Part 1 - UK WW2 Heritage-Listed RAF Airfields

Enjoy British WW2 aircraft over UK WW2 heritage-listed RAF airfields - Part 1.  Cheers

Spitfire mover Bicester, Oxfordshire, built as a bomber station from 1924 and retains grass airfield, airfield defences, bomb stores, perimeter track and hardstandings added during the Second World War.
qubRwSV.jpg

Hurricane over Biggin Hill, London Borough of Bromley, Britain’s most celebrated fighter station retains officers’ mess (1934) and group of technical and domestic buildings (mostly 1930-34), including the best-preserved married quarters associated with a nationally important site.
95X2XFq.jpg

I live 10 mins from Biggin Hill they have just opened a memorial museum which is fantastic, and we have the Biggin hill heritage flight there also almost a squadron of flying spitfires and other birds. I hope Orbx will one day do Biggin hill in xp11 fingers crossed.

M

Thanks all.

Jack, I am pleased to bring back the memories - I hope they are pleasant!

Martin, you lucky bugger!  I absolutely love Biggin Hill.  I have been several times over past years when in the UK for business or pleasure.  I love the RAF Chapel - so moving.  Here is one of my favourite prints I bought there.  It shows the chapel before the museum was built.  The reflection in the glass is my extensive WW2 collection with a focus on the Battle of Britain - have included some photos which show just part of that collection!  Have not seen the new museum yet, but dying to do so.  Cheers.

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1487.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

Archived