Second new flight simulator topic

Airborne

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Why ugh?  The previous thread was closed.  This looks good but it's a wait and see, I like what JV said about it in the locked thread, this came out of nowhere so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Where's the locked thread Jack?

TTM

41 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Why ugh?  The previous thread was closed.  This looks good but it's a wait and see, I like what JV said about it in the locked thread, this came out of nowhere so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I agree, I signed up for the newsletter but other than that I am happy with my 2 sims and ORBX.....now come on release Washington, please with a cherry on the top.....

Just now, wain71 said:

I agree, I signed up for the newsletter but other than that I am happy with my 2 sims and ORBX.....now come on release Washington, please with a cherry on the top.....

Yes!  Two birds in the hand (XP & P3D), are better than one in the bush.  Personally I would LOVE to see Orbx literally cover the entire planet in TE.   

• Nick Cooper changed the title to Second new flight simulator topic

This looks AMAZING. 

Just on on the scenery side, this is what most of us have been drooling over as a concept since the very first time we saw Google earth with 3D buildings. 

Very few companies could undertake the project from this approach just because of the technological and cost requirements. I think this is super exciting news for all of flight simulation!

Even if this were to largely relegate OrbX regions to the past, I have a feeling there would still be lots of room for more detailed airports and other paid opportunities in the ecosystem. 

1 minute ago, Hobnobs said:

Twenty four. That's how many posts this will have before it gets locked. I think I'll start a sweepstake...

lol - I hope not!

Why can't this be a topic here?

It's pretty exciting to have MS back in the game, potentially in an all new and very big way!

I'd be surprised if there weren't room for third parties in the ecosystem at some point.

For the near future(2020 and beyond) it will be a hard time for XP and AFS2 to match the graphical quality as we see now in the trailer of Microsoft's flightsim.

I hope that Microsoft doesn't make the same error as with their past product 'MS Flight' that was more a game than a simulator...

I'll be Alpha and Beta testing this through its development. I'm happy to see where it goes, and I'll be genuine in my efforts and feedback, to improve it. Mainly because already it looks the closest to Real Life that I've seen. Wonderful eye-candy. And I like the idea of exploring new technology and ideas. This will be a great adventure in my retirement.

That said, I love P3D, and think it is awesome. I have purchased and own every ORBX product for P3D and love the way it is evolving. The pics of True Earth Washington are gobsmacking, and I'm looking forward to more areas like this. Same with the many other airports, scenery and aircraft from other companies I have purchased in my search for realism while simming. Yes, I love simming, and learning more and more about aviation, its proceedures, navigation, maintenance and all the other aspects of life around flying that you can experience with an enhanced P3D.

P3D is well established with multiple layers of sim depth, not just aircraft and scenery, but World Wide ATC communities like Vatsim, real time global weather generation, good airline traffic addons  ... etc. This level of content can't just be written and developed from scratch in a couple of years. It has taken hundreds of companies to get where P3D is today, and I love it and consume it.

And now, since v4, Lockheed Martin has been making it easier for people to get better performance in the sim, by coding to use all your cpu resources. This is a good and relevant platform that is still developing at the cutting edge of programming and moving upwards.

However, I still like to play, and this new FS looks fun. I think it will be entertainment focussed. You won't see in a hurry anything like the depth of P3D. As much as I want this to be fantastic, I won't be letting my investment in P3D go to waste either.

When Flight Sim World folded, I gather Microsoft got the Entertainment licence back, and this has been an amazing coup to keep this under wraps while the initial development was done. I love Skunkworks projects.

5 minutes ago, ozboater said:

I'll be Alpha and Beta testing this through its development. I'm happy to see where it goes, and I'll be genuine in my efforts and feedback, to improve it. Mainly because already it looks the closest to Real Life that I've seen. Wonderful eye-candy. And I like the idea of exploring new technology and ideas. This will be a great adventure in my retirement.

That said, I love P3D, and think it is awesome. I have purchased and own every ORBX product for P3D and love the way it is evolving. The pics of True Earth Washington are gobsmacking, and I'm looking forward to more areas like this. Same with the many other airports, scenery and aircraft from other companies I have purchased in my search for realism while simming. Yes, I love simming, and learning more and more about aviation, its proceedures, navigation, maintenance and all the other aspects of life around flying that you can experience with an enhanced P3D.

P3D is well established with multiple layers of sim depth, not just aircraft and scenery, but World Wide ATC communities like Vatsim, real time global weather generation, good airline traffic addons  ... etc. This level of content can't just be written and developed from scratch in a couple of years. It has taken hundreds of companies to get where P3D is today, and I love it and consume it.

And now, since v4, Lockheed Martin has been making it easier for people to get better performance in the sim, by coding to use all your cpu resources. This is a good and relevant platform that is still developing at the cutting edge of programming and moving upwards.

