Poole to Bordeaux

well started my flight from Bournemouth but headed to Poole to start my flight  with p3dv4.4 and rex skyforce  and set in the spring .

when i was driving my truck i went from poole on truckling ferries and the crossing would take about 5 hrs but one day it took 18 hrs the sea was so rough and the ship had a flat bottom and it  was not very good in a rough sea  i was ok  the ship sailed at 11.00 pm had dinner and a few beers and went to be but normal i would go to sleep for about 4 hrs and get up for breakfast but this day i had a very long sleep because it took 18 hrs and when we go uk the ship was still rocking from side to side and all the trucks are chained down but some had broken the chains and there was trucks all over the place a right mess  and we where told that one driver had died and that was through being sick and choked poor guy.

when we docked in cherbourg they had to sort the 2 decks out where out trucks where it was a right mess and after a  1 hr they had sorted it out and we where able to drive of the ferry and had to go to customs with all my paper and the permit and Carney for the trailer and then i had to drive to Bordeaux  on my way to Spain the trip will take 10 hrs driving and about 2 hrs brake for coffee  .

i would leave cherbourg  and go to rennes and then to nantes and then on to bordeaux on the N175  and no motorways just normal roads i would be shattered when having broken sleep normaly  having 4 hrs on the ship and driving off and having a hr or 2 and then having to drive but i love the job did it for 35 years and about 4 years of that had my own truck and trailer and running to Spain each week   

i would get just befor Bordeaux and stop for the night at a truck stop at saint genis de saintonge  plenty of wine and french food and all the English drivers would stop there and we can chat and meet old friends i had loads of guys i know  and i have been drunk a few time there but it was good fun driving in Europe and that is why i mainly fly in Europe because it brings back happy memory if when i was driving i hope you liked my story and the link below is truck line ferry's  regards EMM

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=98398

keNv7UK.jpg

1 Bournemouth

zjgNmjI.jpg

2 poole

hpRNI1x.jpg

3 leaving poole the flight took 20 mins the ferry took 5 hrs when i was flying

3m9vDt4.jpg

4 leaving the uk

pIQO10T.jpg

5 arrived at cherbourg

p6Tzvis.jpg

6 mont saint michel you can see this from  the road when i am driving

mb47Xn2.jpg

7 rennes to get to here it would take 4 hrs in my truck and it took just over a hr to fly

3nagNSN.jpg

8 nantes there is a very big bridge that goes over the river you can see it for miles befor

2slnMFd.jpg

9   nantes 2

dV6VKZH.jpg

10 nantes and the airport

XxPXJHV.jpg

11 la roche sur yon

kHQQ2wP.jpg

12  la rochelle

CbOz2fk.jpg

13  la rochelle

u5Pyvvd.jpg

14 crossing the large  river

qqgyJWI.jpg

15  well arrived at bordeaux it took 1 hr 46 mins to fly and it took me 10 hrs driving plus 2 hrs brakes to got in my truck but i still loved it and miss it so much regards EMM

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Great story and post Stewart , you are getting very close to that 10K mark BTW . Your smoking jacket awaits you in the club room , see you soon . :):DB):lol:

Cheers

John

Thanks John i am so pleased you liked my set of shots and my story and yes i am getting near the 10k mark if i had started posting when i joined i would of been well over that by now i joined in may 14 .2010 regards EMM

Great shots Stewart and 10 plus hours on the road is a long time. I've traveled across the U.S. from Army Post to Post or home. I think the longest I have driven was 12 hours with a couple of stops for coffee, ice cold Coca' Cola and a bite to eat.

3 hours ago, M110A2 said:

Great shots Stewart and 10 plus hours on the road is a long time. I've traveled across the U.S. from Army Post to Post or home. I think the longest I have driven was 12 hours with a couple of stops for coffee, ice cold Coca' Cola and a bite to eat.

Thanks M110A2    i am pleased you liked my set of shots and my story i would do that every week to Spain and once i drove 18 hrs to catch a ferry in Italy at Bari to catch a ferry to Albania just stopping for Coffey and that was from Calais when i got of the ferry but i loved my driving and miss it now never mind regards EMM

Archived