Second new flight simulator topic

Airborne

4 hours ago, turbineseaplane said:

This looks AMAZING. 

Just on on the scenery side, this is what most of us have been drooling over as a concept since the very first time we saw Google earth with 3D buildings. 

Very few companies could undertake the project from this approach just because of the technological and cost requirements. I think this is super exciting news for all of flight simulation!

Even if this were to largely relegate OrbX regions to the past, I have a feeling there would still be lots of room for more detailed airports and other paid opportunities in the ecosystem. 

Microsoft is the perfect company to do another flight sim...atleast in my eyes, considering they started it! They have a ton, I mean, a TON of money and I am positive that this thing will be awesome, a release in 2020? Just WOW!!!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, patful said:

With my property taxes skyrocketing along with the insurance, I'll not spend another penny on my computer.

Property taxes going up means property value going up :). My tax is coupled into my mortgage. You can afford a few bucks.

9 minutes ago, Airborne said:

Property taxes going up means property value going up :). My tax is coupled into my mortgage. You can afford a few bucks.

I own my house, no mortgage. I'm not big on property values since I don't intend to move. If this keeps up, I'll be forced to move. I'm pretty much on a fixed income, I'd rather not spend the money unless I have to.

5 minutes ago, Airborne said:

They have a ton, I mean, a TON of money and I am positive that this thing will be awesome, a release in 2020? Just WOW!!!

The usual explanation. But in reality you have to explain to them why they should spend their money in this project. The flight sim community has a limited size. This was the reason why they shut down the ACES team. Other projects promised more revenue. But why do they return to this market? You must have a good reason. If you can string these arguments through their current money makers. They are the second largest public cloud service. That is where one of their biggest money maker is and exactly where one of their biggest competitors google invests. In cloud based games.

A little bit of competition never hurt anyone ..... just results in a more advanced product. 

It's good to see MS back from the sidelines with their 4K PC sim offering.

Just hoping Orbx will be part of this in the future.

Seems like everyone was caught totally by surprise, kinda funny. This looks to be a vfr flyers dream. Just a few thoughts - I'm betting this might be selected detailed areas, can't imagine they've resourced the whole planet like this. Also did you see the insane amount of detail around the pyramids and stadium (cars!). I remember the early screen shots everyone was drooling over when FSX came out, then ugly reality hit trying to run the thing to look like those shots. Hope this isn't the same. This will be interesting.

23 minutes ago, tdavart said:

I'm betting this might be selected detailed areas, can't imagine they've resourced the whole planet like this.

Might be more complete than we think - They do have their own mapping platform after all (and it looks like it's using it).

This is one of the many really exciting things here.  

We're finally seeing one of the few huge mapping players putting those vast resources into action in an FS product.

I think ORBX can still be useful. The terrain in the new Flight Sim is automatically or partially generated by sat. data and some AI.

We can see in the cities that trees are just shape and not a full tree with leaves and everything. But when we see elephants, the trees are placed by hands and we see grass.

Now ORBX can always make true cities with hand-placed buildings, trees and roads.

What do you think?

As I stated in the now closed thread just the fact that this new sim from MS has been revealed, will push LM & Laminar to improve their sims

Healthy competition leads to health progress

In any case our flight simming future looks good indeed

In the video, things fly by a bit fast to see just what's going on in there. I wanted some hi-res pics so grabbed some screens: taking a good look at the pictures reveal a bit about the underlying tech, and reveal some the strengths, as well as potential flaws.

AfSmxf.jpg

i2h0Rj.jpg

4INz6r.jpg

NKlmVK.jpg

8jmCRQ.jpg

XN3k8h.jpg

XPwbPR.jpg

L9WGR5.jpg

3b5IGH.jpg

VJ89KK.jpg

kkjUij.jpg

JPAgOv.jpg

YHcrWp.jpg

CRI3Sl.jpg

pcgHbZ.jpg

YEUJQE.jpg

F26PrF.jpg

YlS7ds.jpg

KcQyGy.jpg

tdqaxc.jpg

iQ58uj.jpg

5 hours ago, Nic727 said:

I think ORBX can still be useful.

Orbx & team & community are leaders, in fact!

& plus all the other dedicated flight sim developers - not going to give up A2A, Aerosoft, FSL, PMDG & et al...

2020 is not here yet - or is that 2021 as JV pointed out?

really enjoying targeted Bing/Google Ortho4XP tiles - BUT, you just gotta have the fully modelled OVERLAY data to make it anywhere near real...

the last 2 weeks - after lots of research - i must say that the VR AFS2 Orbx Innsbruck & Aerosoft Everest Extreme - in the AFS2/Rift-S VR holodeck has blown my mind...

TrueEarth XP has done the same...

also, very happy with P3D Orbx with seasons...

‘horses for courses’ - the dust will settle!

