Where's the new technology???

tennyson

I came back off holidays ready to put together my new dream machine and it seems the technology has ground to a halt.

What happened to the new Intel CPU's. the new dual 1366 socket motherboards, the new NVIDIA graphic cards???

I wanna build a small cockpit with a centre console with throttles, radios and the like, but the damn hardware is missing.

I see a trend emerging where the new gizmo's are released in the press and then left to field reaction (and sell the current technology at slightly cheaper prices) before a slow release closer to the end of the year.

Am I just getting old, or is the whole technology thing slowing down?

Frank

I feel the same way. Lots of hype about the new products, then nothing. The new i7 930 chips are to be released at the end of the month. I asked the local computer shop and they knew less than me. March is suppose to be the release for N Vidia's products. i cannot find any new data outside this. I get the feeling they intentionally keep it hush hush in order to sell off old stock.

March is suppose to be the release for N Vidia's products. i cannot find any new data outside this.

NVIDIA announced yesterday or the day before that GTX480/470 is going to launch on 26th March. Tech gossip sites are saying the reason for the late launch (Big Green started was aiming for late last year originally) is the horrible time they're having with TSMC's new 40nm process. ATI gained a lot of experience with 40nm design with the 4770 and took the lessons they learned and put them into Evergreen (and even then they had massive shortages with 5800 cards). NVIDIA didn't have the experience and pretty much jumped right in with their big GTX400 chips, and apperently yields were, for a long time, single-digit percentages. The chips that they do have working aren't up to spec so NVIDIA has had to lower clock speed and increase voltage. Apparently the cards NVIDIA showed off at CES were sucking down 280W, which is dangerously close to the 300W cutoff at which the cards don't get PCI-E certified.

This is all rumour of course, as the websites with this information obviously aren't privvy to all of NVIDIA's happenings, but they've been correct about a number of things and NVIDIA have themselves been lowering expectations from what they have previously stated. Obviously not all the rumours are going to be correct, but the signs are pointing to a power-sucking monster chip that isn't much faster than ATI's Cyprus, and one which NVIDIA might not actually make a profit on.

Anandtech - The Cost of Jumping to 40nm - and a page or two on, or read the whole article, it's another great one, among other things it details the problems ATI and NVIDA faced with 40nm TSMC process, a must read

SemiAccurate - NVIDIA's Fermi GTX480 Broken and Unfixable

SemiAccurate - SemiAccurate Gets Some GTX480 Scores

Mike

The new N vidia cards were hyped to perform so well they are suppose to spank ATI's fastest card.  Some trade show footage displayed it's great abilities. Looked at some benchmark of what it is suppose to do and I personally did not believe in the hype. I hope I am wrong and it is all and more they claim.

Even if it is a power hog, but an Olympic performer, an ATI spanker, the "Hot Dog" of cards, 'Da Man", The fastest Draw in the West,  the quintessential super fast final realization of all mankind's hopes and dreams to cure FSX's frames per second problem, ..... errr... I'll buy one.  :P

shape of grey,

I have edited your post so the screenie doesn't show directly, you can agree or disagree, BUT, I do not think this is the appropiate place to vent this type of frustrations, best would be to place a post on the hardware vendors boards so they can reply in appropiate wording to you directly.

shape of grey,

I have edited your post so the screenie doesn't show directly, you can agree or disagree, BUT, I do not think this is the appropiate place to vent this type of frustrations, best would be to place a post on the hardware vendors boards so they can reply in appropiate wording to you directly.

Thanks, I guess?

Not sure why you assumed I was venting some kind of arbitrary frustration. Just though it was a funny pic depicting current state of the upcoming card from Nvidia.

~cheers

Hey Wolter:  I am already considering the best of the new videocards for an upgrade. 

More than anything else I need to know how they perform with FSX.

Unfortunately FSX is not sexy enough for the gamer sites, and those like Guru to use as a benchmark. The only way we ever find out is through the flightsim sites.

If you could persuade Guru or similar, to properly benchmark the new cards (and CPUs) for our game it would be great.  Otherwise here, simaviation, flightsim etc etc are our only source of information.

Archived