Second new flight simulator topic

Airborne

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exceptional graphics.

But I am a bit sceptical. It seems the AI is used to make the satelite images three-dimensional.

If left to its own devices, AI is stupid. It has to be trained. By a human. My guess is that the images

we see in the demo needed quite a number of human hours to become what they are. If the AI ever

will get good enough remains to be seen.

What also remains to be seen is the flight dynamics, will we get an XPlane- or the same old 

parameter-based model?  And will we get wind at ground level?

39 minutes ago, Kilstorm said:

I swear it feels like making a deal with the devil. I have no problem signing into Google for all kinds of services but I hate creating or giving a footprint to MS. I think it goes back to the days when they wanted to control everything and all I wanted from them was the OS. However, its going to be apparent that in order to use this new sim, they are going to require the user gets in bed with them. I created a new email account just for this. However, I'm sure at some point my system will get tied to the MS app and thats sad.

I get that and agree, but didn't that already happen the moment we installed windows, facebook and a myriad of others? I find google just as ominous as MS. 

This i s truly incredible if MS can pull this off  as shown in their  promo video.  I do hope it is true but  raises some questions.

1. How taxing will this be on our computer and what will be the hard drive/memory requirements?

2. Will third party add-ons in addition to aircraft be allowed to work with the new MS flightsim or will everything be controlled by MS's own ecosystem?

3. How much control will we  have over the MS flightsim or will this be more like  entertainment software rather than a true flying experience?

It is still way too early to know if this could be truly revolutionary or a deal breaker.

Let’s keep in mind that other than XP and AF, of which OrbX support is mostly newish, our entire flight simulation experiences over all time all started and continued with the Microsoft flight simulator base product. 

If they do anything close to what they had done in the past before the Flight product, but in a next generation way, this will be a huge win for everybody moving forward. 

Let’s give them some rope to work with here and be optimistic. Microsoft is a vastly different company right now then the one that canceled flight simulator and the one that pushed out the Flight product.

Like others, I signed up as a Beta Tester...we'll see what happens. When I first saw this, I was rather excited about MS getting back into FS. But, on second thought, because of the XBox connection, I am betting it will turn out to be a game rather than a solid simulation. Anyone want to take some bets on this....:-)

Sherm

3 minutes ago, shermank said:

I am betting it will turn out to be a game rather than a solid simulation. Anyone want to take some bets on this....:-)

Game? I'm thinking more enjoying the sights and sounds while flying around, screenshot heaven. Study level like A2A and PMDG? Doubtful, at least initially.

7 minutes ago, shermank said:

Like others, I signed up as a Beta Tester...we'll see what happens. When I first saw this, I was rather excited about MS getting back into FS. But, on second thought, because of the XBox connection, I am betting it will turn out to be a game rather than a solid simulation. Anyone want to take some bets on this....:-)

Sherm

Maybe but I am wondering whether this will be only available on project scarlet.

Looks well beyond anything a current console could render.

I think they were pretty deliberate in reviving the flight simulator name honestly.

So much of what made flight simulator a very detailed platform over the years was due to third parties, so as long as that is something that is still accessible and the platform extensible, I think the future could be very very bright.

Ok that was fun but it's nothing very clear and precise... at all. Just a little film that can have been made by a very big producer.
Enve Microsoft can't make the whole world like we have seen is this video, not now

For now we have what we have and most of us are very happy with that.

The rest is just speculation.

15 hours ago, turbineseaplane said:

I think they were pretty deliberate in reviving the flight simulator name honestly.

That's my gut feeling as well. I feel like they have seen what the competition is doing and where each of them is lacking and have used their resources and funding to basically blow them out of the water. They have used what they have learned from Flight and realized in order to make it work it cant be a game only. My thoughts for what they see they need to do to have a long run at it is appeal to the hardcore simmer by making a sim that we would use, create missions and multiplayer for the gamers as we see stuff in the video that reflects what we've seen before in missions like the detail grasses and animals.

The fact that Orbx did not see this coming yet they are saying that they are working with the community tells me that they feel they have developed in-house what they believe is a good go at scenery and I would agree with that judging from the scenery. Not to mention how they shut some major developers out towards the end of Flight might of been not at the right time to open up about it prior to this announcement.