4 hours ago, craigeaglefire said:

9 hours ago, Nic727 said:

I think ORBX can still be useful. 

This scenery has ORBX written all over it. You trying to tell me that MS best scenery and airports dev team for their sim weren't notified about this. I think ORBX is more involved than we think.

Remember X-plane. Just sayin :)

I like what Jack did and did the same, 1 struck me and the other was just ok.
The detail on the first one  especially the car in the parking lot on the right

krCCt2C.png

On this one if I am right the river on the right is soso.
ShK44NV.png

@Benny

I think we are being a little bit hyper critical here, especially for a product so far from release yet. 

I spent about 20 minutes yesterday nitpicking a true earth Washington Seattle video and, no offense to any here, but there is all kinds of stuff you could pick at all day long.

It’s just sort of part and parcel with using this type of technique for the scenery.

5 hours ago, Airborne said:

This scenery has ORBX written all over it. You trying to tell me that MS best scenery and airports dev team for their sim weren't notified about this. I think ORBX is more involved than we think.

Remember X-plane. Just sayin :)

If CEO John Venema says it was a surprise to them and they weren't involved, then I believe him.

Certainly they could be involved in the future, but what's in the trailer is clearly not Orbx.

3 hours ago, turbineseaplane said:

I spent about 20 minutes yesterday nitpicking a true earth Washington Seattle video and, no offense to any here, but there is all kinds of stuff you could pick at all day long.

It’s probably worth pointing out that any TE Washington footage or screenshots so far have been produced using a beta version. I know for a fact that a significant number of imperfections will have been removed in the release version.

8 minutes ago, Mark Halliwell said:

It’s probably worth pointing out that any TE Washington footage or screenshots so far have been produced using a beta version. I know for a fact that a significant number of imperfections will have been removed in the release version.

Fair - but I guarantee there will still be places with no buildings or less accurate buildings and structures and just something flat, or "squished cars", etc, etc..  That's just how it goes with this sort of approach.  I don't hold it against Orbx, I just think it shouldn't be held against MS either.

And just being candid, the Seattle cityscape already looks better in that FS teaser video - the Space Needle in particular.

Don't get me wrong - the TE stuff is a huge step forward for both P3D & XP....  No question about that.

I remember reading a couple years ago about a company that had developed a 3D rendering system (for the Israeli Army I believe) and they were selling it. To who, I can't remember now, but what it does is render a 3D scenery from a fly over ...in about 5x real time...a full render. The video demonstrated how you could "fly" down into a stadium and virtually sit in the seats, it was that high of a resolution. Mind boggling! So looking at the still shot of the stadium here...that's what I see...this isn't an overlay(?) it's all one complete render except for the road traffic. To me, the detail is way too high for it to be an overlay. Anyone else see that article perhaps?

1 hour ago, BobT said:

I remember reading a couple years ago about a company that had developed a 3D rendering system (for the Israeli Army I believe) and they were selling it. To who, I can't remember now, but what it does is render a 3D scenery from a fly over ...in about 5x real time...a full render. The video demonstrated how you could "fly" down into a stadium and virtually sit in the seats, it was that high of a resolution. Mind boggling! So looking at the still shot of the stadium here...that's what I see...this isn't an overlay(?) it's all one complete render except for the road traffic. To me, the detail is way too high for it to be an overlay. Anyone else see that article perhaps?

Rob Ainscough posted an interesting "older" clip from Google on Avsim main thread (page 36- not sure  OrbX allows links to Avsim).

11 minutes ago, dominique said:

Rob Ainscough posted an interesting "older" clip from Google on Avsim main thread (page 36- not sure  OrbX allows links to Avsim).

It would be best to just go check it out on that site, we do not need opinions spilling over.

1 hour ago, Ridvan Celik said:

Well it does look like it is coming to Xbox One.. The page has been slightly updated. 

As per JV's post linked below the initial release will be for PC Win10 and then maybe for XBox. As I understand it, XBox ist just the new name of the former MS Game Studios which covers any MS game no matter for which platform it will be released.

6 hours ago, BobT said:

Clearly this isn't using the same autogen and textures tech we are used to, assuming of course that we are seeing in game footage and personally I feel sure at least some of this is prerendered such as the shot of the plane in the hangar.

So the question is how do you stream in and render that much detail on the fly?

Either Microsoft have some amazing new engine or people are going to be in some way disappointed.

It says captured in real time at the start of the video and the images are created by a blend of satellite data and machine learning, guess we will just have to wait and see.

4 hours ago, JJJackson said:

I swear it feels like making a deal with the devil. I have no problem signing into Google for all kinds of services but I hate creating or giving a footprint to MS. I think it goes back to the days when they wanted to control everything and all I wanted from them was the OS. However, its going to be apparent that in order to use this new sim, they are going to require the user gets in bed with them. I created a new email account just for this. However, I'm sure at some point my system will get tied to the MS app and thats sad.

Archived