PNW - where's my snow?!

MarkH

It's January in PNW but when I load a flight at, say, Darrington or Concrete, I see snow on the ground and the hills for a couple of seconds after the initial load, then it all disappears. I am left with what I presume are the regular winter textures. I have no idea how to trouble-shoot this so would appreciate any pointers :(

P.S. P3Dv4.2, using PTA.

21 minutes ago, BradB said:

Not sure if you are using a WX program Mark , but there is no snow at all in Western Washington currently in the lowlands . Darrington is currently 45F with rain .

I don't think it's weather-dependent - if it's January, I should see snow.

2 hours ago, MarkH said:

I don't think it's weather-dependent - if it's January, I should see snow.

That is a part of our state that rarely ever sees snow , I'm not sure how P3D handles a situation like this . Hopefully someone from Orbx team will chime in on this issue .

Cheers

John

Hi there,

odd. I just checked here in v4.4, with today's date, and there's snow on the ground in Darrington and it stays this way when I move around. With FTX PNW installed, in January there's snow on the ground to about N46.4 meaning most of Washington State; see https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/18695-pnw-textures/?tab=comments#comment-162697

Are you sure you had PNW active? The default seasons control file does have snow-free areas in January for parts of northern Washington.

Cheers, Holger

8 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Are you sure you had PNW active? The default seasons control file does have snow-free areas in January for parts of northern Washington.

I am assuming the only way to not have PNW active is to have it unticked in the scenery library, which it isn't. I suppose I could try ticking it off and then on to see if that makes a difference. I will try that tonight.

I don't know if it's relevant but I installed a lot of Oz stuff recently, including the AU region, a bunch of airports and all the OZx and Ant's airports. Perhaps that can do things to the scenery order that have some detrimental effect?

On further investigation this seems to be related to Active Sky. If I close AS I get my snow back. I tried going to various places where there really should be snow (like Yellowknife, NWT) and it behaves the same. This behaviour seems unexpected. Perhaps I will ask at the HiFi forums.

Hi Mark,

that's interesting. Since the FSX days the sim has a feature that dynamically switches to hard-winter textures if the active weather situation includes snowfall (even in the middle of summer). As far as I know that procedure only works one way but it sounds like perhaps AS or the sim itself now also does the reverse? If so that would be odd since one doesn't need to have active snowfall to have snow on the ground in the real world. It would also clash with the photoreal areas included with the FTX Regions and airports as those have their seasonal switch-over dates encoded in the bgl files themselves. 

Please let us know what the HiFi developers say.

Cheers, Holger

8 minutes ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi Mark,

that's interesting. Since the FSX days the sim has a feature that dynamically switches to hard-winter textures if the active weather situation includes snowfall (even in the middle of summer). As far as I know that procedure only works one way but it sounds like perhaps AS or the sim itself now also does the reverse? If so that would be odd since one doesn't need to have active snowfall to have snow on the ground in the real world. It would also clash with the photoreal areas included with the FTX Regions and airports as those have their seasonal switch-over dates encoded in the bgl files themselves. 

Please let us know what the HiFi developers say.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger, I have posted the question and will report back.

I have P3Dv4.4 and Active Sky, and with today's date, there's snow all over the ground in PNW, including Darrington.

Are you maybe using the historical weather setting in Active Sky (there's only snow in PNW from Jan-01 to Jan-31)? I had accidentally selected a 

date in Active Sky's historical weather function without realizing it, and was then wondering why I was getting such bizarre weather for the season.

- Bob

PS: Sorry, on further thought, I don't think AS's historical weather function could be the problem: AS changes weather, not ground textures as far as I know. You said there was snow when you first loaded in PNW, but then it immediately disappeared. It almost sounds as if something is changing the calendar date in P3Dv4's settings. After the snow disappears, what calendar date is showing in P3Dv4?  

58 minutes ago, BBCM said:

After the snow disappears, what calendar date is showing in P3Dv4?  

It's not behaving rationally as far as I can tell, the date's correct :(  Maybe there's some subtle gotcha that I'm missing...

6 hours ago, W2DR said:

What am I missing here?

That my P3D ground textures are not working as designed. We all know that P3D terrain textures are independent of the actual weather, but that's not the problem I am trying to fix.

Well, the only other things I can think to try (if you haven't already done so) are,

First, make sure that AS is not using historic or custom weather: go into the AS menu, click on the "WX Control" tab at the very top, and make sure the resulting

screen says that "Live Weather Mode is active". I don't think AS's historic mode would effect P3Dv4's internal calendar date, but I don't know for a fact.

Second, double check in your Scenery Library that there aren't any other sceneries above the Orbx sceneries that might effect the ground textures for PNW.

In particular, if you are also using OpnenLC NA, make sure it's loading below PNW and the other Orbx FTX entries (you can set that using the "Insertion Points"

in your FTX Central settings).

Third, go into FTX Central and into the Control Panels for PNW  and Orbx Libraries, and click the "Verify Files" buttons., just in case the winter ground texture

files somehow got over-written. Running the "Verify Files" might take about 15 to 20 minutes for each.

Sorry, that's all I can think of at the present time. While it's true that in real life  we're having one of the mildest winters on record here in the Pacific Northwest,

and hardly a trace of snow anywhere below 4000 ft, I find it's nice at times to fly over a winter wonderland in PNW, particularly up into the Cascades, or over the

Coastal Mountains to the north of Vancouver.

I hope something here can help.

- Bob 

DUH. Okay, perhaps I do have snow after all...

I discovered that when the sun is out it looks a lot better. I have long observed that my P3D cloud shadows are very dark and sometimes look like black smoke swirling over the landscape. Under an overcast, evidently the cloud shadows mean that snow shows up as a dirty dark grey colour, rather like bare rock! :huh:  I have also found that PTA will let me tweak the cloud shadow density, so that's where I will go in due course.

Archived