Based off of what is speculation on how the auto gen is being generated, I dont see seasons being part of the sim but then again, look at XP and how they dont have seasons either yet a strong and growing user base. The biggest checkbox items they need to reveal that will make this a huge success that we dont know yet are:
1) Frames per second

2) Will 3rd party addons somehow be allowed in a way that addon developers will want to be part of

3) VR support

Because out of the box it looks like they are giving us a great default sandbox to start off with and what is not included can be taken care of by 3rd party developers. I really hope they take on the Steam/XP way of doing updates as opposed to how LM has been forced to do their best with the old ESP code. Additionally I hope everything goes through one store front for installs and purchases because if they also go after the gamers and more general public, 3rd party developers will have way more exposure to the market place for a cut in commission and with each new update or fix, all the addons will have to work making the end user very happy.   

Discussing this Microsoft Flight Simulation on another forum I am on one member had written that there will be about  2 petabytes of geographical data being used (what that actually works out as in layman's terms is beyond me):wacko:!  

One thing that I do suspect is that this simulation will be run by Microsoft which will only be accessible through X Box game Pass PC Games.  Presently they have an offer on for those with PC's: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/xbox-game-pass-for-pc-price-games,news-30301.html

However, with this new flight simulation I suspect very strongly that any-one wishing to use it will have to pay a monthly fee to Microsoft and fly on their servers.  If this is going to be the case then where does that leave 3rd party developers?  Would they have access to Microsoft coding in order to develop?  If so what kind of remuneration could they expect from Microsoft for development of aircraft?  

My personal feeling is that this will be a 'closed shop' and Microsoft will continue to develop/improve what is essentially going to be a streaming simulation.

As to the monthly prescriptions, then this could well rise to cover 'development costs of this flight simulation'.  The normal charges are about £7.87 a month or thereabouts, over a year that comes to £94.44 without taking into account any price rises (just think how many Orbx Products you can buy for that) Admittedly you will also be able to access over 100 games on-line.  At the moment they have a Beta price for August (see link below).  For the hard-core simmer that may well be a small price to pay but for me...........I am more than happy to continue flying  X_Plane 11 and Orbx  Sceneries any day.

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-game-pass/pc-games?xr=shellnav

Equally, if you just happen to have problems with internet connections i.e. dropping out as mine does sometimes when flying on-line then it can become increasingly frustrating.

Regards

Nigel.

personally my thoughts now are to just sit back, enjoy my sims that are actually here and working and see how this evolves......lots of 'ifs' & 'maybes' all over the internet and people getting a bit hot under the collar about a video.....lets just see how it pans out, first rule of a new product is raise interest, this they have done, lets just see the next step...

If  you scroll down all games listed alphabetically including Microsoft Flight Simulator where it is written:

• “MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR” (XBOX ONE AND WINDOWS 10 PC). The next generation of our longest-running franchise, “Microsoft Flight Simulator,” is coming to Windows 10 with Xbox Game Pass in 2020, and coming to Xbox One at a later date. “Microsoft Flight Simulator” is specifically designed to celebrate flight simulation fans through a focus on the authenticity of flying and visually stunning environments. By revamping our tech, working in close collaboration with the community and pursuing the best partnerships across the industry, we intend to deliver the best-in-class flight simulation experience.
  • https://news.microsoft.com/2019/06/09/xbox-showcases-60-anticipated-games-including-34-to-premiere-in-xbox-game-pass/
  • Regards
  • Nigel

Randazzo's comments reaffirm my view that this will be more a game, than a game changer. I wish it were otherwise , but I suspect the shear size of the gamers market compared to the sim market (I.e. authenticity) will drive the direction by MS.

Sherm

26 minutes ago, shermank said:

Randazzo's comments reaffirm my view that this will be more a game, than a game changer. I wish it were otherwise , but I suspect the shear size of the gamers market compared to the sim market (I.e. authenticity) will drive the direction by MS.

Sherm

Why do we always have this discussion EITHER a game OR a hardcore sim? The old MSFS series was certainly more game-oriented in the base version (recall the default planes) but was scalable to an ambitious sim via addons, and I still believe this was on the base of its success.

Kind regards, Michael

Remember the FSX Red Bull Air Race mission? That's 'arcade game' stuff. 
Sold millions of copies apparently.
And yet, it is the basis for the majority of stuff on this site and the everything P3D-related that's come along since.

I'll worry about it not being a sim if everything is sandboxed like Flight and/or if there's talk of season passes or in-game purchases.
Until then, I'm optimistic.

41 minutes ago, pmb said:

Why do we always have this discussion EITHER a game OR a hardcore sim? The old MSFS series was certainly more game-oriented in the base version (recall the default planes) but was scalable to an ambitious sim via addons, and I still believe this was on the base of its success.

