TE GB mesh?

• 3 weeks later...

I have just spent the last day or two with TE GB South in P3D. I disabled all the Horizon VFR scenery along with the mesh. The problem I immediately noticed was the TE GB South mesh is missing some hills in my local vicinity. The Horizon 4.8m mesh however depicts these very well. Is there any reason I shouldn't use the Horizon mesh instead of the TE GB South mesh?

One gripe I have, the colour blending towards the green spectrum is over done. The horizon textures as we all know are pretty washed out, however the TE textures kind of look like looking at the ground through a green filter. It shows up particularly on roads and concrete areas. Detail is lost in the resolution of the aerial photography as a result. I love the autogen abundance however I hope the textures are revisited to make them a bit less artistic and more accurate to reality. With hundreds of real world hours in my logbook flying over the UK I am having trouble recognising very familiar routes in the sim just based on the colour alone. 

Basically, please ease off a bit with the blanket green filter.

39 minutes ago, BusheFlyer said:

I have just spent the last day or two with TE GB South in P3D. I disabled all the Horizon VFR scenery along with the mesh. The problem I immediately noticed was the TE GB South mesh is missing some hills in my local vicinity. The Horizon 4.8m mesh however depicts these very well. Is there any reason I shouldn't use the Horizon mesh instead of the TE GB South mesh?

All scenery objects do not just glue to whatever mesh is used.  If you were to use a different mesh, many objects designed and  positioned on the ORBX mesh may not sit properly on the terrain (especially the hand placed ones). 

Rod 

5 minutes ago, stiletto2 said:

All scenery objects do not just glue to whatever mesh is used.  If you were to use a different mesh, many objects designed and  positioned on the ORBX mesh may not sit properly on the terrain (especially the hand placed ones). 

Rod 

Good point and kind of a pity. I have not yet fully explored TE GB South so perhaps the shortcomings with the mesh won't be such an issue in areas I am not intimately familiar with as such.

I've tried using the horizon mesh with TE-GB.  it is more detailed and shows up terrain features more clearly.  Where I've found problems though, is that the irregular shaped buildings that orbx use models to depict, often seem to stick out of the ground too far.  This is particularly true in some places around uk2000 airports, where of course the terrain is blended with the airport using flattens that match the horizon mesh and not TE-GB.

On 4/5/2019 at 6:29 AM, kevinfirth said:

I've tried using the horizon mesh with TE-GB.  it is more detailed and shows up terrain features more clearly.  Where I've found problems though, is that the irregular shaped buildings that orbx use models to depict, often seem to stick out of the ground too far.  This is particularly true in some places around uk2000 airports, where of course the terrain is blended with the airport using flattens that match the horizon mesh and not TE-GB.

Yeah, I must admit I have tried it and I did notice a couple of issues with the TE scenery so far. The thing is though, the south downs really benefit from the horizon mesh, so I guess it is a trade off. At the moment I am sticking with horizon for the mesh.

Archived