However, I still like to play, and this new FS looks fun. I think it will be entertainment focussed. You won't see in a hurry anything like the depth of P3D. As much as I want this to be fantastic, I won't be letting my investment in P3D go to waste either.

When Flight Sim World folded, I gather Microsoft got the Entertainment licence back, and this has been an amazing coup to keep this under wraps while the initial development was done. I love Skunkworks projects.

Well written!  

2 minutes ago, ozboater said:

@Jack Sawyer

You've convinced me to change my sig to something more honest and accurate, like yours. Hope it shows up soon.

Thank you kind sir, that's a quote from Pink Floyd's Learning To Fly but it describes my situation perfectly because I am quite literally grounded medically but am very determined to fly.  They let me make a helicopter flight last summer and it was awesome, on my bucket list.

Well the new one is much closer to reality than all the hardware BS I had before  :)

When I visit my brother in WA, I'm going to have a flight in one of the new electric planes at Jandakot. I gather they have a 40 min endurance. Also bucket list.

41 minutes ago, turbineseaplane said:

Nobody is excited here?

I don't get it - this is awesome news

With my property taxes skyrocketing along with the insurance, I'll not spend another penny on my computer.

1 hour ago, turbineseaplane said:

Nobody is excited here?

I don't get it - this is awesome news

Good point :lol:  ! 

You know... The simmer community is full of older people (like me) who have seen them all. All  or almost all the FS iterations, Fly! 1and 2, Flight Unlimited 1,2 3, Sierra Pro (I missed that one). Some even flew some versions of X-Plane  :o or, worse, MSFlight :blink:. We have had our share of good  and bad surprises, excitement and shouting matches at Avsim. I shouldn't say that we are blasé. But something like that. We wait to see . 

And we never, ever believe a trailer anymore :P.

4 minutes ago, dominique said:

Good point :lol:  ! 

You know... The simmer community is full of older people (like me) who have seen them all. All  or almost all the FS iterations, Fly! 1and 2, Flight Unlimited 1,2 3, Sierra Pro (I missed that one). Some even flew some versions of X-Plane  :o or, worse, MSFlight :blink:. We have had our share of good and and bad surprises, excitement and shouting matches at Avsim. I shouldn't say that we are blasé. But something like that. We wait to see . 

And we never, ever believe a trailer anymore :P.

Right there with you on age my friend - Played them all, all the way back to mid-late 80's.

I just prefer to be excited and optimistic.

Microsoft has the budget and resources to do things with scenery, globally, that smaller players (like OrbX and many others) simply will never be able to do.

This is a big win for all of us potentially, even OrbX who could instead refocus - hyper focus - on super detailed airport work where I think they've always been really awesome.

As JV said himself, the ortho costs in many regions are just astronomical.  It's really best for a massive company like MS to use their vast resources to tackle that part of things and let smaller players build off it.

Well, IDK about this MSFT one.  Not enough information, and I already have a nice flight sim, sceneries, and planes to fly and have fun with.  So, I'm not really excited about it, just maybe a bit interested to see what happens with it.

I'm more interested in The Skypark that Orbx is gonna have this summer.  \o/

6 minutes ago, turbineseaplane said:

Everything we are enjoying here traces it roots back to MSFS.

We should definitely be excited about a brand new ground up platform with things like 4k/HDR and built for modern hardware as the base starting points.

Had to be done already a couple of years ago....64bit and capable Graphic Cards was already there.... why a so late reaction by the current platforms...

3 minutes ago, turbineseaplane said:

Some keep a younger mind than others, I suppose :)

Not that I am not interested by the new sim concept. I frequently fly in regions that are clearly of no interest to OrbX, in Asia or the Caribbean for instance. I would very much welcome some decent regional sceneries there. Or Italy and Greece. OpenLC EU does a good job but OrbX knows how to do better. 

But be  excited ?   We don't know anything except for a trailer which  could be CGI for all I know. 

Well, right at this time we are talking about a trailer, from a simulator that is more than a year away from release. But I think the terrain and so on have a simple explanation. Look at bing.

They have everything as well as Google with Google Earth and Maps so they have the images in their company. And I presume they added on top a small flight simulator. In theory they could do everything with it and I am quite certain if you ask them right now the sky is the limit. But at this time they don't have to finance this project. I would expect they got their entertainment licence back from Dovetail so they can use their old name. First of all for them its a first step to add a new/old licence into their X-Box projects if it is or becomes anything more has to be seen. We are about one year from the promised release so I don't think that they have real weather in place right nowand they added for the video a lot of elements. Everyone would do it. They now simply continue their project and wait for rections. I presume for them it is only a beefed up bing map  explorer. They might have some further wishes but that has to be seen. It isn't really a question for them how to do it, but how do you finance it.

This crowd is something else..

ok..to each our own.

I'm really excited about this.  

I think it's a big big deal to have the original back in the game here.

Whatever they release, it's a great thing, as this space could use some competition and envelope pushing at this point.