Kind regards, Michael

Reminds me of the byzantine dispute about the sex of angels. SInce FS1 there has been a game dimension (dogfight). Interestingly enough FS4 brought both "adventures" and kind of a SDK to build our own sceneries, aircraft (and adventures) paving the way for the complex sim environment we are lucky to have today. Who does remember Mallard Software :)?

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

Exactly. ... and it isn't beyond the realms of possibility to have different modes (Easy / Advanced) as many game titles do that may have an effect. Be patient people, this speculation is worthless ... just wait and see ... if it is any good then buy, and if not, then don't ... this is not worth getting hot under the collar about! :)

48 minutes ago, dominique said:

Reminds me of the byzantine dispute about the sex of angels. SInce FS1 there has been a game dimension (dogfight). Interestingly enough FS4 brought both "adventures" and kind of a SDK to build our own sceneries, aircraft (and adventures) paving the way for the complex sim environment we are lucky to have today. Who does remember Mallard Software :)?

I do! I remember Mallard Software! Thanks for the memories Dominique :D

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

Michael, I hope you are correct...we all will be better off with a wide range of choices. 

Sherm

If they haven't spoken to any of the major developers, I'm not sure about their claim to be pursuing the best partnerships.

I'm quite the opposite, turbineseaplane, if not for study-level aircraft, I would have left flight simming long ago. The super-detailed scenery, lighting, and aircraft eye candy is nice, but not essential to me.

45 minutes ago, patful said:

If they haven't spoken to any of the major developers, I'm not sure about their claim to be pursuing the best partnerships.

I'm quite the opposite, turbineseaplane, if not for study-level aircraft, I would have left flight simming long ago. The super-detailed scenery, lighting, and aircraft eye candy is nice, but not essential to me.

Are you a RW pilot also?

I often wonder if I just “get it out of my system” with normal flying perhaps. 

There seems to be a working assumption that Microsoft has learned from its spectacular failure introducing FLIGHT as a simulator. This piloto is not so confident that Microsoft has learned anything. Witness the trailer showed no operating controls. No instruments working, No cockpit panels to be seen. Why? That is what a simulator is supposed to do. You would think that Microsoft would want to show the power of this beast. Then the program is run on Xbox too. How robust are the controls on Xbox to control the aircraft?  What I see is Lucy Brown at Microsoft holding the football for we Charlie Browns to take another run and kick it again only to go flying through the air for a hard landing. The first inkling that this is a point and fly arcade game like FLIGHT will see all the faithful heading to the exits. Yes, wait and see but this piloto trusts not and will stick with what exists until Microsoft comes clean with the specs for this game. Not counting on it. Burned once.

Personally I’m convinced that aerosoft is apart of this project and if they are I don’t think arcade will be the direction... also I’m sure there are other developers in on it but won’t say so until NDA’s are relaxed. Just my thoughts. My gut tells me we have hope with this one. I mean a company like Microsoft will learn financially what not to do from previous studios attempts at it. 

4 hours ago, Piloto said:

Then the program is run on Xbox too. How robust are the controls on Xbox to control the aircraft?

The Xbox has keyboard and mouse support, and Thrustmaster and HORI make Hotas joysticks and rudder pedals for it.  The new Xbox due out next year is going to be powerful (AMD Zen 2 processor with Navi chipset, 24GB of GGDR6 RAM, and an SSD drive), so it shouldn't have any problem running MSFS 2020 @4K 60fps.

https://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tflight-rudder-pedals

https://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tflight-rudder-pedals

http://stores.horiusa.com/ace-combat-7-hotas-flight-stick-for-xbox-one/

A quote from today's FSElite sim news.

"Microsoft’s new flight simulator, using Azure AI to stick together 2 petabytes of geographical data to make the world around you look seamless".

So for sure it will have to be a subscription offer, I doubt we will transfer 2 petabytes on to our computers.

Cheers

Ken

7 minutes ago, Ken Terry said:

A quote from today's FSElite sim news.

"Microsoft’s new flight simulator, using Azure AI to stick together 2 petabytes of geographical data to make the world around you look seamless".

So for sure it will have to be a subscription offer, I doubt we will transfer 2 petabytes on to our computers.

Cheers

Ken

Thanks Ken, that’s too bad.  I won’t be paying a monthly subscription as I like how P3D, X-Plane, and Orbx stuff is a one-time purchase.

Archived