True Earth size for upcoming regions

big-mike

I just bought a 6 Teras one, I was running out of space in my 2 Teras (and I'm still missing a lot of Orbx products but I also have tons of 3rd party add-ons), currently reinstalling everything ( I chose that method)

The Netherlands is about 70+ Gigas so GB's got to be bigger, I will rather be prepared  :)

Let's see what they tell us about the size

Cheers

Guest Colin M

Yes, just noticed this and had posted elsewhere on the forum regarding buying a dedicated XP11 and TE SSD ... I'm not sure if I'll go for P3D TE scenery? What we have there already and with compatible third party is fine for me.

Happy to have the ORBX TE scenery's on XP11 only for foreseeable future.

Large capacity SSD's are expensive though and I know about initial load times are quicker and there after no difference when sim is running, but find it hard not to use SSD's for my FS rig that is performance orientated.

Would be nice to know rough SSD/HD size expectations for TE in projected years for products planned please? Just a rough idea would be fine, especially so for those investing in new PC builds in our hobby.

I know, how long is a piece of string etc, but a rough idea perhaps ... borderline buying a Samsung 2TB SSD just for Xplane 11 here and ORBX TE scenery's, just wondering if that will be enough for Xplane 11?

Just a thought but it might be a good idea to have this information available on the product page like the TE NE product does.  This could be helpful to some buyers

Note: this product requires at least 200GB of free disk space for installation. The final installed size is 76.5GB.

Good afternoon,

I was wondering about the True Earth regions, with the size of these being so large, can these regions be installed on their separate portable HD and then enabled in the Scenery Library if flying in these regions???

Thanks,

Larry

Yes they can Larry. See Nick's post here:  

I'm running a full FSX installation (all ORBX products) with a junction link from the OS (C) drive (where FSX was originally installed) to a 500GB external SSD (D drive) installed in a USB3 docking station and it works just fine. I could have only linked the ORBX folder but I have very few add-ons installed other than ORBX so I just went ahead and moved the whole thing from C to D. As we get further into the "TE world" I'll do the same thing with a large conventional HDD for P3Dv4.....I just wish I knew how big the new HDD will have to be :)..........Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the info, I'm interested in trying it out. I have several portable 2TB WD HHD that aren't being used at this time.

My next question would be : Would I see a noticeable improvement if I were to use a portable SSD as opposed to a portable HHD, as both use a USB 3.1 connection?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

In my experience it takes about twice as long to do the initial load from the HDD when connected via USB3.1.  I'd try it on the external HDD you have and see if the initial load time is acceptable. The load times on both the SDD and the HDD will be slower because of the USB connection but if the times are acceptable on the HDD you'll save a lot of money (the in-game performance will be the same on either the SSD or the HDD)..........Doug

I wouldn't buy any new SDD's now for True Earth until after ORBX releases a few TE regions, Reason why is you will over pay now for the future, or in 6 months to a year from now when ORBX has released more you can buy better and bigger SSD's for a much lesser price.

On 12/19/2018 at 2:53 PM, W2DR said:

In my experience it takes about twice as long to do the initial load from the HDD when connected via USB3.1.  I'd try it on the external HDD you have and see if the initial load time is acceptable. The load times on both the SDD and the HDD will be slower because of the USB connection but if the times are acceptable on the HDD you'll save a lot of money (the in-game performance will be the same on either the SSD or the HDD)..........Doug

Hi Doug

As I was not sure about third-party add-ons installing correctly via the link, I decided to reinstall all in my new drive

When you install 3rd pty sceneries that install files in other folders and even in Sode, do they work fine for you through this link?

Thanks

Carlos

They will install fine using the junction link. As far as the add-on knows, the installation is still on the drive where the link resides. Where the problem comes in is if you try to just move an existing installation (leaving all the old registry entries) some add-ons will no longer work. Those will have to be uninstalled first and reinstalled after the old installation is moved.

7 hours ago, W2DR said:

They will install fine using the junction link. As far as the add-on knows, the installation is still on the drive where the link resides. Where the problem comes in is if you try to just move an existing installation (leaving all the old registry entries) some add-ons will no longer work. Those will have to be uninstalled first and reinstalled after the old installation is moved.

Hi

Thanks a lot for confirming.

I though of moved the Addons scenery folder to the drive and then create this link but I feared a mess. I know Orbx works as Nick has explained to me but then I decided to reinstall for better for good.

Thanks a lot Doug

5 hours ago, W2DR said:

I was able to move mine because I had very few add-ons and none of them created registry entries. You're doing it right.....a complete reinstall is almost always the better and safer option....Doug

I do have more 3er party than Orbx that's why I hesitated.

Thanks a lot for your time

Cheers

Archived