Paper planes and liltle kids

HI all.  Had a great "flyers'" moment in church this morning. A little boy named Paul sits with his mother and grandparents behind us each Sunday. He and I visit a bit. This morning, I asked hum if he had brought candy for us all. He had not, but asked his mother if he could bring candy next week. She agreed to send a handful of their leftover stale Halloween candle. I asked Paul what I should bring, and he lit up. "Pastor says we can fly a paper airplane from the balcony! You can bring a paper airplane!" So next week I am going to help Paul launch from the balcony. We are going to try to reach all the way to the chancel in front--probably fifty fee downhill.  I feel like my entire reputation as an aviator is on the line.

Well Rodger, I hope t all goes well. Not only can you not let the young lad down, but all of us here are counting on you! No pressure at all.  

Got out to tell you about this though. I have two grandsons, 8 and 4. The 8 year old is on this olden days kick ( I think my step son primes him for the questions he asks). So here we go. I quote, “ Pappy, I know you are a pilot, but what did you do in the olden day before airplanes were invented.” My answer, “ Well, my arms got tired real quick!”

Mind you, I will be 64 in May of 2019! Grand kids can suck sometimes!

1 hour ago, wblackret said:

Well Rodger, I hope t all goes well. Not only can you not let the young lad down, but all of us here are counting on you! No pressure at all.  

Got out to tell you about this though. I have two grandsons, 8 and 4. The 8 year old is on this olden days kick ( I think my step son primes him for the questions he asks). So here we go. I quote, “ Pappy, I know you are a pilot, but what did you do in the olden day before airplanes were invented.” My answer, “ Well, my arms got tired real quick!”

Mind you, I will be 64 in May of 2019! Grand kids can suck sometimes!

:lol: I have to ask -- did you pull it off? Did your grandson bite and believe? 

6 hours ago, wblackret said:

I got the deer in the headlights look accompanied by “Oh.......wow.”

Assuming you are referring to my now-panicking eyes, wblackret, the comments above have really put the pressure on. My whole life rides on this. I'm about to make Paul's plane, and he and I will launch it from the balcony tomorrow. The event will end either with a delighted little boy or a bitterly sobbing child. Wish us well! :D

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I am pleased to announce that today's church balcony airplane launch went well. LIttle Paul (about five years old and about as big as a lawn bug) was thrilled to see the plane I'd brought for him. His mom and grandfather kept him in his seat through the service, but barely. Directly following the service and after rechecking that we had the necessary permissions, we climbed to the balcony. Down below, a small crowd of family and friends had gathered for Paul's attempt. The look on the kid's face was worth it right there and then.  

Launch went well. The plane sailed out for about ten yards then started an increasingly steep dive. It made it to within two pews of the chancel. When I made it plain to Paul that he now held the official church record for paper plane distance, you would have thought he was lifting an Olympic Medal. One excited little boy!

Now Paul is going to spend a week with his Dad and Grandfather making his own plane. He is quite sure that he will break the record with a better design. I didn't tell him that I had spent a whole darned half-hour making the current one. Let him learn through his own vicissitudes!

Thanks to all for tuning in. I will report any further progress. :smile:

Archived