L05 Kern Valley Airport - Multiple 'crash boxes'

Sloppysmusic

Hi,

there seem to be a lot of areas around the airport where anyone with crash detection ON (me always) cannot maneuverer.

ie:

parking 6

parking 1

approaching tower on taxiway from north.

In fact with CD ON only the runway itself is safe. Starting free flight from parking spots in most aircraft results in immediate crash and taxiing on any taxiway to and from parking also crashes.

Note this kind of thing is very rare in your product range. Personally only noticed this with KBLU before and that ended up getting fixed (yay!).

CYBD approaching run way from parking is another example (will have to check again that being avoiding it for over a year for that reason)

This is  a very challenging and pretty little spot to land a LearJet at (what I was using) so turning CD off would defeat the point of the challenge.

In the meantime I have plenty other locations to explore!

Thanks

Russ

Instead of posting multiple threads whenever an airport is unusable with CD ON I will just post results as I find them here.

2B2 Plum Island.

Impossible to taxi at all or use most of parking spaces with free flight giving instant crashes.

Also the crash box around the vehicles before start of rwy 28 continues some 20 feet in the air so unless you come in way high and drop it in landings via 28 or take offs via 10 are almost impossible.

Begs the question... why don't you just follow the 99% of simmers who elect to turn off crash detection and instead rely on their own wits to decide if they've crashed.  The crash detection function is hardly realistic anyway, which is why most people are happy to turn it off.

EDVR Rinteln

Free flight start at Parking 1 instant crash GA aircraft (A2A Mustang)

On 11/30/2018 at 4:53 AM, John Dow said:

Begs the question... why don't you just follow the 99% of simmers who elect to turn off crash detection and instead rely on their own wits to decide if they've crashed.  The crash detection function is hardly realistic anyway, which is why most people are happy to turn it off.

Because I belong to the considerably higher than 1% of serious simmers who fly challenging aircraft such as the A2A Mustang (note above crash and aircraft damage) and take enjoyment and challenge from taxiing, flying and landing these beasts safely in small airfields with difficult approaches, such as yours.

Crashing while just loading up a parking spot is .....disappointing.

Talking about 1%, I probably AM in the 1% of simmers who own every single product of yours, and therefore notice after enjoying literally hundreds of wonderful airfields how rare it is to find these instant crash spots. I think I have found 4 in all 300 or so of them (lost count).

Therefore the perfectionist in me as an ex coder myself feels obliged to offer free reports to your company, in a pleasant and affable way, of issues that may bother others than myself more seriously. I have several hundred other options to fly with after all....

:D

I've noted remarks by some developers that it is next to impossible to find the cause of various crash boxes discovered by us users.  I don't expect any solutions and therefore fly with crash detection OFF.  You are free to fly with crash detection ON, of course, but don't expect any solutions to these pesky crash boxes.  You are not the only one flying challenging aircraft into challenging locations.  Still, those of us who fly with crash detection OFF still accept the challenges without insisting on flying with crash detection ON.

4 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I've noted remarks by some developers that it is next to impossible to find the cause of various crash boxes discovered by us users.  I don't expect any solutions and therefore fly with crash detection OFF.  You are free to fly with crash detection ON, of course, but don't expect any solutions to these pesky crash boxes.  You are not the only one flying challenging aircraft into challenging locations.  Still, those of us who fly with crash detection OFF still accept the challenges without insisting on flying with crash detection ON.

Appreciate the reply, however I remember a few people complained about KBLU and the winter grass crash situation there (if I remember correctly) and that was eventually solved. If anything this thread can be helpful for those people who fly with CD ON choosing which airports to buy (or NOT to buy as there are way fewer of those affected).

My strong opinion here is that if 300 airports are error free then 4 can be fixed in time. 

Flying last night in the twin turboprop Cheyenne II, I lost both engines (for some unknown reason, probably a fuel issue), and was finally able to accomplish a wheels up landing at a nearby airport--wheels up because I had no hydraulics.  If I had had crash detection enabled, I would not have been able to successfully land the airplane with wheels up.  P3D would have detected a crash and the flight ended abruptly.  Thus, crash detection turned OFF.

Hi 

Yes, crash detection was a flawed broken feature of the core simulator and conceived before the evolution of 3rd party addons started becoming popular. Developers have always done their best to accommodate it but there are many instances where it is not possible with the ever more complex addons being developed (hence the few that you do encounter) so it is probably not economically feasible for them to waste their precious creative time trying to fully accommodate a very unpopular broken feature.

I believe the most hard core flight simmers with the multi PC setups would never tolerate a flawed crash detection feature that would shut down their experience without their consent, they know when they have crashed. I also believe that if the ability to turn it off did not exist, the flight simming business would also not exist.  :)

So I guess another way to see the reality of it is that some modern addons are simply not going to be fully compatible with ancient features.

Archived