out of coarse sat imagery, can't we ? 

Archived