This fellow who had worked in advertising/marketing died and, upon
    entering heaven, met St. Peter.  St. Peter said, "In the interest
    of fairness, we want to give you the option to stay here in heaven,
    or to go to hell.  You can look around here for a few minutes, then
    go visit hell for a while before you decide.  The catch is that your
    decision is final -- no changing your mind."

So, the fellow started walking around heaven;  what he saw, he thought
    to be a bit boring.  People were playing horseshoes, bridge, drinking
    tea.  It wasn't bad, but it did look kind of slow.  He mentioned this
    to St. Peter, and asked for his visit to hell before his decision.

Immediately, he found himself standing in front of two huge doors
    imprinted with "HELL".  Expecting the handle to be hot, he reached
    gingerly for it.  Surprisingly, the handle was cool to the touch.
    Proceeding through the doors, he found a flurry of activity.  People
    were standing around eating, drinking, dancing -- in general having
    a great time.  The marketing fellow thought that this looked like
    much more fun than heaven, so he promptly returned to St. Peter and
    told him that he had chosen hell.

Once again, he found himself in front of the huge doors.  Reaching
    to open the door, he scorched his hand on the blisteringly hot
    handle.  After entering, he was faced with a wall of flame, and he
    could hear horrendous screaming and moaning.  He stood there,
    incredulous.  The devil walked up and asked if there was some 
    problem.  "Yes", the fellow replied, "I was just down here ten minutes
    ago, and it wasn't hot, and people were partying and having a great
    time!  What happened?"

"Well," the devil replied, "that was a demo!!"

42 minutes ago, turbineseaplane said:

.  I think it's a big big deal to have the original back in the game here.

Honestly I'd rather have an aerospace company like LM backing up my sim as a side business  than a Microsoft that will throw it away like a used tissue if it doesn't do as well as Halo X .  They did it once, they'd do it again.

5 minutes ago, dominique said:

Honestly I'd rather have an aerospace company like LM backing up my sim as a side business  than a Microsoft that will throw it away like a used tissue if it does do as well as Halo X .  They did it once, they'd do it again.

Luckily for you I assume that P3D isn’t going anywhere

11 minutes ago, turbineseaplane said:

Luckily for you I assume that P3D isn’t going anywhere

A fligthsim backed up by a defence contractor, what can go wrong ? 

More seriously,  will MS allow P3Dv5 (if there is such a thing) to be open to the general public ? I doubt in anycase that they tolerate that it keeps its "academic" licence. We'll see.

17 minutes ago, dominique said:

More seriously,  will MS allow P3Dv5 (if there is such a thing) to be open to the general public ? I doubt in anycase that they tolerate that it keeps its "academic" licence. We'll see.

Shenanigans from Microsoft is my only real worry, yeah.

Seriously excited at the promise of what Microsoft has teased at from their trailer. It may turn out to be over nothing but pretty graphics, but I'm going to err on the side of hype on this for the time being.

It looks miles ahead of anything we currently have in any sim - incredible-looking footage of skies, weather, terrain mesh rendering, native photo scenery, etc. 
Microsoft will have done their research on how to muscle in on LM, LR and IPACS.
We saw how Flight flopped, so why would they spend any time and effort on something that is going to replicate the same end result? I feel this is going to be a much more serious attempt aimed also at the more serious home simmer, like most of us here, especially with the word 'simulator' put back in the title.

P3D and XP aren't going to go anywhere immediately as it's going to take time for the catalogue of MFS add-ons / mods to develop. My Orbx scenery, especially as GA airfields are unlikely to be anywhere near the top of the development list, is going to keep bringing me back to P3D, even if MFS overtakes what we currently have.

Looking forward to seeing what details emerge. 
In the meantime, I'm off discovering lakes and mines in Western Australia.

8 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Seriously excited at the promise of what Microsoft has teased at from their trailer. It may turn out to be over nothing but pretty graphics, but I'm going to err on the side of hype on this for the time being.
In the meantime, I'm off discovering lakes and mines in Western Australia.

What a fine post. Thank you.

Kind regards, Michael

6 minutes ago, F737NG said:

P3D and XP aren't going to go anywhere immediately as it's going to take time for the catalogue of MFS add-ons / mods to develop. My Orbx scenery, especially as GA airfields are unlikely to be anywhere near the top of the development list, is going to keep bringing me back to P3D, even if MFS overtakes what we currently have.

Well, I doubt that it is really so much based on MFS but on their MAPS and cloud recources, together with their AI technologies. Their real strength is nowadays in these areas and in fact it would be a quite impressive demo of their "new" 3D interface for cloud gaming. This would be a very good explanation for this project.

But it would also bring several restrictions with it. Like you can only fly while you are online. But right at this time we can only speculate.

But there MFS knowledge is probably less important. I don't think that they did so many things with their engine after MS Flight. And you must convert the old code to 64 bit and add a new rendering engine. I think the flight simulation core is rather small compared to the other components and they added some of these elements to a new core.

Archived