Just downloaded and installed the latest version of P3D.  Don't know why I bothered really.  Can't see any difference from the previous versions.  I suppose its worthwhile to stay up to date but I must say it seems a waste of time.

34 minutes ago, JohnY said:

Just downloaded and installed the latest version of P3D.  Don't know why I bothered really.  Can't see any difference from the previous versions.  I suppose its worthwhile to stay up to date but I must say it seems a waste of time.

2 reasons:

• Much, much faster loading of the scenario (eliminates the looooong wait at Terrain Loading 6%); and
  • Night lighting LOD to a greater distance from the user aircraft.

The first one is such a big deal. I had to wait 15-20 minutes to load a 3rd party EGLC scenery with TrueEarth GB South, now no more than 5.
The second is a nice to have and stops the popping of street lights into view in the near- to mid-distance.

Can't say I've noticed that much difference in loading.  Maybe its not P3D but because I've got so much more on it what with real world scenery, live weather, traffic and so on.  I suppose they each take their time.

Correction.  Yes you're right, it is faster loading. Sorry about that.  I did something wrong.  Don't know what!

I was expecting problems with my real world weather but I see there was an update for it already, got that and everything is hunky-dory again.

Yes, all those, specially Dick Barton.  Do you remember the 'William'  books by Richmel Crompton?  My daughter still has the full set I gave her.  Oh, and what about Al Barley Dell (spelling?)the newsman and Mickey Mouse and Champion comics.

Incidentally, I am a true Cockney born in Bow Maternity Hospital and therefore within the sound of Bow bells......just.....and discounting traffic noise!

More importantly, how on earth did you end up in Rochester,WA?

The 'Just William' books were staple reading for boys when I grew up in the WA AU outback in the early 50s. I still have a few books I received as presents. I seem to remember that as well as the extensive collection in our school library they were still being released about one per year and were highly anticipated. The English life depicted was certainly different to ours in the bush but the adventures boys got up to was familiar.  Biggles was also popular.

I got all the 'Rupert' books and, being Scottish, the annual 'Oor Wullie' and 'The Broons'.  There was a series about a collie and his shepherd named 'Black Bob' that was one of my favorites.  On the radio it was 'ITMA' and 'Much binding in the marsh' - of course Wilfred Pickles and 'Have a go'.  As for how I got to Rochester, it'a a long zig-zag story and, if I had your ability, I'd write a book.

Are you one of those that has been reading my books lately then?  I noticed I seemed to be getting more royalties from Amazon than usual.  They're peanuts really but it does keep me in touch with the fact they're being read.

'if I had your ability, I'd write a book'.  Anyone with a decent command of English and an interesting story to tell can write books .  It sounds as if your biography would be interesting oldendirt.  Why not give it a go?

Just remembered, Hotsper (spelling?) was a decent comic too.  Lots of good stories and an annual to look forward to as a Christmas present.

Strange how times change.  The libraries in England didn't have the Richmel Crompton books while I was growing up. We had to buy them from the local bookshops but they were quite inexpensive and easily affordable from my pocket money.   Mind you, the war was on so I suppose that shortages etc., restricted the libraries on what they could stock.  Also, Richmel Crompton was busy writing them then too.

She, or he had competition too.  What about the girls series of 'Katy' books?  Don't know who wrote them but they seemed popular among the girls at school...when it was open that is!

That reminds me.  I've been meaning to ask.  We used to have a couple of women cotributing to the forums.  One was called 'Sue'.  What happened to them I wonder?  Anyone know?

5 hours ago, JohnY said:

Are you one of those that has been reading my books lately then?  I noticed I seemed to be getting more royalties from Amazon than usual.  They're peanuts really but it does keep me in touch with the fact they're being read.

'if I had your ability, I'd write a book'.  Anyone with a decent command of English and an interesting story to tell can write books .  It sounds as if your biography would be interesting oldendirt.  Why not give it a go?

Just remembered, Hotsper (spelling?) was a decent comic too.  Lots of good stories and an annual to look forward to as a Christmas present.

Strange how times change.  The libraries in England didn't have the Richmel Crompton books while I was growing up. We had to buy them from the local bookshops but they were quite inexpensive and easily affordable from my pocket money.   Mind you, the war was on so I suppose that shortages etc., restricted the libraries on what they could stock.  Also, Richmel Crompton was busy writing them then too.

She, or he had competition too.  What about the girls series of 'Katy' books?  Don't know who wrote them but they seemed popular among the girls at school...when it was open that is!

That reminds me.  I've been meaning to ask.  We used to have a couple of women cotributing to the forums.  One was called 'Sue'.  What happened to them I wonder?  Anyone know?

last I talked to Sue was on the 'Bushpounders' forum several months ago.

Archived