Proposed Upgrade - Comments Sought!

nigelgrant

I would appreciate comments on my proposed upgrade.  My existing specs are shown to the left and initially my dealer suggested an upgrade of RAM from 6Gb to 16GB, as being “the best bang for the buck”.  My system was running well but labouring a bit around the PNW area with all its heavy scenery (P3Dv4 - blurries and stutters), and he figured the increase in RAM would help a lot.

But, my CPU and mbo are nine years old and I am concerned buying more RAM might be throwing good money after bad, who knows now when they might fail……………..

He proposes the following:

·       Intel Core-i5 8600k unlocked 6-core processor

·       Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO high performance socket LGA1151 heatsink/fan

·       Asus Prime Z370-A Intel chipset socket LGA1151 motherboard

·       Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4-3000MHz kit w/red heatsinks (2x8GB)

The stock turbo frequency of this processor’s 6 cores is 4.3GHz and he considers he should be able to overclock it to 5.0GHz +/- 200MHz.

My simming is usually one to two hours several times a week at a desktop with a 24” flat screen monitor.

Any observations?

Nigel

Vancouver

Hello.

As your present system has 6 GB of RAM is it triple channel, 3 x 2GB?

If so, 12 GB would be the next step, 3 x 4GB then 24 GB, 3 x 8GB.

Or is it 1 x 4GB and an upgrade of 1 x 2GB or some other combination?

I would have thought that your "dealer" is right, the rest of your specs should

be perfectly adequate.

Even the owners of the very latest and most expensive

hardware see a performance decrease in FSX and P3D in difficult places.

If on the other hand you consider the expense of the RAM is too risky, then

do upgrade the CPU and motherboard but that is a separate question from

the most cost effective solution.

Thx Nick for your, as usual, thoughtful and constructive opinions. My existing RAM can be expanded easily to 18 GB but the crux of my thinking is in your last para. I am approaching 84 and “most cost effective” starts becoming a bit “idealistic?”, pleasure is more practical!

I haven’t made up my mind yet, but upgrading the mbo and RAM to 16GB, keeping my existing CPU and cooler, is another viable option, assuming that the CPU could be replaced easily if it fails. I am going to let the sub-conscious brain cells work for a while.

Nigel

9 hours ago, nigelgrant said:

but upgrading the mbo and RAM to 16GB, keeping my existing CPU and cooler, is another viable option, assuming that the CPU could be replaced easily if it fails.

This I would definitively not do, as your current CPU needs an "old" mainboard and there is basically no chance of "replacing" the CPU if it is dying. New CPU and old mainboards are simply not compatible (and vice versa). So, it is really either upgrading your RAM only or replacing CPU, MoBo and RAM alltogether.

• 4 weeks later...

Thx for everyone's comments, I decided to go whole hog. I upgraded to the i5-8600 from an i7- 920, from 6GB RAM to 16GB, and a new mbo.  My dealer has o'clocked it to 5 MHz from 4 MHz - what a difference. I can now land at CYVR in the Dash 8 at over 20 fps and no blurries, lots of AI traffic, haven't tried with Active Sky yet. Before it was like a slide show and lots of blurries.  All my other programs were unaffected and Windows 10 remained intact after the installation.

Nigel

Good to hear Nigel!  I think that if it didn't break the bank and considering your time investment in flight simulation, it was a wise investment.

I'm speaking from a somewhat selfish perspective about your experience, as today I outlayed a large sum of money for a new custom system, even though my current one is still functioning.  To be honest, I have no regrets.  I spend so much time using my PC, and as the software has become more demanding, I find my enjoyment being affected as my current PC struggles to keep up.  There are plenty of sims, planes and places I can fly comfortably, but there are a growing number of sims, planes and places where my system won't allow a decent frame rate or visuals, no matter how much I adjust my settings.

If we both think of our investment on a per day or per hour basis, I think we have both done OK.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

When my father died I inherited his computer which had FSX and Orbx programs incorporated, FTX Global, FTX Global open LC Europe, FTX Global Vector.

For several years now I have used the programs especially FSX with success. Along the way I purchased a further Orbx program, FTX EU ENG and was perfectly satisfied. Just recently I was about to purchase FSX SE and someone said I had to update from FTX Central to FTX Central 3. This I tried to do and now everything is screwed up.

I tried to re do my Orbx programs which removed a number of Orbx files and downloaded more programs and then was asked to put in the Keys to make them work. Although I could put in the one for FTX EU ENG because I purchased it I could not put in the Keys for the other three Orbx programs because my father bought them when Orbx first came out and I cannot now find out where he origionally bought them. I tried to reverse everything but have got myself into a proper jam. What can I do?

I am sorry if this question is not for this upgrade site and would be very obliged if it could be directed to where it should go.

Brian Barber England.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick

I am sorry to see your reply. I have used my fathers computer since I inherited it when he died and have enjoyed the scenery supplied by orbx to him but unfortunately I do not have much money to obtain the original orbx programs so I will have to go without, my children obviously come first. I will now run FSX without Orbx. By to you all. Brian

Archived